Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

Papekani - D3 TDV6 SE 2008 Stornaway Grey
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
papekani

United Kingdom 
Papekani - D3 TDV6 SE 2008 Stornaway Grey

Thought I’d say a proper hello, having lurked for a while. Just bought myself a 2008 D3 SE with 105k on the clock. It came with a pretty much full service history (by mileage at least) and a new MoT so I’m hoping I haven’t bought a pup. It seems to be in decent condition for its age, with only two tiny golf ball dings and a bit of flaky paint on the upper boot where the PO had fixed a rear ladder (which is for sale if anyone is looking for one). Interior is pretty good too. It’s not going to do many miles, as it will be a second vehicle for me to get around the Gloucestershire hills and lanes when SWMBO takes the main car - a 2022 Ford Kuga PHEV - to work.

Way back when forums were cool, I had a D2 and was an active member of the D2BC (back then I was ‘alpacaman’ but the alpacas have long since gone) and even attended a few Peterbog camps. Since then, I’ve had a variety of vehicles, including a Discovery Sport and a 1986 LR90. After our move from Norfolk to Gloucestershire, SWMBO’s daily commute is perfect for the PHEV so she’s commandeered that, and I vowed not to be seen dead driving her Peugeot 2008, so that went off a few weeks ago and I started the hunt for a D3.

So far, I’ve done very little apart from drive it back, take it for a valet, and scrub the steering wheel within an inch of its life in an attempt to remove 15 years of sweaty palms and sticky fingers (and hopefully nothing worse). But I’m sure there’ll be some trials, tribulations, and dumb questions to come. So here I am!

Post #23322764th Apr 2023 8:36 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi! And welcome!

As a former D2BC “forum member” i can assure you, the D3 guys are as helpfull as you are used to.
Forum etiquette has changed a little since the old days i am afraid but i skip the “facebook like one liner type’s” as much as i can Cool

I am sure you will enjoy your D3 as much as you did your D2. Although not as cosy as a D2 inside, it is a better, clearly more modern motor all together…

I own mine for 3 years now, still loving it everyday..

The search button above, will answer most of your questions, otherwise, just ask!
Thumbs Up

Cheers
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #23322864th Apr 2023 10:17 pm
papekani

United Kingdom 

Seeing as the car's last "proper" service was in 2020, I took it to New Barn Cars in Cheltenham this morning for a full inspection. Expecting the worst, I was pleasantly surprised by the list of issues:
  • Slight play to the driver's front inner steering arm (noted on MoT)
  • Parking brake cable guides very worn
  • Passenger front CV boot split
  • Slight coolant leak from the thermostat housing and coolant level low
  • A/C pressure low, re-gas and leak check needed
  • Battery failed the battery test as bad – replace
  • Air suspension tank corroded
  • Rear brake pipes have been replaced and routed badly but still operational
  • Front brake discs worn and lipped
  • Pre-heater not working

Current battery is a Bosch S5 013, so have ordered a new Yuasa HSB019 from Halfrauds. Will probably get them to do the re-gas at some point too.

Any pointers on the other items most welcome, particularly what can be done on the drive with ramps vs. a full garage job. But at least it doesn't look like I've been sold a pup!

Post #233301111th Apr 2023 3:40 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

When were the belts changed and gearbox flushed. Also, which oil pump has it got?
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #233301411th Apr 2023 3:44 pm
papekani

United Kingdom 

Belts done in 2020 (13000 miles ago). No indication from invoices supplied that gearbox has been flushed nor oil pump changed.

Post #233301711th Apr 2023 3:50 pm
papekani

United Kingdom 

Had this private plate for over 20 years. Finally it’s found its rightful home! 🤣

Post #233332114th Apr 2023 5:00 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

If it isn't used much it may be worth looking at a CTEK charger and keeping it on trickle charge as they are very voltage dependant and lower voltages give rise to lots of silly niggly faults.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #233343016th Apr 2023 8:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
papekani

United Kingdom 

Thanks. I have one that I use to keep my classic car’s battery maintained, so will swap them over every now and again.

Post #233350716th Apr 2023 6:53 pm
onetwentie

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Hi papekani and welcome!

I too have just bought (my 2nd) D3 after having sold my last one. Mine is also a 2008. I think it's the same colour as yours actually, I will use the chassis number to work out the paint code on mine.

Your car looks lovely btw. Will be interesting to follow your progress in terms of work you do to it. From what I have learned (and read) so far, I think the oil pump, the belts and the EGR are the main things that are suggested by most, oh and the transmission flush as already alluded to by Moo.

Post #233684717th May 2023 2:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >