DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

10 yr old Disco, to warranty or not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
leprechaun

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
10 yr old Disco, to warranty or not?

Hi all,

As per the title, my Disco is 10 yrs old and has done 98k.

I'm taking it for a service and timing belt change soon which no doubt will cost a fair few hundred quid, do you think it's worth getting a warranty on top of that on a car of this age? It runs fine and has just passed its MOT a couple of weeks ago, for what that's worth.

I've had a quote from WD for Extracare at £765 for 12 months but despite my haggling they won't drop the betterment so I'll be liable for 50% of the parts cost should I need to claim.

I'm in two minds as my previous motor, a Mkii Hyundai Santa Fe with 80k, went pop when the water pump failed and took the engine with it:-( I ended up selling it for spares/repair it as I had no warranty...it hurt. Big Cry

Any advice would be appreciated Very Happy

Post #14518061st Apr 2015 12:48 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

If you intend having a garage do servicing and don't have tools, skill or inclination to deal with repairs, and can't afford a big shock, then go for warranty. But check max mileage covered and miles per annum. If you go for it ask them to guarantee premium and cover in 12 months time. Also try pushing them on which hourly rate (indie or dealer).
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #14518141st Apr 2015 1:01 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Your Disco's belts are 3 years overdue if they have not been changed from new Shocked I would take insurance out now or change the belts before it is run again Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #14518201st Apr 2015 1:04 pm
leprechaun

Thanks for the advice both...

It has a full service history but I've got no evidence of the belts being changed so it's the first thing on the list, if it turns out they've been done then fine but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Think I'll go with the warranty on the basis that I haven't done any serious work on a car for almost 20 years...changed a few cylinder heads and did brakes/suspension on early bangers that I ran but got a feeling that the Disco might be a different kettle of fish Very Happy

Post #14518241st Apr 2015 1:22 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Save your money and put anything you would have paid towards a warranty into a kitty. You'll be quids in. My old bus is 10years old and has been run without a warranty for 5 years. Most claims you make will be classed as wear and tear anyway.

Speak to to the site sponsors on here about getting your belts done. At least you know they'll be done right. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #14518371st Apr 2015 1:58 pm
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I agree with Moo. I had a warranty on mine until I reached about 100k miles when the excess started going up significantly. The warranty company will also start using wear and tear or corrosion or some other get-out clause in the policy to avoid paying out.

I think I was paying about £70pm for my "top of the range" policy which was supposed to be the highest
level of cover available. If you put this amount aside every month, it soon mounts up.

Post #14518591st Apr 2015 2:40 pm
leprechaun

It's certainly tempting just to save the £70 a month that it would cost me for the warranty, it might be worth waiting until after the service/belt change to see if they identify any looming issues.

Post #14518671st Apr 2015 2:53 pm
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I agree with the 'nay sayers'. At that age and mileage (same as mine) all you are really covering is a blown engine and gearbox. Everything else I would guess they will play the wear and tear card and wriggle out like they always try and do!!

You also have to factor in the extra cost you will have to pay for the belt change and service at a VAT registered garage to satisfy their requirements and you will get that done £££'s cheaper by one of the guys on here.

Also more places are starting to replace engines with second hand units as they become available and whilst not cheap it's a lot cheaper than it used to be.

As you can tell I'm a wee bit cynical of warranties, apart from the original warranty you get when new. I've only ever done the after market route once and in my case it was as much use as a chocolate fire-guard!!

You pays your money and takes your choice as they say. I'm nearly 2 years into ownership of my latest D3 and so far (touch wood) a warranty would have been money down the drain, lets hope it stays that way Thumbs Up
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #14518961st Apr 2015 3:31 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

When I had my WD warranty it INCLUDED wear and tear items such as suspension bushes etc (obviously not brakes or exhaust Rolling Eyes ) and I had no particular problem with any claim either.

That said, I've had the car for over 4 years now and only had warranty for the first year to ensure any items cropping up from not so diligent previous ownership were dealt with. Been saving my money ever since Smile

Last edited by maplecottage on 1st Apr 2015 3:42 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #14519001st Apr 2015 3:39 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Never tempt fate!
I fell out with WD when I tried to get fromt ball joints done on my D3 a few years back - they declined, wear and tear, I then pointed out that the car would fail it's impending MOT because of this so I'll just leave it and let the specific MOT cover in the warranty pick it up, oh no sir, as this has already been highlighted, we wont pay out on that - more fool me I guess

In fairnes I did get a new EPB and EGRV's fixed, though the EPB was touch and go

You pay's your money and takes your choice

Good luck whichever route you take

Post #14519011st Apr 2015 3:39 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I agree with Moo although a blown engine would be a nasty position if you are that unlucky then it is credit card time.

I saved all in premium bonds and have a good couple of grand aside now Thumbs Up
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #14519071st Apr 2015 3:52 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
I've had a quote from WD for Extracare at £765 for 12 months but despite my haggling they won't drop the betterment so I'll be liable for 50% of the parts cost should I need to claim.

I took out a WD warranty last year and got the betterment clause dropped for an extra £50, it was £50 well spent as I have just had my turbo replaced Thumbs Up Also I got 13 months for the price of 12 and they threw in the emissions and airbags FOC.

Post #14519121st Apr 2015 3:59 pm
ronk

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Premium bonds !
That's a cracking good idea👍

I've got a warranty but at the mot today it failed on a partially seized front calliper and true to form the warranty bandits won't pay up.

Last edited by ronk on 1st Apr 2015 4:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #14519131st Apr 2015 4:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cowhead

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I took out a 2 year warranty with Olympic Warranties http://www.olympicwarranties.co.uk/ when I bought mine - it cost me £285. All seems legit and their policy seems to cover most things. They do have a £1000 limit but might be worth a look?

Post #14519141st Apr 2015 4:06 pm
DiscoZack

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

As others will no doubt chime in, it maybe worth adding the oil pump/casing to the belt change Whistle

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic107148.html?highlight=oil+pump

Most advice I've seen on the forum says do both since belt change time is the easiest I believe one of the sponsors does a kit belts, tensioners and casing.
 Cheers, Chris in Cambridge
D3 56 TDV6 Metropolis LE
LH EGR valve replaced, cambelt changed
Amateur Radio Callsign - G6EUI
My other car is a Volvo S60 T5
Previous:
Discovery 2 2.5 Td5 S - 7 seat - Blue
Discovery 2 2.5 Td5 ES - 7 seat - Maroon
Isuzu Trooper 3.2 V6 Auto - Red
Isuzu Trooper 3.2 V6 Manual - Red
IIDTool BT, Nanocon Evo 2 

Post #14519241st Apr 2015 4:23 pm