Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Solution to the rear connectors on the Main Fuse Board?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RPAtotheStars

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Solution to the rear connectors on the Main Fuse Board?

Hello all,

Well I have had to go through the pain of the connectors on the rear of the main fuse board twice, both times it took me about 3 hours to put them back which is quick when you read some of the nightmares on here.

I had the water in the passenger footwell so had to take out the main fuse board to fix it then I had to do it again as I was getting errors saying the tail gate was open and the rear wash wipe didn't work. These I traced back, via the circuit drawings, to the rear connectors. So took them out again to find the connector wasn't push in far enough dure to the latch being broken, you can see the breck in the plastic ring.

Click image to enlarge

So after going through this nightmare twice I decided I wasn't going to do it again. The issue is that there isn't enough room as the two rear connectors are very tight. So I decided to extend them, allowing me more room to plug them in.

To achieve this I decided to buy a second hand fuse board with all the connectors, it was about £50 from eBay.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I then used Google to determine that the connectors were a 32 pin unit, which had a 2.54mm pitch. I found out that this means the distance between the centres of the holes was 2.54mm. I then found some sockets on Amazon which had a pitch of 2.54mm and I could cut down to be 16 pin long (there are in pairs so in total the two lines of 16 pins gives you the 32 pin connector), they came as 40 pin long.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DJY3FRJ?psc...ct_details

Amazon also provided a kit to allow me to connect to these pins:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NAQIJ23?psc...ct_details

I then soldered the wires from the connectors to these pins and the pins onto the socket. I then used heat wrap to insult the pins., hopefully the photos show this.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So this means I can put the new connector in the fuse board and use the pins to connect to the original connect, see below:

Click image to enlarge

On the Green connector not all of the pins are used so I removed some of the unused pins which will allow me to cable tie it to the original connector, removed pins pointed out below:

Click image to enlarge

I did the same with the other connector but the orange one had a lot more connections.

Throughout the process I continuously checked I had all the connectors corrected lined up so nothing was crossed over.

In the end I have two extensions for the connectors and so if I do have to do it again it should be easier.

Now this cost about £75 and around a day of my time, but if you have had to do this then you know it was time and money well spent.

Click image to enlarge

I hope this helps if you are considering taking the fuse board out.

Regards

Bob

Post #236542829th Mar 2024 10:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >