Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

LR Extended Warranty - who pays to investigate?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LaserTam

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
LR Extended Warranty - who pays to investigate?

Just booked my D4 in to look at a fluid leak, possibly power steering. It's a local dealer who I have not used before (service quote in Nov was way too high, but that's not relevant to this....).
The lady kindly advised that I would be liable for an investigation charge of £60. If that then determines that the fault is covered by the warranty, then further cost to rectify would be covered by the warranty.
This is the first time I have needed to have any faults investigated, but this did seem a bit of a surprise to me. I get that if it isn't a warranty item, then I would have to pay have however I wouldn't have thought I would have to pay anything if it's warranty claim.
I rang LR warranty people and they confirmed what I suspected and the diagnosis time would be covered, but having ring the dealer again, they still say that the warranty wouldn't cover that investigation work -"it doesn't normally"

Just wondering what other people's experiences are? The LR warranty isn't cheap, so I'm willing to challenge it should it come to it.
 MY2012 D4 HSE Nara Bronze with some extra stuff  
Post #161258519th Feb 2016 1:45 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

My experience is the same as your assumption/understanding, namely that if a warranty claim is accepted then the investigative work is covered too. The issue may be that the dealers cannot charge the warranty people as much as you and I as there is a ceiling to the hourly rate.
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #161259419th Feb 2016 1:58 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I have never paid any investigation charge for LR warranty be it original or extended , all claims I have made being covered by the Warranty. One occasion WD would only pay to replace the part not the investigation to prove it faulty.

Post #161261819th Feb 2016 2:51 pm
Tunny

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Something smells "fishy" mine has been back 8 times under LR 2year used car warranty and I've never payed a £ maybe one for LR customer service to answer?

Post #161266519th Feb 2016 4:48 pm
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If the fault is covered by the warranty then the warranty will also cover the diagnosis. If the fault isn't covered by the warranty the you'll have to pay for the diagnosis yourself.
 MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price! - So good I bought another!
MY2012 D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - retired to a new home

Post #161267419th Feb 2016 5:07 pm
LaserTam

Thanks for the confirmation chaps. Maybe the stealer is pulling a fast one to compensate for the £ per hour they will get from LR, we shall have to see. At least I am pre-armed should the need arise.
When I rang LR Warranty people, there was no suggestion of any doubt - diagnosis costs will be met - just odd why the service desk person didn't seem to get that.
Booked in for week after next.
Post #161270919th Feb 2016 6:46 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Go to a different dealer. The service quote should be a clue as to what they are like.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #161290420th Feb 2016 12:19 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

I had to pay this charge as my fault was not covered under the warranty but if it had been then I would not expect to have to pay
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #161422622nd Feb 2016 4:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LaserTam

Kind of an update - car was in being looked at today. It is power steering fluid, but to fix they need to replace a hose and the steering rack - which was a bit of a surprise. Dealer can't get a price on the parts for some reason, he explained it as "a LR block on the steering rack", so can't yet confirm with LR Warranty that it will be covered, but he suspects it will be - flippin better be, don't pay for extended warranty for nothing.... expecting an update tomorrow, they still have the car. No mention of the inspection/diagnosis fee either when I checked it in this morning or when they rang with the update.
Post #16187561st Mar 2016 6:56 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

if things are clearly broke its easy they pay....the problem comes when everybody spends hours trying to find things wrong and don't so who pays then.

Post #16189301st Mar 2016 10:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LaserTam

Its covered by the warranty - Very Happy - slight issue that the steering rack is on back order, but garage tell me they are doing their best to get the parts.
Garage mentioned about possibility of a courtesy car - I need the D4 on Saturday to move some stuff and I explained that to him. He didn't commit whether the courtesy car would be a D4 though, but I am assuming not.
Anyone know where in terms of a courtesy car etc. Does LR Warranty people organise that? I have heard that if its roadside breakdown, replacement car is arranged but wasn't sure about something like this. The fluid leak has been happening for a while, so if they put the car back together, I can drive it. But would have thought the courtesy car should be an equivalent vehicle.
Post #16192682nd Mar 2016 6:34 pm
LaserTam

Just picked up the car. No mention of any charge for inspection, nor for the courtesy car actually which I was surprised about, recent experience from dealers has been a charge for insurance.

In better news, should I not have had the warranty, my wallet would have been thinner to the tune of £1500. Already up on the deal with 9 months to go Thumbs Up
Post #16226189th Mar 2016 6:46 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

I am suprosed that they have put a new rack on it, I was told when I had the "O" ring replaced whilst in my ownership that the "O" rings were known to leak from time to time and from what you described to me it sounded exactly the same.
Main thing is it is repaired and at NO cost to you.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #16226239th Mar 2016 6:56 pm
LaserTam

Hi Russell - it was apparently leaking in two places, maybe one was the O ring, they didn't elaborate, but apparently the rack had to be changed because it was leaking from a non-serviceable part, so it all has to be replaced. Pleased to have it back, originally they said couldn't get the part till end of this week at the earliest - it arrived early. The Jag XE I had wasn't quite the same Wink
Post #16226339th Mar 2016 7:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >