Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

The FBH & mid-line ICE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MogulBoy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
The FBH & mid-line ICE

I've ordered a Euro spec SE model and bel'eve that I'll be getting what they call the "Mid-Line ICE".

I believe that this means that I don't get any touch-screen functionality but does that mean that I'll lose any control over the functionality of the Fuel Burning Heater option?

Will I stil ahve full control of the programmable functions or will it just be via the remote fob?

Cheers,

Post #69653524th Sep 2010 11:15 am
elemental

Switzerland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

The Swiss HSE comes with mid-line ICE as standard. No control over FBH, it's not the separately programmable/controllable standheizung/block heater (which is a 2k option), it's just to warm the cabin quicker from cold starts under 7C (I think). ICE is touchscreen though just lower spec/fewer speakers than the fancy and expensive upgrade. Sounds great despite this anyway.
 using arm rest more than rear diff  
Post #69656524th Sep 2010 12:27 pm
MogulBoy

I have ordered the optional FBH.

I understand that the actual heater unit is already there so I'm paying £850 ex-VAT + Swiss import costs for the added functionality to use it as an auxilliary heater / a/c source...

For that money, I expect to get the remote key fob but I was wondering if there is full control over the timer/programmable functions via the non-touch screen Mid-Line ICE?

The trouble is that non-HSE models are so darned rare in this country, I've never seen one! I don't think I've even seen one with the Mid-Line ICE. The local service department will be highly amused when they see mine with its cloth seats!!

Post #69657824th Sep 2010 1:05 pm
elemental

Ah sorry for the misunderstanding. I've never seen an TDV6 SE either. There's a dealer in ZH that has 5 V8 SEs all green with near consecutive VINs and cloth from 2004. But that don't help you much Very Happy

But I will say that my mid-line ICE is fully touch screen for all functions, however I don't have the function you are enquiring about, so am again less than useful. Whistle
Post #69659624th Sep 2010 1:50 pm
RichardB

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I suspect the spec you have is very close to the UK XS model.

The XS has a good ICE but not quite as top end as the HSE. The ICE is touch screen controllable. Our XS (or HSE for that matter) doesn't come with the FBH remote as standard. On all models its an extra. But if you buy the extra remote option, it then also has configured the timer/manual option that is operable from the touch screen.

If you have gone for the remote, it's a pretty good bet you will get the on screen stuff too. Not a chea option but it is rather good to have.

(I did it on the cheap by getting BAS to do config tweak and then added the remote module in Smile )

Post #69673824th Sep 2010 10:48 pm
MogulBoy

Hi RichardB,

I had originally hoped that I could have had the Reversing Camera and iPod lead with the standard Mid-Line ICE but I was told that I'd need to pay circa £650 (plus taxes) to upgrade to from Mid-Line to High-Line (and possibly even added navigation that I don't want/need).

The upshot is that I'm sticking with Mid-Line ICE with no reversinge camera (boo hoo!) but I still hope that there will be a basic auxillary input (if not a full blown iPod connection).

What confused me was that the price list states that the Hi-Line ICE is 'touch screen' but you saying that the Mid-Line is already touch screen...

The difference apepars to be that only the Highline is branded Harman/Kardon (they are both 240w and both have 9 speakers but does High-Line give you uprated speakers?) and it comes with the USB socket / iPod functionality (but they still want to charge you more for a cable to plug one in!)

Cheers
Option Code 025KM
Audio System: 9 Speakers including Subwoofer, Radio, Single Slot CD Player, Auxiliary Input, Audio Amplifier (240 Watts) (formerly known as "Mid-Line ICE")

Option Code 025GP
Audio System - Harman/Kardon (USB): 9 Speakers including Subwoofer, Radio, Single Slot CD Player, Portable Audio Interface, Touch Screen, Audio Amplifier (240 Watts) (formerly known as "Hi-Line ICE")

Post #69774128th Sep 2010 11:01 am
RichardB

MogulBoy wrote:
Hi RichardB,

I had originally hoped that I could have had the Reversing Camera and iPod lead with the standard Mid-Line ICE but I was told that I'd need to pay circa £650 (plus taxes) to upgrade to from Mid-Line to High-Line (and possibly even added navigation that I don't want/need).

The upshot is that I'm sticking with Mid-Line ICE with no reversinge camera (boo hoo!) but I still hope that there will be a basic auxillary input (if not a full blown iPod connection).

What confused me was that the price list states that the Hi-Line ICE is 'touch screen' but you saying that the Mid-Line is already touch screen...

The difference apepars to be that only the Highline is branded Harman/Kardon (they are both 240w and both have 9 speakers but does High-Line give you uprated speakers?) and it comes with the USB socket / iPod functionality (but they still want to charge you more for a cable to plug one in!)

Cheers
Option Code 025KM
Audio System: 9 Speakers including Subwoofer, Radio, Single Slot CD Player, Auxiliary Input, Audio Amplifier (240 Watts) (formerly known as "Mid-Line ICE")

Option Code 025GP
Audio System - Harman/Kardon (USB): 9 Speakers including Subwoofer, Radio, Single Slot CD Player, Portable Audio Interface, Touch Screen, Audio Amplifier (240 Watts) (formerly known as "Hi-Line ICE")

It's possible that your european spec is different to the UK one. The XS and HSE here differ in several ways.

The XS gives touch screen, Nav, good hi-fi (Harmon Kardon) with ipod & usb interface controllable from touch screen and bluetooth. Ipod lead is an extra as is the reversing camera

The HSE then ups the number of speakers by a couple, I think adds rear seat entertainment (not absolutely sure on this as I have the XS), provides premium Nav (i.e. has 4x4, off road screen and traffic info) and includes reversing camera as standard. Not sure if the ipod lead is std. (I'd hope so for the premium!) Also has other stuff like electric seats and sunroofs etc which is a bit off topic here.

So here we can get the XS and add camera and ipod without much issue. I'd talk carefully to the dealer. to confirm or otherwise the touch screen aspect. If you have the touch screen, the reversing camera is a great extra - def worth having in my view.

Post #69802228th Sep 2010 11:15 pm
elemental

RichardB wrote:

The HSE then ups the number of speakers by a couple, I think adds rear seat entertainment (not absolutely sure on this as I have the XS), provides premium Nav (i.e. has 4x4, off road screen and traffic info) and includes reversing camera as standard. Not sure if the ipod lead is std. (

All these for the Swiss HSE are options, except the premium nav which is included with the mid line ice. The ipod lead is a cost free option but you have to explicitly order it or else they don't supply it, but the connection is there in the cubby box next to the USB input. Agree on reverse camera. It's great.
Post #69809829th Sep 2010 10:32 am
MogulBoy

The wind has changed and I'm already thinking about the skiiing season ahead and a toasty D4 to drive home in.

Wishful thinking perhaps but does anyone know over what sort of range you can expect the the remote fob for the FBH work (I accept that whether were talking line of sight or not would have an impact).

Does the fob give you any feedback that the message has got through?

I seem to recall hearing about a 1-2km range when I first heard about similar systems some years ago which would be pretty cool and then of course, I assume that there's still the possibility of a mobile phone based activation mod.

Cheers,

Post #69826929th Sep 2010 7:25 pm
Ian825

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Press the on button on my fob & the green light on the fob comes on then starts to flash every few seconds to say that the message has been received & the FBH is running, alternatively the light on the fob goes red to say its failed (which I've only seen when trying it at unrealistic ranges) it works easily from my office to car park which is several hundred yards but not yet tried it further so don't know the full range.
I think the book gives a range? but it's hammering it down here so will have to wait as I ain't going outside to get the book until it's stopped Rolling Eyes

Post #69827129th Sep 2010 7:32 pm
MogulBoy

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that there is some form of visual feeback!

Post #69835729th Sep 2010 10:05 pm
MogulBoy

Just to close the loop on this one, I've now been advised that for vehicles without the touch screen, the timed climate operation can be accessed from the vehicle settings menu (via the 5" TFT screen in front of the driver).

Post #69846530th Sep 2010 10:00 am
RichardB

MogulBoy wrote:
The wind has changed and I'm already thinking about the skiiing season ahead and a toasty D4 to drive home in.

Wishful thinking perhaps but does anyone know over what sort of range you can expect the the remote fob for the FBH work (I accept that whether were talking line of sight or not would have an impact).

Does the fob give you any feedback that the message has got through?

I seem to recall hearing about a 1-2km range when I first heard about similar systems some years ago which would be pretty cool and then of course, I assume that there's still the possibility of a mobile phone based activation mod.

Cheers,

I believe range is "up to" 1000m. Haven't tried to do a test though. Yes, it gives feedback via LED

Post #69874430th Sep 2010 10:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >