Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

STEERING KNOCK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ian franklin

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
STEERING KNOCK

Second D3 now and have just noticed that I have a clunk on the steering,in the straight ahead position,initialy on moderate acceleration......??

Any one noticed this.

Dealer checked today and said he tightened something ??

Did state if continues would change a part

Has any one noticed this or know what could be the cause

Thanks

Post #1149072nd Jan 2007 10:16 pm
GLYNNE

England 

Shocked I have just got mine back this afternoon after having the steering rack replaced under warranty Smile . Do a search and you will find some previous posts on this and the tsb so you can go back to your dealer armed with the info. Thumbs Up

Post #1149142nd Jan 2007 10:32 pm
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Ian,
I complained of same. For me it was felt more than heard and in outback conditions (lots of corugations). My dealer replaced a ball joint in the left front under warranty. The problem is still there and the vehicle goes in for it's 24,000km sevice and another look next Tuesday.
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #1150283rd Jan 2007 12:47 pm
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I had exactly the same symptoms...........The dealer replaced all the control arm bushes and was fixed.

Post #1163405th Jan 2007 2:24 pm
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

At the service I just had, I complained of a 'click' as the car pulled away which you could feel through steering. Dealer replaced components on steering column as there is a TSB relating to it where (I think) a sleeve or something slips up and down slightly causing the knock through the steering column.

They sorted it without any further ado (they had the car for 2 days for a service but replaced a few things and did the vehicle enhancement stuff as well).

Post #1171086th Jan 2007 9:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Duncster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mine just been fixed for this as well, when driving down lanes and loose roads slight judder in steering column. There is a TSB for this, does anybody have details if I remember its one of 3 components that may need changing.

If you pay £8 you can do a search on the GTR website. I didnt save the info from my last day of browsing
 15 3.0 RRS HSE - Silver
05 2.7TDV6 S AUTO Silver - Retro-fitted Leather. 

Post #1171136th Jan 2007 10:05 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Discovery 3/LR3 - Minor Steering Column Knock

TSB No.LA211-002

Discovery 3/LR3 - Minor Steering Column Knock

VIN-range: 5A300545-5A349378

A customer may report a concern of a minor knocking noise from the front end of the vehicle (steering) when driving over small bumps or undulating/rough road surfaces.

Cause: Dynamic movement in the lower steering shaft sliding joint due to low sliding loads.
Action:Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin to determine the source of the noise/excess movement.

Post #1171496th Jan 2007 11:30 pm
Haggis

My VIN is outside of that range (6Axxxxxx). I'll post the dealer's findings later in the week. Currently booked for two days from Tuesday.
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #1171877th Jan 2007 12:55 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Only means that after the last VIN they have modified the parts. Doesn't mean that it wont be corrected under warranty.

Post #1171897th Jan 2007 12:56 am
Haggis

Simon,
Agreed, it might also mean it is more difficult to get to the root cause. The dealer I have been using is very good (so far), they have already replaced a ball joint under warranty in the search for this problem.
Post #1171917th Jan 2007 1:14 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

It felt like there was no damping in the steering.My dealer replaced my control arm, even though it was out of VIN range. Fixed the problem.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #1171977th Jan 2007 3:25 am
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

My dealer had already done the steering column TSB which for my problem didn't work, as I said my symptoms were as Haggis experienced

Post #1174298th Jan 2007 10:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >