Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Rag sucked into intake HELP!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yeah a lid of any sort that will fill the pipe would be a better solution, I just don't keep Swimbo's tools in the workshop Laughing
Did you have any success? The metal pipe is further back towards the front of the car on the pressure side of the turbo. You should be able to release the rubber pipe from the turbo without having to undo the metal section. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236319629th Feb 2024 3:44 pm
Mikeyb

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Not yet, rain stopped play, lol.

is there another fixing bracket in the middle of the larger turbo inlet pipe, it was very reluctant to push back?
 Not such a Disco Newbie now!
IID BT 

Post #236319829th Feb 2024 4:37 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I know there's a bolt holding the pressure pipe behind the turret but can't remember where the intake pipe bolt is.

If you haven't done so remove the wheel arch liner and you'll be able to see better.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236320029th Feb 2024 5:11 pm
Mikeyb

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Success Very Happy

So here are a few things that I learnt that may help others!

After much peering, poking and head scratching, I have found the last fixing bolt. Camulflaged with a couple of others, see photo!

Click image to enlarge

Once removed, the intake pipe slid off the turbo quite easily. I had to lift the centre mounting tag (pictured), with a flat screwdriver, away from the adjacent bolt heads Nothing to see in the end of the duct or turbo mouth.

Jacking up the wishbones facilitated better access.

I poked a flexi rod through to draw a length of string, tied it to a rag, then tied another length of string to the rag also. Pulled the string to drag the rag backwards through duct with second length of string trailing behind to pull back in case rag got stuck. Rag popped out the other end with no sign of paper towel so I now know that the duct is clear. When I had previously started the engine with paper towel in situ, there was a cough and a load shredded by the engine fan, perhaps I was lucky and it spat out - but of course I needed to be sure!

Re-assembly wasn't as bad as I had expected, the duct slipped back on the turbo with a push from the front bend, the 3 little heat shields were fiddly but the wheel arch liner was a pain in the bum - the holes never seem to all line up together.

I also randomly found another anomaly - the wiring grommet at the rear of the arch was damp and dripped occasionally. So I teased it with a screwdriver and was surprised to let a good pint of water out. Gussing a drain is blocked somewhere nearby, but can't figure out where. Before I remove the battery and go digging underneath, is there anything important on the inside of the grommet that may not take kindly to water?

Click image to enlarge
 Not such a Disco Newbie now!
IID BT 

Post #23637406th Mar 2024 11:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >