DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Lost NCD! Take care...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Lost NCD! Take care...

I just want to tell you about an annoying situation that I have just found myself in. The basic facts are, I have never claimed on my own policy in 32 yrs of driving. (I had one fault accident, but I was named on my wifes policy).

I shop around each year for my insurance, and usually go for the best offer. This means I have had a number of insurers over the past few years.

All insurers invariably ask for proof of NCD by you sending the renewal invitation from your previous insurer. As there is no national database of verified NCD (or if there is it seems to be only as good as your last insurer)

This year, as usual I shopped around and found a policy which was £170 cheaper than my previous insurer. This was carefully researched, and was like for like on terms etc.

My renewal from previous insurer said I was due 8 yrs no claims discount. When I went to them a year previously, the previous insurer had given me 9 yrs. The fact is, different companies have different maximum years of no claims, ranging from 5 to 10 years! and they will usually only put the maximum number of years that they will offer.

So this year my current insurer has given me 8, and when I verbally arranged the new policy I had said 10 yrs.

I got an email from my new insurer that said I had not declared the same amount of NCD as they had established, and that unless I could provide proof of the 10 years, they would want some more money from me, as I was not at maximum NCD.

Unless you have kept copies of the renewals over the years, it is very difficult to prove how many years NCD you should be entitled to.

Luckily I have sorted this out. I am very grateful to my previous insurer A-Plan, who took it on themselves to look back through their records and find the renewal from the previous insurer to them, to help me prove my 10 year entitlement! This is customer service above and beyond, because some other insurance companies would have probably been impossible to deal with on such an issue.

Next year, I will contact A-Plan again, as I feel quite guilty now for moving away, but £170 is a lot of money!

Post #148837316th Jun 2015 3:05 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I am always very careful what I say on the phone and clearly( In my mind) differentiate between the number of years NCD and the number without claims. The two are entirely different and as you say the maximum NCD available, varies between insurers. Good service from A-Plan

Post #148837816th Jun 2015 3:36 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Thats a stinger Gareth Rolling Eyes Reading this I just realised I've been with LRI for 13 years Shocked

I use other insurers to get a feeling of the market and then ask LRI to match or get as close as. It can be a PITA trying to make like for like comparisons in policies but I guess staying with the same outfit means that loss of NCD is something I don't have to worry about.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #148838116th Jun 2015 3:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >