Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > FS: Discovery 3 and 4 Vehicles

[For Sale] D3 HSE MY06 Buck Blue £2k
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
paulmeryan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
[For Sale] D3 HSE MY06 Buck Blue £2k

Decided to sell this while it still has some MOT left, though it is SORN and I don't plan to get it back on the road. It was declared CAT N (uneconomic to repair) early (Apr!) this year when I made a claim over the rear quarter panel dent, but did not rectify that. I still use the car on my own property to move small trailers of logs. I purchased the car from a member of this forum and hope it's of interest to someone here that has the necessary to either improve it or the facilities to harvest its organs.

Asking £2,000 o.n.o based on similar private ads both here and the big car market site we all know. I know WBAC, M'Way etc. won't value a car like this so I am open to offers. Sale includes 4 x 09MY HSE wheels (not on car currently), full spare set of body coloured trim, Webasto FBH code reader bought from the site shop, plus var. odds and sods like 2 x suspension height sensors, rear bumper top trim, spare driver's seat facings/covers and whatever other misc. I find.

Main details in no particular order:

Mileage: 225,000 (+ or - a bit, I need to confirm)
MOT: expires 30 Nov 2022
Condition: Engine runs well, body and structure are fair for age/mileage

Issues:
1) Rear suspension misalignment causes excessive rear tyre wear, due to a bent NSR lower arm, I think caused by the wife reversing into our neighbour's hedge.
2) Above incident also dented the rear near side quarter panel - see pics. Car has passed 2 MOTs since incl. the last. Only expected fail on next MOT if taken, would be the EPB.
3) Timing belt was not changed at 210,000 miles, I've driven beyond this without any issue while awaiting a new car, but declared SORN since April when insurance came up for renewal.
4) EPB has seized three times in last 3 years. Completely new unit fitted in 2018, seized 2020 and was reconditioned, seized again early spring 2021 so used emergency release and not touched since.
5) Battery drains over 2-3 days, can be reconditioned with the C-tek when I need to move logs about. I think this is due to the suspension dropping to the stops as seen in pics. It rises and stays up once battery is recharged and if car used regularly so probably a minor air suspension system leak causes self-levelling to drain battery and eventually sink if not used.
6) Tow bar is seized on and the key broke off in the lock. There are posts on here about how to resolve this. 
7) Side steps have seen better days - missing bright side trims, expect bolts rusted etc.
8) FBH doesn't seem to work as it should, but I was able to purge cycle it using the software/forum kit, so not sure what the issue is.
9) Interior trim is consistent with age and the covers are missing on the third row seat fold handles, generally good though. Tailgate release failed c. 2014 so I fixed and modified for emergency release, hence the strand of picture wire protruding from the rear lower tailgate interior trim cover.
10) Sun roof was closed using emergency procedure in 2016 and not used since. Assume motor failed/ing.

Note:
1) Updated the suspension compressor in 2014.*
2) Auto box was flushed 2012 prior to my purchase as there was slight judder under brisk acceleration on my test drive and then autobox fluids changed again by Mackie (Glasgow) in 2017* as although no juddering, the revs would rise slightly on uphill acceleration. Both issues were resolved each time and I don't think the autobox has any major issues, other than age related wear.
3) Transfer box fluids changed c. 2015* by Geoff.* will try to verify dates through service history/recepits

History:

I'm its 3rd owner and bought it from a member of this forum in 2012. He bought it from a bank manager and it had 125,000 miles by the time I acquired it at 6 yrs old. I've added 10k miles a year in the decade since. I'd estimate 40% m'way 60% urban driving. It's had both front lower susp. arms replaced 3 times, rear rose bushes twice and rear lower arms once. Rear brake pipe corrosion was addressed in the last 18 months and it got a new suspension compressor (later spec one) in 2014/15 iirc.

Other than that it's had oil and filters changed every 12 months or 10k miles, sometimes more often as I did this myself for a bit but is currently overdue. It needed 2 front half-drive shafts (CV joints) within the first two years of my ownership. Big repairs like these were mostly done by forum mechanics such as TenForCash (long ago), Geoff and Disco Mikey. Regular servicing that I couldn't handle was mostly independent garages and occasionally main dealers if I had no other choice e.g. when the alternator took out my battery in Glasgow over Xmas/NY 2013/14.

It's got a remote fuel burning heater control fitted which worked via GSM. The FBH I don't think works anymore as it should, though it will run through the purge cycle using the connector and instructions supplied by Martin of this forum.

A few pics for perusal below. DM for more pics/vids or service history details and last few MOTs showing advisories...

Had an EV since June and now accept I'll never get round to fixing this up myself for my teen son's first tank when he starts driving. It's hogging drive space I want back. It just isn't worth paying someone to bring it up to scratch, but if you can do the work yourself saving that money, it should give many years more service. Equally might suit anyone looking for a donor engine. It is the best car I ever owned. More reliable and grin inducing than both the BMW 330d Touring or Golf VR6. Even our new Tesla can't put a grin on my face like this did over many years. Hands down the safest, most confident I've ever felt on the road.

I don't spend much time online these days, but will try to check this post regularly and respond to PM alerts. Thanks for looking.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge