Page 4 of 4 <1234
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

You very naughty boy!! Laughing Laughing

Post #160173430th Jan 2016 12:44 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Anyone know what the effect is if you have 3 points for speeding on your license.

Years ago it made no difference, though the world has moved on, but interested to see if the course attracts a higher premium than 3 points on your license.

Wondering also how long the additional loading lasts on your insurance, would it be 5 yrs or 4 the amount of time it would take to clear your license again.

It would look like insurers are having to ask the specific question as it is not covered by any convictions or claims question.

On the Go compare website it suggests that you must tell your insurer as you have broken the road traffic act.
Think its safe to say we all break the Road traffic act in some way during a years motoring, but do we phone our insurers every time we do, or is it only the times we are "caught" that count?
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #160197030th Jan 2016 8:55 pm
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If I get points which I've had many over the years and as much as 9 in the past, I don't tell them until the renewal comes up.

I have also claimed and had points I never informed the insurance company about, I had a bit of a sweat on thinking about the problems it might bring in the middle of claiming for damage. They were not a bit bothered and said it will affect next years premium just.

I hear all the horrible stories of people getting claims rejected for this and that, we are human you can forget to inform them maybe not ideal but we don't live in an ideal world, and insurance company's are anything but ideal.

Post #160197730th Jan 2016 9:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CFB

United Kingdom 

I didn't want the points as I need a clean licence to allow me to drive on blues for work so the course was the best option but I never thought I would have to disclose that I had done it.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #160201730th Jan 2016 10:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Petej2811

United Kingdom 

I agree that it seems wrong to ask about attendance. It is not a conviction, it is t a claim, it isn't even a caution or a warning. It means you wasted an afternoon being told that you're ever so naughty and mustn't do it again.

If my insurers or prospective insurers ask me if I have been on a SAC, and I have, I tell them simply that it is none of their business. If they won't insure me, so be it.

This notion that insurance is based on a formula for risk that is somehow scientific and, if I read that right, somehow implied to be fair is, in my humble view, nonsense.

I don't for even a second, as a risk practitioner, buy that motor vehicle insurance profiles are there for any purpose other than to wring the maximum tolerable commercial gain from the prospective customer.

Joiner vs carpenter isn't different because or some scientific analysis. It is different because it is what the market will bear. If it were about fairness, that utopian scenario where nobody claimed and everyone drove trabants paying the same (which made me laugh) would prevail.

As is, insurance companies has an ATROCIOUS reputation with their customers. Not because they're good old sticks who look after their customers, but because every last inch of their business is about wringing every last penny out of every deal. Be that on the way in, in the form of a quote, loaded or otherwise, or on the way out, in the form of a claim.

Insurance companies will load your policy because they can and you gave them a commercially acceptable reason by disclosing if.

We Brits need to re-learn the art of telling people things are none of their concern.

Post #16037942nd Feb 2016 11:52 pm
les-goose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Remember passing the IAM test in a HGV artic and at next renewal asking if any extra off for doing so had certificate with me to prove "No only the most costly insurers give a discount for it" was the brokers reply. He was right as I had phoned a couple and that's how it was. Also remember a good few years later asking if a bit more discount for using a Thatcham approved sold secure Disklock answer "No but I will put it down" my reply "No don't put it down as I don't have one I was going to buy one to reduce the risk of theft but you don't give a discount for it and if you put it down then if car stolen and lock was not fitted you will worm your way out of paying so I don't have one and never will". I know they said they were going to stop the practice of selling accident claim info to the ambulance chasers but I still get the odd call now and then from a claim a few years ago. I wasn't even in the car as parked in Halfords car park and me inside store and a bloke reversed into my car recon he would have been off but car park attended so shoppers cant use it and go into town shopping. How good was that telling us personal injury claims were on the up so costs would have to go up all the time selling info to the ambulance chasers.

Speeding fine and points = money to Government

Speed awareness course = No points and money to area police force

If you didn't tell them and you were involved in a bad accident (at fault or not) that went to court then the police would disclose that info its then you could find you are in the mire.

If it was a minor bump no police involved then I would say you would be ok.

Just remember the point though that there are some absolute idiot drivers out on the road so you could be involved in the more serious accident and be innocent but because you have not told the insurance company you have a load of trouble on your plate.

Post #161598625th Feb 2016 2:51 pm
Pelyma

England 

NoDo$h wrote:

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't work for an insurer Thumbs Up

No your bloody worse than that - compliance Banging Head Ner Ner
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #161602225th Feb 2016 4:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top