Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

sat nav disc 2007/8 lack of map detail compared to rr 06
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
frogisco

France 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
sat nav disc 2007/8 lack of map detail compared to rr 06

first off, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere - but i used to have a RR 06 model TD6 - great car, when it worked, but it spent 10 months out of first 18 in the "stealers" so they finally agreed to refund me/swap for latest disco3 HSE . . . . . . . long battle but worth it as i prefer the disco and it has zero actual faults (surprising but true! - it was worth the 5 month wait while they built it for me (i think the "boss" did it personally - evenings and weekends, so he didnt hear from me again!!)

However, one thing is driving me potty, the sat nav in the 06 rr had three real settings, ie quickest, shortest and "normal" - the disco says it does, but never really gives a real "shortest" route where the rr did - we are surrounded here (and everywhere in France) by small roads, which can cut many km off main road routes and green lanes too - but now i can no longer find them as a route - even though i can see them on the map - one local example tries to send me on an 18km detour when there is a direct single track rd of 4.5km that is clearly shown, but i have to get about half way down it b4 the sat nav stops trying to get me to do a U turn!!!

it isnt parameters - it must be the map detail on the disc or maybe software for route selection

before i buy anything does anyone have a spare disc for the 06rr i can try?? is this a "known" problem?? Help!!

nb. probably somebody complained at the number of muddy rrs and discos trundling through their farmyards so they deleted all the small roads as a route option off the maps!

Post #33288116th Aug 2008 12:33 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hmmm!

My Subaru Legacy had a very similar Kenwood system with nicer colours and quite a few more Nav features (clock, speed, satellite reception) and back screens - and nicer colours, with optional night view. They are so similar as to not require "training" to convert. But it DID offer better alternative routes (and it DID try to send me through the odd forest Shocked ).

The D3 last week offered me 3 routes from Haverfordwest to Manchester, with the "shortest" not being the least miles, and the "quickest" not showing the least expected time Confused

But in France - Jeez, we had to tell it every intersection or it would make huge loops into the countryside. At each route mod. it would hang on to the old route like Terminator, until the last waypoint did for it Rolling with laughter

Wouldn't be without it, though.

I think SatNavs are like native language - the one you really got to know is always better than something different.

A
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #33288416th Aug 2008 12:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

frogisco, in the satnav preferences do you have major roads selected? If you do try it with them off
 The End  
Post #33290816th Aug 2008 4:52 pm
frogisco

France 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Tried all that, makes no difference - really odd!

i used to love the direct option on rr - i used to break down in the most inaccesible places known to man! (well, for brittany that is)

does anybody have a 2006-7 disc i could try?

Post #33304416th Aug 2008 9:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >