Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Steering wheel knock... again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
adara

Romania 
Steering wheel knock... again

OK, this is beginning to drive me mad. It's the 3rd visit for the steering knock. First they changed some mysterious part, that didn't help much. Then they replaced some teflon component that they claimed was redesigned, but the knock was still there. And finally they replaced some joints and direction components but this didn't remove the knock either. The knock can be easily reproduced when driving over stone paved roads and is very present while braking when over bumps, the steering wheel simply vibrates! The dealer is now questioning if I'm not asking too much from the car! Is there any service bulletin on this issue so I can throw it in his face? What does he have to do to fix this? Thank you! Also I noticed that the car has a clear tendency to go to the right if one leaves the steering wheel centered, even on the flattest road. What is this about? All 4 wheels show more pronounced wear on the right side too...

Last edited by adara on 16th Oct 2006 12:41 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #9407415th Oct 2006 7:26 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Sounds as though you need a 4-wheel alignment done. The car should travel straight, when properly set up, on a flat road. Pronounced wear is likely to be the result of misadjusted camber settings (which also has a pronounced effect on directional bias too). Once that is resolved, then tak a fresh look at the steering knock.

LA211-002 is the TSB to look at.

Post #9407615th Oct 2006 8:09 am
adara

Romania 

Thank you very much Winger!

Post #9413815th Oct 2006 3:46 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Are you positive it's the steering column? I recently had my suspension bushings replaced and it made a load of diference.

See this thread here: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic6340.html

Try kicking your tire from the front, and if it moves a lot, it could be the culprit.

Post #9414015th Oct 2006 4:01 pm
adara

Romania 

Well, it only can be felt in the steering wheel, the passengers are unaware of the knock... But I will kick those tires just in case, thank you!

Post #9431816th Oct 2006 12:37 pm
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I had the same knock coming from the front end during my recent outback trip, the dealer replaced some steering bushes "We know about that one and this is the fix"

No, it didn't fix it, this time after standing firm they went and road tested it and a subsequent inspection had them saying "the control arm bushes are worn, we will replace all 4"' and typically none in stock so I will have to wait until they arrive from the East. Hopefully this will fix the problem

Post #9585920th Oct 2006 2:05 pm
adara

Romania 

Fourth visit and the dealer is 400km away… Well, there is another one in my hometown but he’s, as Borat would say, retard... They checked the car for 2 hours and finally agreed I am right about the knock and about the car not traveling straight. Great success! Their decision was to change no less than 8 parts, starting with bushes, joints, lower steering column, stabilizers, etc… Of course most of them must be ordered so I’m going back in December, when they’re going to keep the car for 2 days… They couldn’t imagine why all the damage after 20 000km… I’m not using the car off-road much and I have friends with Skodas that never changed bushes in 120 000km! The funny thing is that I now have a knock when passing over bumps in the rear too!

Post #10405523rd Nov 2006 7:59 am
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

RichardK wrote:
I had the same knock coming from the front end during my recent outback trip, the dealer replaced some steering bushes "We know about that one and this is the fix"

No, it didn't fix it, this time after standing firm they went and road tested it and a subsequent inspection had them saying "the control arm bushes are worn, we will replace all 4"' and typically none in stock so I will have to wait until they arrive from the East. Hopefully this will fix the problem

Had the control arm bushes replaced (4 of them) and now all is well

Post #10411023rd Nov 2006 1:32 pm
adara

Romania 

But how about the noise in the back?

Post #10414723rd Nov 2006 3:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >