DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

steering wheel juddering under acceletarion from 140 kph
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Chichor

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
steering wheel juddering under acceletarion from 140 kph

Hi Everybody Wink

I'm having an annoying problem of juddering with my D4 TDV6 SE Aut. (70.000 kms done).
I'd like to know if someone had similar problem and how was it solved (My dealer has not any idea at the moment...)

Symptoms:
Highway, accel. pedal to the floor from 100 KPH then, the steering wheel starts juddering just from 140 kph to...the top speed.
Under smooth acceleration, the juddering never appears...also if I drive smoothly and constantly at 140 kph or more...

The tyres are new, well balanced and with correct preasures.
Driveshaft center bearing seems to be ok...
Gearbox oil&filter never replaced....could be this the reason?

Any suggestions welcomed Bow down Bow down

Thanks beforehand

Post #9278453rd May 2012 8:12 pm
APL

France 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Not surprising at that speed!! Shocked

Stick to the speed limit and your problem is solved?
 2016 Discovery 4 Commercial
2019 Discovery 5 HSE 

Post #9279263rd May 2012 11:07 pm
Chichor

Hi APL, Thanks for your post.

with increasing the speed, the juddering gets weaker and weaker but not dissapear at all.
around 180 kph, it is difficult to notice it ... taking care about the police is much more important at that speed Laughing Laughing

Tonight I tried the following: Preassure of the four tyres increased till 290 kPa !!...juddering almost disappeared!!
What is going on ??? Confused Confused

Tomorrow I will try it again....
Normally the pressures I use are 240 kPa Front & 270 kPa Rear.....and my gauge is "made in Japan" so...

Post #9279334th May 2012 12:05 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Out of round tyres? When they balance they should be able to see it.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #9279374th May 2012 12:43 am
Chichor

Hi Caver Wink

modestly don't think that a tyre deformation can be noticed when it is being balanced.
As far as I know, the balance depends only on the weight.
The question is. how can a premium brand tyre like Good Year (as mine) get deformed ? My car did not stay so long time at the shop before being sold to me
Furthermore, when I bought and picked up the car at the shop, the pressures was ok...
Anyway , today I'm gonna drive about 200 kms at the highway with my tyres at 290 kPa and we will see...

One more thing, my rear tyres are new and the front ones are about half used, but without any apparent deformation....as far as I could check by myself.

Finally, which are the symptoms of a defective steering rack ?
Mine has not gap but I feel it too sensible (I can notice at the steering wheel any kind of road imperfection, as if the steering wheel was alive...) Rolling Eyes

Post #9280164th May 2012 9:52 am
kenny

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

I don't know if it is the same at highway speeds, but certainly when offroad and when pulling away from a stop my D4 does NOT like the pedal flat to the floor. I have read (somewhere? ) that the DSC will intervene if the accel is floored.

Post #9281004th May 2012 12:57 pm
Chichor

Hi Kenny,

Juddering appears at a high speeds only!
I'm gonna try changing the oil & filter of the Gear box
Sometimes (not always) I can also feel the juddering also under braking although the juddering is much more noticeable when the engine is pushing hard.

Therefore the brakes (discs, caliper...) could be also one of the possible the reasons Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

...will continue checking slowly but surely Wink Wink

Post #9290487th May 2012 2:36 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

EPB, brake shoes binding, touch the rear wheel hubs to see which one is hotest, but in either case get it cleaned/adjusted Thumbs Up

failing that could be front diff issues/nsf/osf driveshaft issues - change the front diff oil to see what metal is in the oil Thumbs Up

BTW, just going thru the same process with mine, had a new diff only weeks ago but still have vibration when under load at 60-65 mph thru the steering wheel, in the dealers tomorrow to have the EPB cleaned/adjusted and also the brakes looked at.

Personally I recon its me propshaft or an engine mount or the new brake calipers (where we had a the new engine only a few months ago and new brake calipers).

Will post what happens to assist you Thumbs Up

Post #9292618th May 2012 1:21 am
Chichor

Thanks for your comments, Character Thumbs Up

In fact, recently I had EPB flashing and bonging a couple of times, but i didn't care so much about it.
Also some slight creak comes from the rear wheels when I pull on the EPB.

Definitely, I will include this issue in the long list I'm preparing for the dealer !! (My D4 is still under warranty then...)

BTW, do you know how can I get some info about the recalls and TBS referred to the D4?
...asking to my dealer should be the best option but....good support can not be expected from them ...unfortunately Big Cry Big Cry

Thanks mate!

Post #9294658th May 2012 7:05 pm
Higgers

United Kingdom 

I've just had new front brakes under warranty for a shakey steering wheel.

Post #9299909th May 2012 8:48 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

update, just had the propshaft changed and then 4 wheel alignment done (coz we didnt do it when the front diff was done the other week).

Will know tomorrow whether its cured our issue of vibration but looking at the old prop, I would be very suprised if it wasnt Thumbs Up

Post #9300159th May 2012 9:45 pm
Chichor

Day after tomorrow I'm planning to go to my dealer for discussing and checking the issues of Brakes and Steering rack. Also I will ask them for taking a look at the propshaft and its center bearing,

Just I'm a bit worried about the warranty since my D4 has already 70.000 kms done and I have not idea how the dealer will manage the warranty if the discs and pads are quite worn out.

Higgers, how many kms done on your car before replacing the brake discs under warranty?

Character. I'm really looking forward to hearing from you after testing your new propshaft!
Mine as well as the center bearing seems to be OK after having a look but....I'm not a mechanic!!

Will post my progress Thumbs Up

Post #9300479th May 2012 10:47 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I had a similar vibration and had the rear prop replaced did not make much difference. Wheel balance helped but it is still there. I am thinking front prop or CV joint?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #9300599th May 2012 11:05 pm
Chichor

CV joint ...Ummmm...I'll go to the dealer this afternoon and will ask to them also about this issue Thumbs Up
CaverD3, I guess you have already consider a steering rack and/or disc+caliper+pads possible failure, haven't you?

Will post my dealer's conclusion after having a look at my D4!! ....although I'm not so confident they can give me a solution Crying or Very sad

Post #93049111th May 2012 8:14 am
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

If it was wheel balance/prop shaft/brakes or similar then it would show when driving smoothly at speed and not just under heavy load acceleration.

Sounds more like some form of torque slip as unlikely as that sounds.

Post #93049611th May 2012 8:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >