DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

P2290
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
cpeacock6

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
P2290

Quote:
Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Engine control - 5TL / Diesel CR/EDC SID 20x Status :P0405 - Exhaust-gas recirculation sensor A. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic. Status :P140A - Exhaust gas recirculation sensor C. Error Message : Malfunction. Error static. Status :P1335 - EGR valve - position. Error Message : Malfunction. Error static. Status :P0404 - Exhaust gas recirculation control A. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic. Status :P2290 - Fuel pressure monitoring. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic.We have recovered your vehicle.#Tow Pole suspect faulty fuel lift pump ,, fuses ok

Here's what happened;

Driving along, went to accelerate up a hill, and it stalled. Showing ESF on the info screen. Turned off and back on and nothing, can hear the starter but no life in the engine. Rang AA, they did usual checks, it still had full electrics, about a 1/4 tank of diesel. He tried some Easy Start and the engine tried to fire into life. Got it towed home. Few days later, I went to check it over having googled the potential LPFP issue. So I opened the bonnet and tried the Schrader valve and there was no fuel. I turned the key to cycle the pump and it didn't make any usual sound it used to, however when I tried the Schrader valve again, there is a trickle of diesel. When I found a few videos on YouTube, when people have tried the Schrader valve it spits out at force. Would I be right assuming the LPFP isn't proving enough fuel under pressure?

Back ground of the vehicle:

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 6spd Auto. Classic signs of a failing TC, judders under acceleration, gutless, very bad fuel consumption. I put Shudderfix in to mask the judder for now and it's been hidden for a year or so. I have to keep my foot on the accelerator to maintain any kind of speed and revs. It's just over 200k miles. I've literally just bought front discs and pads, front caliper, handbrake shoes, front upper arms, rear upper arms and brake pipes so I'm a bit rooked and hoping not to have to buy the whole LPFP module and get away with just the inner pump for now.

Unfortunately, I have severed one of my Achilles tendons and am awaiting an appointment to see if I need surgery or whatever, so it's currently parked halfway up the street until I am able to get to it.

Post #223715020th Jun 2021 10:15 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You wont get away with just a pump, there was a thread about 6 months ago where the pump was replaced three times in six months. Then a genuine unit was fitted and has worked perfectly ever since.
Its quite tricky to get the pump located and secured in the tank you dont really want to do it multiple times
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #223716320th Jun 2021 11:08 am
jenseneverest

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

+1 Thumbs Up i too tried just the pump and was a total waste of time / money, it lasted 3 months.
Buy the full pump and do it once.

Post #223719120th Jun 2021 1:18 pm
cpeacock6

Not what was I hoping to hear Sad as with everything else in my Disco it's always the whole hog... Maybe one day she will give me some time to drive it, rather be a street ornament. Whistle

Thanks for the input guys.

Post #223732721st Jun 2021 9:31 am
cpeacock6

Against everyone's advise we just replaced the pump from the lpfp but alas it still does nothing.

So the car was sat for 4 weeks, battery obviously went flat in that time, so. When we went to do the job, we had to take it out and put it on charge while we dropped the tank and changed the pump. The same tank that was only held in by 4 bolts, well now it's only held in by 2 since 2 of them snapped in the process (don't worry, it's a non runner and we have no intention of driving it with only 2 bolts holding the cradle in).

So, battery charged, tank put back together with the new pump. Yes, I know, I have a fuel filter to swap out the current one but it took my wife 8 hours to get to this point, so we didn't change that. That said, we cycled the ignition a couple of times and you can hear the lpfp, albeit rather dodgy sounding, fire up and yes, it draws fuel to the Schrader valve which does have a more increased flow when pressed after a few cycles.

But still nothing. We did a hard reset also which cleared the ESF message, but that came back shortly after trying to fire it up.

Any other suggestions?

I have no access to a decent code reader. We have popped the battery back out and put it on charge as it started to drop being cycled several times.

Post #224223117th Jul 2021 7:46 pm
Sea Raider

better location may result in someone being close to you with an IID or similar

Post #224223917th Jul 2021 8:41 pm
cpeacock6

Oops, I'm in Bo'ness (EH51), Falkirk area.

Post #224224017th Jul 2021 8:45 pm
Sea Raider

i may be in the G67 area during the week, if so i'll give you a shout but bearing in mind will only read and clear codes and possibly live values.

You have a very good Indy on your doorstep (Larbert)

Post #224224217th Jul 2021 8:47 pm
cpeacock6

I wouldn't want to put you out of your way, that's still 30 mins or so from me

I've been to Gemm4x4 a few times for parts but currently on a mega tight budget hence why we didn't replace the full module at the time.

Post #224224417th Jul 2021 8:52 pm
Sea Raider

Thumbs Up

Post #224224517th Jul 2021 9:00 pm
cpeacock6

I think, the rear belt has come off. I went out for a nosey today and I can just see through to the back of the engine and the cover was open, I can just get my fingers in and it feels really loose.

Post #224233518th Jul 2021 2:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >