Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

Persistent air suspension failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
skullofamangeymonkey

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Persistent air suspension failure

Hello list, my Disco 3 had an amber suspension warning light on it so went to the garage, an independent but does loads of Landrovers. He couldn't find a fault so suggested I carried on until the fault came obvious. Inevitably, the red warning light came on, the car sank to its knees and limped me home.

On and off and the one year old compressor pumped it all back up, slowly, and it stayed up for night slowly sinking. They had it back for two weeks and couldn't find an obvious leak but changed the air tank which was corroded and showing bubbles when sprayed with soap. Also changed the front right height sensor. They swear they couldn't get it to repeat the red light fault but it was low when I picked it up but rapidly rose and looked ok.

5 mins into my journey home, red light, 30mph max and low again. Got it home and re-inflated the thing, which was quick with the new air tank and it sat on my drive for two weeks without going low, then started to at the rear slowly. Inflated again and up all week with no sign of dropping and no warning lights. Drove it back to the garage for them to have another go and 2 mins in, red light, 30 mph and flat.

Read codes on my cheap reader and got U0421, C1A73 (which is the same sensor).

So it collapses only when I'm moving, and straight down like a brick all over, not gently or slowly.

Doesn't make sense to me that it's a bag leak, as to empty so quickly, surely it would not hold air ever?

Sorry for the long ramble, but I figured detail would be helpful. Any thoughts appreciated as I am slightly at wits end.

Click image to enlarge

All the best, Chris.

Post #236507124th Mar 2024 7:49 pm

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

It sounds like it's getting a faulty value and the ECU decides it's best to deflate all air. I would look at the relevant sensor wiring, check that the correct part was fitted and perhaps a suspension calibration as first steps.
 Defender 110 SE 2021, Tasman Blue
Discovery 1 V8 ES 1997, Epsom green
Discovery 3 V8 HSE 2006, Bonatti Grey
Range Rover V8 1983, Sierra Silver 

Post #236508624th Mar 2024 10:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >