Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Rear door won’t open
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
niquelarondel

Switzerland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

HAHA, liked that version aswell Wink

received my motors this morning, about to go to the shed and do the swap.

Post #23639559th Mar 2024 9:44 am
niquelarondel

Switzerland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Okay guys, I fixed my problem by replacing both motors. Indeed when testing them, the new ones are running like champs compared to the old ones.

In my case the trouble was both motor toasted AND a little horizontal spring broken under one of the plastic gear.

Click image to enlarge

Once Both motor replaced and that spring swaped with one coming from the old door mechanism I had, the door could lock and unlock with no problem.

To try and help as much as I can and also to bounce off Fulloc's post here is an explanation on how to unlock your door manually without using the 5 and 6 pin if your motor is toasted.

When you remove the door panel, window mechanism etc... what you'll see through the hole in your door will be this :

Click image to enlarge

Zoomed in and with plastic cover OFF, screw replaced for convenience of part holding together (and yes you need to force that plastic cover off of the metal rivet).
Click image to enlarge

The silver lever you see on the right is where the door cable attach and connect the mechanism to the exterior door handle.

You now need to use a 90° lever, you can also bend a nail or a metal rod. I used this piece of metal coming from a torque angle tool I had.
Click image to enlarge

You now need to insert that tool right there :
Click image to enlarge

An other angle that you cannot see when you deep dive in the door, you need to get under that white plastic part in order to life it up
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

just be prepare because the simple fact to lift this piece will open your door so apply some pressure against the door because the last thing you want is to half open it and have to go look for that plastic piece again ... I now what i'm talking about Laughing

Hope all this helps. I would strongly advise you guys to change your motor instead of replacing the door mechanism. I compared the original land rover ones and they are pretty tough and well made compared to the after market one. My after market one lasted 1,5 year and broke.

I order these for 20 CHF here if this can help, not promoting nor referencing anything here:
https://www.fruugoschweiz.com/1-paire-d%25...-621478765

All the best for your repairs guys, if any question feel free to shoot.

Post #23639799th Mar 2024 4:18 pm
fulloc

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Good to see the extra detail and that's exactly what I was trying to achieve but despite flicking the latch in/out or off and on (makes sense if you plug the new one in and hit the key button to demo) I just couldn't get it to release.
Anyway, doors fixed and we should have collectively covered all avenues for future victims.
All the best

Post #236401910th Mar 2024 10:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >