Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Rev related noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ReadySalted

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Rev related noise

Hi guys - sorry to be starting a 'can you diagnose my car from the other side of the country' type thread but I thought any help I can get is much appreciated.

Disco 3 (2009 TDV6 118k) has been running fine and was due to have a service in a few weeks. However yesterday I noticed a sort of barbling noise, almost like the induction noise you get from a snorkel! It almost sounds as though it's got a hint of V8 about it!! I drove it about 60 miles yesterday and another 15 today and it feels like it's getting worse but that could just be me more aware of it now.

- The noise is present from when you turn the engine on,
- When you engage Drive or Reverse the noise get's noticeably louder
- The speed of the barbling matches the revs not the road speed (i.e. if I drive along slowly and knock it into neutral and rev the engine, the noise speed increases with the engine speed).
- When I've had the mrs sit in and engage drive while I have a look under bonnet and around car to identify the noise, it's difficult to pinpoint but sounds like it's coming from transmission tunnel or top of engine below the centre of the windscreen.

My first thought was probably a split hose but I've checked what I can see and get my hands to and the hoses look fine. My second thought was possibly diff or transfer box, but that's me guessing really. It seems to be driving fine and as normal really, I tried it in command shift for several miles today and it changed with no noises or clunks and it doesn't seem down on power at all.
 Discovery 3 XS - sold
L322 Range Rover Vogue - sold
TD5 Defender 90 - sold
200tdi Defender 110 - sold
300tdi disco ES - died
Series 3 88" Petrol - sold
300tdi disco XS - sold 

Post #224592310th Aug 2021 8:42 am
ReadySalted

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

So just a follow up for anybody who was curious how this turned out, or comes across this in future...

After worrying about the noise for a couple of days, and driving the car about 10 miles and noticing it getting worse I was getting extremely concerned. I ended up listening to YouTube videos of disco 3’s making weird noises and came across a few with the exact noise mine was making. The noise in the videos was the main bearing failure and when I learned this my worry turned to panic.

I got a local landy garage to have a listen and the chap said he wasn’t certain it was bottom end bearings failing but could be. Said it could also be inlet manifold but would need smoke test and other diagnostic work to confirm. He may just have been trying to give me some form of hope, I’m really not sure. At this point I was hoping and praying that the noise might ‘only’ cost me a couple of grand to solve and that’s not a great place to be. Such is the risk we run, by choosing to own 12 year old, high mileage, luxury vehicles.

I did some research about the cost of an engine replacement and after reading some of disco mikeys posts realised that a job worth doing would cost 5-7k and that the companies I saw on eBay offering engine swaps for 3k were false economy.

With that in mind I decided that I couldn’t justify rolling the dice and spending money on diagnosing something which I couldn’t justify the money to fix anyway. When you’re at that point you know that’s the right time to put her out of her misery.

Its a very tidy 2009 discovery (58 plate) but it’s getting tired worn, and approaching 15 years old. With 118k miles on the clock I constantly feel I’m on borrowed time waiting for something very expensive to go wrong, and I’ve never had an annual service under £750 because there’s always a prop or bushes or brake lines etc which need replacing. So the outcome is that I took the car to we buy any car and sold it for 4500. It’s overdue a service, so with that and without the engine knocking it might have got 6500 on eBay, but I’m happy to hedge my bets and make it somebody else’s problem.

It’s all happened quite quickly so a bit bizarre really as the disco 3 in everything except reliability has been the best car I’ve ever owned. Unfortunately reliability is probably the most important single factor, and without it a car is pointless. I wouldn’t say this has broken my love for the green oval, but I think it’s made me see the light... ...if I win the lottery then maybe I’ll have another landrover one day. But for now those days for me are over and I’m off to buy a jap car lol.

There will be a dog guard and an icarsoft going on eBay in the next few days and then you probably won’t hear from me again so all I can say is thank you forum for the fantastic resource you have been, quite incredible. And enjoy fixing your landys!! Rolling with laughter
 Discovery 3 XS - sold
L322 Range Rover Vogue - sold
TD5 Defender 90 - sold
200tdi Defender 110 - sold
300tdi disco ES - died
Series 3 88" Petrol - sold
300tdi disco XS - sold 

Post #224693616th Aug 2021 10:58 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Well that was a sad end.

Good luck.

Post #224694317th Aug 2021 1:07 am
AdamRandall

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

I feel your pain mate. In 12 months of ownership, I’ve replaced the suspension compressor (£900), replaced the driver side window (£250) and the last MOT cost £3200.

To make matters worse, I still need the timing belt replaced along with my power steering pump
 12 months of D3 ownership have passed and I’m still loving it!  
Post #224714418th Aug 2021 7:46 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Be sad to see anyone go like this ... from comments in many threads, why not look at a Freelander2 as next motor ?

Post #224714618th Aug 2021 8:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >