Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Advice please...sill rust & rock-sliders, what to do...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
megd123

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Advice please...sill rust & rock-sliders, what to do...

Hi all,
I was hoping for some advice about sill rust, but in my specific case underneath some rock sliders.

My 2006 Discovery had these Rock Sliders on when I got it, and I see that a previous owner has done a little rust treatment underneath them previously at both rear doors / wheel arch (which I know is where they start to go!).

The rust has now started to show again in this same spot (see pics below), so I was going to remove the Rock Sliders, treat what I can and then put them back on again.

Issue is that removing them is proving REALLY difficult. Only around 4 out of c.20 bolts will undo, the rest I am going to have to (I suspect) drill the head off to get the Rock Sliders off...and then I'm not sure how to remove the rest of the bolt out so I can refit them again.

My question therefore is whether that is really worth it? OK, I know the rust isn't great and will only get worse under the sliders, but the Rock Sliders themselves are solid.
I basically have an RSJ there instead of a sill currently! And if I remove them, especially by drilling every bolt, I'm worried I won't get them back on again...and end-up with a rusty (& much weaker) sill instead.

I do love the car and plan to keep it a decent while, and I know the purist would advise I sort it out.
But realistically a) something else could go wrong in 5 years (or less!) that means the car dies anyway, and b) funds are a little tight just now too TBH!

So what are your thoughts? All advice / thoughts / what you would do welcome. And thanks in advance for your help...

(PS: I'm not bad car DIY-er, but no expert! So if it was bad and needed new sections / welding, I'd need to get a professional.)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #234771713th Sep 2023 2:08 pm
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 

Based on my experience of my own car earlier in the year which had less visibility rust than yours the sills and inner arches needed repair.

Personally I’d get the sliders off, and if you cut the heads off the bolts, then whoever is doing the welding work for you ask them to weld some nuts onto the remains and wind the bolts out.

I’ve attached a couple of pictures of my sills mid repair.

Post #234775513th Sep 2023 8:09 pm
megd123

Thanks for your reply @Jamiehol, and for sharing the pictures too which is really useful.

I guess what I'm kind of wondering is how urgent / important this fix is right now - seeing as my rock-sliders are currently providing an even stronger 'sill' than the original would have been. And don't imagine it would be an MOT issue as the outside is rock solid.

Obviously by leaving it then the rust will only go deeper, but not sure whether that really makes it a bigger issue - or just means having to do bigger sill repair in years to come? (If the car is still going at that point.)

Your pictures are useful however - doesn't look overly complicated, so maybe I could get a mate to help and get it done properly...hmmm.

Post #234817718th Sep 2023 7:04 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

It is a moot point if Sills are a MOT issue. Not many tester are familiar with the concept of a separate chassis so they treat the body as a monocoque where the sills are a structural component.

Good luck with trying to convince the tester otherwise.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #234818018th Sep 2023 7:33 pm
megd123

Ah, good to know @HairyFool. Good local garage here used to various LRs, and who have sorted out rust problems on a previous car to get it through, so fingers crossed for now I guess.

Post #234818318th Sep 2023 7:54 pm
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 

As has been said from an MOT tester point of view if they can see bad rust either on the outside or on the inner sill at the end then they will fail it.

It’s worth noting in my case on the outside you couldn’t see any rust as the plastic cover were on, it was the fact the inner sills were crusty and that is what it failed on, so by just leaving the rust till it’s a MOT issue it’s a bit of a lottery, probably better to tackle it sooner than later.

Post #234819518th Sep 2023 8:42 pm
megd123

Thanks @Jamiehol, good to know!

Cheers for all the advice everyone. Thumbs Up

Post #234844120th Sep 2023 7:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >