Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Suspected Water pump failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DrewLR4

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4
Suspected Water pump failure

Noticed a smell of coolant coming from under the bonnet after a journey yesterday, lifted the bonnet and a splattering of coolant on right side off engine bay and almost empty coolant reservoir Big Cry . AA called and he suspects leaking water pump dripping onto aux belt. Car now at my local garage who cant look at it until next week. Just wondering how many hours labour it will take to replace? and anything else I should get them to do whilst replacing it? Its done 111000 and timing and aux belts were done by previous owner about 18 months ago.
 IID Tool
Disco 1 tdi traded up
Disco 1 V8 LPG traded up
RR P38 V8 LPG Melted
Disco 2 tdi - Divorce settlement
Shocking amount of mid life crisis sports cars.
X5 - Bad decision
Jeep Liberty - Now in Cyprus
Crisis over and back in a Disco 

Post #204131829th Mar 2019 11:53 am
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

Unusual to have a pump failure, but not unknown. I've seen some garages take the pump off when changing the timing belt for some reason and use the wrong length bolts when refitting it Shocked Although the bolts are the same length, 1 of the 3 holes is blind and if you use a longer bolt, it bottoms out before securing the pump. The end result is only 2 bolts holding the pump and it will eventually rattle off.

I'm sure they'll do it anyway, but make sure all the hose clips on the EGR coolant pipes are correctly located and the hoses aren't perished.
 Joe  
Post #204133329th Mar 2019 1:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DrewLR4

Cheers Joe,
Roughly how long would the job take? not sure if its just fan out or more complicated
 IID Tool
Disco 1 tdi traded up
Disco 1 V8 LPG traded up
RR P38 V8 LPG Melted
X5 - Bad decision

Post #204133729th Mar 2019 1:29 pm
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

Easy job if you want to tackle it yourself.

Remove the top part of the fan cowl, it un-clips at each end. Viscous fan off, LEFT HAND THREAD! Use a 36mm open ended spanner & hammer, not a chisel & hammer like some Censored ..kers. Probably not the kinda size most people have, so you may need to borrow or buy one (eBay link below) Position the spanner at 12 o'clock (you may need to turn the viscous 'nut' with the spanner).

Now for the fun part!

What your're going to do now is strike the other end of the spanner towards the coolant bottle (left hand thread) with a good hammer to undo the coupling. It should need a really good wack, a bit like swinging a baseball bat. Depending on how good your swing is, you may need a couple of attempts at this. You'll probably knock the spanner off a few times until you get you hand in. Once you cracked the 'nut', you can turn the fan by hand until the end of the thread. Make sure you hold the fan as you unscrew it to stop it dropping down. When you have it off, rest it in the bottom of the cowling and unplug the cable to allow removal.

It might be advisable to get an old towel or 2 to use as padding in the direction of the spanner to avoid accidental damage from a flying spanner..!!

Once you've got the fan out of the way, you need to use a 3/8 ratchet or lever bar to pull the aux belt tensioner back to release the belt. Make a note of the belt to pulley layout to make refitting it easier.

Next, remove the pump pulley. If they have the right bolts, then you'll need an E12 (Torx socket) to remove them. To stop the pulley moving, just get a phillips screwdriver or something similar and poke it through one of the holes on the pulley to hold against the block (don't worry, nothing to damage here)

Now you can get to the water pump. 8mm hex head and make a note of the 3 bolts in case they are different lengths.

Gold star if you loosen the fan in one hit. It took my 11yr old daughter 4 attempts!

It should take no more than an hour to change the pump.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36mm-OPEN-ENDED...Sw~FJZGsJY
 Joe  
Post #204138729th Mar 2019 4:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DrewLR4

Defo one for me then, fan was off about 6 months ago when nice AA man fitted a new alternator for me, he did go down the route of the hammer and chisel though as neither of us could find a suitable spanner at the time, after which I purchased one so I could make sure it was well tightened.
Thanks for all the help Thumbs Up
Drew
 IID Tool
Disco 1 tdi traded up
Disco 1 V8 LPG traded up
RR P38 V8 LPG Melted
X5 - Bad decision

Post #204139029th Mar 2019 4:42 pm
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

Seen chisel monkeys all my life, never expected the AA though Shocked
 Joe  
Post #204142329th Mar 2019 8:18 pm
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

DrewLR4 wrote:
Defo one for me then, fan was off about 6 months ago when nice AA man fitted a new alternator for me, he did go down the route of the hammer and chisel though as neither of us could find a suitable spanner at the time, after which I purchased one so I could make sure it was well tightened.
Thanks for all the help Thumbs Up
Drew

It's left hand thread for a reason; won't undo with the clockwise motion Whistle

You don't need to smack Censored out of it when you tighten it up. Thumbs Up

Let me know how you get on.
 Joe  
Post #204142429th Mar 2019 8:21 pm
DrewLR4

Just an update Joe,
Water pump diagnosis by AA was not the issue. On lifting the engine cover, the top rad hose had a hole cut in it by the engine cover on the right just where it disappears under it.
So better outcome cost wise, and one to look out for the next time anyone has their engine cover off.
 IID Tool
Disco 1 tdi traded up
Disco 1 V8 LPG traded up
RR P38 V8 LPG Melted
X5 - Bad decision

Post #20434655th Apr 2019 1:55 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

AA Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #20434665th Apr 2019 2:00 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think this problem has cropped up previously, if it were mine, I would get the Dremel out and remove some of the offending engine cover plastic, to give plenty of clearance around the coolant hose Rolling Eyes
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #20435105th Apr 2019 5:17 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

DrewLR4 wrote:
Just an update Joe,
Water pump diagnosis by AA was not the issue. On lifting the engine cover, the top rad hose had a hole cut in it by the engine cover on the right just where it disappears under it.
So better outcome cost wise, and one to look out for the next time anyone has their engine cover off.

Something we look out for when we have a 3.0 in for belts/service etc

Seems to becoming a fairly common thing...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #20435185th Apr 2019 6:04 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

DN wrote:
I think this problem has cropped up previously, if it were mine, I would get the Dremel out and remove some of the offending engine cover plastic, to give plenty of clearance around the coolant hose Rolling Eyes

Did exactly that and replaced top hose as it was quite badly chaffed, did it few years ago and no issues since. No longer D4 owner but would recommend folk check - I think the pipe shape or cover modified in slightly later versions than mine.
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #20435215th Apr 2019 6:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >