Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Source for 3mm spacers - Brembo Brake Clash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Inigo

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Source for 3mm spacers - Brembo Brake Clash

I've just finished fitting new 4 pot Brembo calipers and discs to my front wheels confident that they should fit under my 19" wheels. I struggled to get the wheels back on and am fairly confident that they are actually touching the calipers.

Before I wreck my calipers and wheels, can anyone recommend where I can get 3mm spacers from?

Is there any issue with having these just on the front axle?

Or, I could get another set of 20" wheels and tyres, but I got rid of mine (and bought some lovely new AT3 grabbers) to improve off road abaility and ride comfort. I'd rather not go back.

Post #23495824th Oct 2023 8:00 pm
Mastertech

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I would never personally fit a spacer that’s less than 10mm as you need to maintain the hub flange depth for the wheel to be correctly seated. Also a thin 3mm spacer can cause wheel wobble.

I would fit a set of 4 10mm spacers but I’m not sure if you can get any less than the 30mm bolt on ones due to the wheel stud length.

Post #235109122nd Oct 2023 5:37 pm
Inigo

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I tried 3mm, still didn't fit. I tried 5mm, wheels now fit. There was still some of the central spigot left for the wheel to sit on, but I'm not sure how much is needed. There does appear to be some wheel wobble.

I have seen some 10mm spacers that have an extended spigot in the middle. Is aluminium strong enough to support the wheel? Wouldn't I also need to replace the existing studs with longer ones?

The thinnest I've seen from Eibach, for example, with a set of nuts and further studs integral to the spacer are 25mm.

Post #235109722nd Oct 2023 7:27 pm
Mastertech

Aluminium is suitable and is the material normally used for spacers so I wouldn’t have any worries there. As you say the issue is the fact that LR uses studs and the normal thing to do with a 10mm spacer would be use longer wheel bolts. I have no idea if longer studs are available either, I’ve never looked. I would hang a plumb line from the lip of the wheel arch and use a tape measure to see if the 25mm spacers would work.

Post #235111422nd Oct 2023 11:25 pm
Inigo

I managed to find a set of hub-centric 20mm spacers. All fitted now, wheels are within wheel arches (just) and wheel wobble has gone.

Post #23526639th Nov 2023 11:23 am
Mastertech

Spot on. Post some pics! Which spacers did you get?

Post #23526929th Nov 2023 10:58 pm
Inigo

Spacers were from Tanked (https://tankedwheelspacers.co.uk/products/land-rover-discovery-04-on-series-3-4-5-wheel-spacers-hub-centric-20-mm-72-6). Seem robust.

My only concern is the usual advice is to retorque wheels after 500 miles. Does this suggest I need to remove the wheels to retorque the spacers and then in a further 500 miles retorque the wheels?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #235271710th Nov 2023 11:56 am
Mastertech

It’s up to you what you do, all I can say is in the 17 years I’ve been a mechanic the only vehicles that I’ve retorqued wheels on is Subaru’s and commercial trucks and coaches. I’ve never personally had a wheel nut come loose on a Land Rover and I know the Land Rover main dealer I worked at did not bring customers back in after the wheels had been off.

Post #235282411th Nov 2023 7:15 pm
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

If you fit the wheels with clean mating surfaces, loosly tighten all 5, doing one, then miss the next one, etc, and then doing them to the correct torque as a minimum, they should not need doing again.

The 'need' to retighten commercial vehicles after 100kms was basically a 'get out of jail card' for tyre fitters/companies.

I never ever retightened mine, on my trucks or cars, making sure I did the job properly in the first place, and was involved in transport for over 45 years.

There was a time when the general view for commercials was to check once a week, however it was proved that in time this would stretch the threads and contribute to broken studs and wheel losses.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #235282911th Nov 2023 9:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >