Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Speed Awareness
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

SN wrote:
never lie to an insurance company - you get found out and your insurance usually goes null and void - just at the point you really don't want it to happen - remember that automated spiel when you first make the call? it says very clearly about disclosure of information that may affect your premium/policy....

£100 versus £40K or £50K invested in a motor - you do the maths... Rolling Eyes

I get that, but how would they find out. If attendance on the course is confidential, then surely sharing the fact that you attended it to insurance companies is a breech of the data protection act?

Post #160147329th Jan 2016 8:43 pm
SN

no its not - they freely admit that they share information - its the MID database I think

as I said £100K versus £40K or more or worse - its not worth it, you can't win
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #160147629th Jan 2016 8:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

So they lied to the original poster then

Post #160148029th Jan 2016 8:53 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

NoDo$h wrote:
Discomadness wrote:
Yet another insurance scam.

Yawn Rolling Eyes

The method of receiving the penalty is immaterial; a propensity to speed is statistically significant in establishing risk.

Out of interest, what line of work are you in? Can I make sweeping statements about people who do your sort of work too?

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't work for an insurer Thumbs Up

What sweeping statements are you referring to exactly there ? My point was how would it be fair to load your policy as a greater risk because you've been caught, and I use the term instead of prosecuted because by doing the course you don't get the penalty points etc. you have been "re-educated" and thus a safer driver. If the insurance companies then add £100.00 to your policy then what exactly was the point of the course ?
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #160148229th Jan 2016 9:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

So who is the better risk ..............

The person who has been caught for speeding and been on the awarenes course.

The person who has already got two speeding convictions and has never been on an awareness course.

Or the person who speeds and hasn't been caught?

Post #160149029th Jan 2016 9:23 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Tanglewood wrote:
So they lied to the original poster then

No I don't think so, the only way they would know would be if I tell them but as SN says if you are asked a question you can't lie as your policy could be invalid. I wasn't prepared to take that risk but they are being a bit underhand I reckon by asking this question when they know they could not find out any other way.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #160149229th Jan 2016 9:26 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Discomadness wrote:

What sweeping statements are you referring to exactly there ?

The use of the word "scam".

Over to you. Thumbs Up

Post #160149329th Jan 2016 9:27 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

CFB wrote:
but they are being a bit underhand I reckon by asking this question when they know they could not find out any other way.

What's underhand about it? Contracts based on full disclosure require exactly that.

Post #160149429th Jan 2016 9:28 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

If the course is sold to you as confidential and that nobody else has the right to know you have attended then I don't believe they have a right to ask. What's next, asking you if you've ever broken the speed limit?
Post #160150529th Jan 2016 9:41 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

.....or if you've ever had a beer before driving, even if it's only one?
Post #160150729th Jan 2016 9:44 pm
SN

They can ask anything they like that they think affects the risk associated with insuring you - it is not up to you the insured to make that decision I'm afraid

Even the bl**dy colour of the car is known to affect the rate of claims

Bizarrely however they're now not allowed to bring gender into the risk/price calculation - thanks for that one EU Rolling Eyes
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #160150829th Jan 2016 9:44 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

NoDo$h wrote:
Discomadness wrote:

What sweeping statements are you referring to exactly there ?

The use of the word "scam".

Over to you. Thumbs Up

Ok.... Sorry if that's caused offence but the point I made after regarding the fact that they are loading a policy after you've done an awareness training course which is designed to make you a more aware and therefore a better driver. They should not be increasing your policy for that. In my case it will mean a 33%ish increase in my annual policy. That's why I said scam. Because I feel that it is unfair and I have to have insurance by law so have to pay it. Who came to that figure ? How was it fairly reached. I do apologise if you were offended by what I said nodosh, I just feel that the insurance loading of policies is unjustified. Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #160151329th Jan 2016 9:50 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

If there were some uniformity in approach across all the different police forces and their application of speed awareness courses you'd have a point, but as it is many forces don't use these courses or apply different limits. From a risk perspective you can't factor this in, so a blunt approach of "speed awareness = 3pts/SP30" is inevitable. Having done a fair bit of work on risk tables and actuarial pricing process as part of a takeover I was involved in, the amount of data analysis that goes into these pricing models is massive and throws up some interesting points (the colour reference made by SN is a classic and empirically evidenced example).

I hear what you're saying; nobody likes paying more than they have to, but the industry is highly competitive so vote with your feet if you don't like the quote.

Post #160151629th Jan 2016 9:59 pm
SN

doesn't matter what you feel, you don't set the rules - they do. give it up for crying out loud.
Post #160151729th Jan 2016 10:00 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

This forum used to encourage this kind of debate, no need to put people down, we are all entitled to an opinion.
Post #160154229th Jan 2016 11:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >