Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
grob1971

Switzerland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
DPF overhaul process on Discovery 3 - 2008

1. General Overview:

Click image to enlarge

[/u]

In Switzerland starting from model-year 2008 Discovery 3 was equipped with DPF.

When my car was completely refurbished in 2023 DPF Assembly (5H270 – WAG501000) was chemically cleansed; along with that three sensors were replaced as well (12B591A – WDN500130, 12B591B – WDN500110 and 12B591C – WDN500050), the cleansed DPF worked for ~ 3500km, problem occurred that soot level went up to 43 g with a message on the dashboard; tried DPF to forced regen, but all regeneration attempts failed and finally soot level went up 45.4g.

So, I took the complete DPF off; it was fully clogged and damaged as well as turned out later. Literally, I had two options:
• option #1 - aftermarket: go for an aftermarket product;
• option #2 - remanufacturing: rebuild the existing one as JLR does not have WAG501000 and latest price tag was around ~ Sfr 3’000.00.

Finally, option #2 was selected – in this case you have two options again: rebuild with silicon carbide or cordierite internal filter structure– I selected with silicon carbide material. While, aftermarket DPFs on auto-doc.ch ranged from Sfr 250.00 through to Sfr 1’000.00 – remanufacturing cost was close to the high price aftermarket range.

The overhauling process happened with new genuine parts – see all details below. In general it is not a complicated task at all.

2. The assembly process

Front side:

Rear side:

3. Test results:

Click image to enlarge

4. Genuine Parts:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

5. Other Materials:

Mannol 9896 - Copper Paste Mannol
Bosal 258-502- Seal Paste for exhaust systems

Click image to enlarge

6. Preventive DPF maintenance:

In the meantime, I invested a bit further into this DPF problem and landed to use Launch UK products in longer term– see details below.

This DPF gun is an advanced single application product designed to recover a blocked or restricted DPF, which is beyond passive or forced regeneration. I will use this gun along with the GAP diagnostic tool to check and clear codes.

DPG gun
Click image to enlarge

DPF Cleaning Fluid:
Click image to enlarge

As per manufacturer recommendation the gun’s fluid container (1L) should be mixed in a ratio of 70% of water and 30% of DPF cleaning fluid for regular cleansing. However, for larger DPFs or heavy contamination recommendation is a 50-50 mix – actually I used this scenario for my Discovery 5.

In order to provide a proper pressure I used my Milwaukee compressor setting 3 bar on it.

Compressor:
Click image to enlarge

DPF cleaner & flow restorer:
This bottle should be filled into the diesel tank after the cleansing process is complete with DPF Cleaning Fluid. This will continue the cleansing process through normal vehicle usage and discourage further blockage.

Click image to enlarge

I hope this information will be useful.

Post #236930521st May 2024 3:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >