Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Potential D4 Commercial Purchase??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Sit

England 
Potential D4 Commercial Purchase??

Evening - not new here but never got round to buying a D3/D4 despite previous postings, I have owned two RRS however. A beautiful 2010 TDV6 Luxury in Nara Bronze with Arabica interior and a 2012 SDV6 Fierenze Red with black leather. Both wonderful places to while away time and cover great distances in absolute comfort however I now NEED a D4 in my life.

The daughter has a horse and we drag a box all over the place most weekends and fill the boot up with all manner of horse related gumph including hay and the like. I recently ran a Navar Tekna which was a great fit for the horse aspect however the other 80% of the time it was a compromised family car so I moved that on and wanted to turn the tables and buy something that coped with the 80% demands better but could still tow and negotiate muddy car parks and grass paddocks on the weekends.

Enter a D4.

Looking at HSE models 2014 on for the facelift I found a few potential examples that piqued my interest and then on Sat evening one final check of Auto Trader before I went to bed and BOOM a 2015 Commercial SE about 10mins from my house. I couldn't not view it but hadn't really considered a commercial - this does have the added benefit of a leather(ette) rear bench and 3 seat belts fitted.

Read up on the pros and cons and to be honest it might be a bit better than an HSE - we don't need 7 seats (family of 3) and the hardwearing 'van' floor is perfect for filling with all manner of stinky horse equipment.

So I viewed the D4 this eve and I was mightily impressed it’s fair to say. Originally bought by a company MD and specced up to exploit the tax/VAT and then used it as a personal car it’s had a relatively easy life.

The rear bench was comfortable although a bit awkward to fold as it needed a person on each side to pull the mechanism, lift and fold simultaneously but not the end of the world - it may be beneficial for me in time if if buy it to fit a 60/40 bench from an HSE/SE - is this possible?

It had LR history up to 2020 when Inchcape delivered a £4.5k bill for service, batteries, bottom arms, brakes all round, two tyres, EPB repair/replacement - quite eye watering but hope that stands me in good stead that these things have been done and since that service it has seen little mileage year on year.

The dealer is doing a full belt service (both belts) and new MOT along with two new Pirelli Scorpion tyres on the front as they have worn (evenly it was nice to note!)

Rear windows checked and fully operational, doors/boot latches all working, suspension into all heights and kept the level with no sagging/dropping, engine was as quiet as a mouse and it was a lovely place to sit.

I think I am going to go for it but would be good to know about the seat ‘upgrade’ also can anyone tell me the tax per annum on it please?

Cheers

Si

Post #234820418th Sep 2023 9:15 pm
GLYNNE

England 

Hi, I have a commercial and I think the Tax is £320 a year now. I also have the second row seats which are standard Discovery rear seats. The back row isn’t installed and just has the hatch u dear the floor.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #234820618th Sep 2023 9:40 pm
Maddpuk

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Si. I was similarly considering a commercial before settling on my D4, but ultimately opted for the car version.
My main concern was the risk of speeding tickets and the likelihood that I’d keep forgetting to stick to the lower limits that apply, given the driving experience is basically car-like.
VED should be £320 I believe, for 12 months.
Also, pretty certain proper seats can be fitted, though they’re a rare find, as usually the more basic bench seats are fitted.
Paul
 2014 Discovery 4 HSE
2013 Insignia Sports Tourer BiTurbo 4x4 SRi
2004 S2000
Honda FourTrax TRX300
- Paul 

Post #234820718th Sep 2023 9:43 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The issue with original rear seats is that the original mountings are cut out at the commercial build stage .
Again you need to consider the speeding ticket issues . Also if its euro six age it will only be euro 5 as the commercial was never made with euro six which may cause issues down the line . This will also mean the vehicle wont be quite the same drive as the EU6 version in the car.

Post #234822019th Sep 2023 7:18 am
Sit

England 

Thanks all, some useful points I hadn't necessarily considered.

Around the seat mounting how are the standard Disco seats fitted into your Disco GLYNNE? Did you have to fabricate something for them to fit? This is where I get a little uncomfortable when you have to venture off the beaten path especially when it comes to something likes seats/safety/seatbelts. It may well be then that I either have to accept the rear bench as it is or go back to the drawing board for an HSE.

The speed thing intrigues me - so are we talking about fixed cameras or safety camera ones in the vans? I assume that it only really applies on dual carriageways and motorways as in a 30mph liit everyone will be doing 30mph. Having said that the internet suggests that LCV is 70mph on a motorway and 60mph on a dual carriageway so by the letter of the law its only restrictive in as far as you can't drive at 70mph on a dual carriageway as you could in a car right?

Also just checked on the Motorway ULEZ checked and the Commercial is Euro 5 so non-compliant but the HSE I was looking at of the same vintage is also only Euro 5 so also non-compliant.

I think the biggest consideration for me is whether I can get my head around the 'appearance' of the rear bench. I hopped up into it yesterday and it seemed comfortable but I don't know if that extends to a 3hr journey for example??

Its tricky as the Commercial is 10mins down the road but the HSE is 3hrs away, I suppose the litmus test is if they were both 10mins down the road which one would I go for.......

Si

Post #234822719th Sep 2023 8:17 am
Admirable

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Single carriageway is 60 for cars and motorcycles and 50 for LGV. You will also be limited to 60 if towing on a motorway.
You are correct re speed cameras/safety cameras in vans and any traffic plod following you or parked at the side of the road.

Post #234822819th Sep 2023 8:50 am
Sit

England 

Well the litmus test is complete..........I bought the Commercial and very happy I am too, its a lovely drive and appears to have been well cared for during its life.

The dealer has given me 12 months warranty which is a bit of peace of mind, its having a full service with both belts, two new Pirelli Scorpion front tyres and a fresh MOT.

Considered everything mentioned above and what its intended use will be in our family and decided where the Commercial might not work for some, it absolutely works for us, re enforced by another excellent video by High Peak who hit the nail on the head with his comments about a pickup -

?si=a4CksVCygij5Nldx

Si

Post #234831819th Sep 2023 7:32 pm
GLYNNE

England 

I’ve been driving commercial Discos for years and never had an issue with speeding tickets due to it being a van.
As for the fitment of seats it’s very straightforward. The fixing holes had anti tamper bolts in place. Angle grinder cuts a slot then large screwdriver wound them out. Set of c pillar seat belts and away you go Thumbs Up

Post #234832419th Sep 2023 8:40 pm
Sit

England 

Thanks for the info Glynne, it sounds like it’s doable, must need to source a second row bench at some point then. I am not overly worried about the speed thing - I have done the driving fast thing and on todays roads there is no place for it, mostly be towing the 4 legged beast too so that’s a sedate process!

Si

Post #234833019th Sep 2023 9:22 pm
chugga90

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/sale-land-r...05664.html

I am open to offer on this if you can move quickly on it. It is due to go PX next week and would rather an enthusiast had it than it go to auction.
 Discovery commercial tdv6 auto 2013
Volkswagen t6 lwb Kombi dsg 4motion 2018
Volkswagen t5.1 lwb single cab tipper 2013
Discovery commercial sdv6 auto 2014 gone and not really missed.
Range Rover Tdv8 gone
Freelander 2 I6 very sadly gone
VW t5 Dsg gone and missed 

Post #234834820th Sep 2023 6:37 am
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

GLYNNE wrote:
I’ve been driving commercial Discos for years and never had an issue with speeding tickets due to it being a van.

4WD Vans are class as "dual-purpose" and therefore exempt from the lower speed restrictions which means ;

On an unrestricted dual carriageway you can legally drive a fully laden van bodied Series Land Rover at 70mph but a late part laden VWT5/Transit/similar is restricted to 60mph.

Post #234838820th Sep 2023 11:19 am
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Not only did I never have a problem with the speed limit, or not as the case might be, but because it looked the same as a 'passenger' Disco, never had to pay commercial vehicle rates for road/bridge/tunnel tolls.

Even the mob running the Dartford Crossing charged me as a passenger vehicle, the vehicle info via the reg being taken electronically and cross referenced with the DVLA.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #234839320th Sep 2023 11:55 am
Sit

England 

I have an issue preventing collection - and its very irritating!

When I viewed the car the previous owner had fitted a dog harness that you plug into the seat belt, however the had plugged it into the wrong one Neutral The dealer said they would work out how to get it out, however neglected to do so before sending it for MOT.......it failed!

Since the MOT they have managed to get it out but ended up destroying the seat belt Rolling Eyes the issue being because this is a rear seat conversion the assumption is a LR won't fit/work and we don't know who the seat conversion is by!!!!!!!!!

Until the seat belt receiver is replaced it can't be retested - does anyone know how to identify which rear seat conversion it has or can tell by the pic -

Si

Post #234870624th Sep 2023 8:24 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Try disability seatbelt companies... they do lots of fittings to allow wheelchairs and winches to be plugged in to the standard receivers, so may be able to provide a converter?

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #234870924th Sep 2023 9:12 pm
Admirable

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Brian Considine wrote:
GLYNNE wrote:

4WD Vans are class as "dual-purpose" and therefore exempt from the lower speed restrictions which means ;

On an unrestricted dual carriageway you can legally drive a fully laden van bodied Series Land Rover at 70mph but a late part laden VWT5/Transit/similar is restricted to 60mph.

I think a D4 commercial is over the weight limit to be classed as "dual purpose"?

Post #234872625th Sep 2023 4:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >