Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Tow bar TSB
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
blue200tdi

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have a 2006 Disco 3, in the hand book, which is the original, it states that the nose weight for the detachable tow bar is 150KG, and every document I have seen says the same. So, the 'revised' bit of the nose weight must be a misprint.

I suspect that the reason there has been no recall is because the hitches that failed were probably caused by user error, or at least cannot be proved either way. I would have thought it was common sense that towing a 3.5 ton trailer every day for thousands of miles would put extra strain on the removable tow hitch and should require a fixed tow bar.

Also, how does the tow bar just fall out? The steel pin holds it in, so even if the receiver was loose it still shouldn't fall out. If the pin is intact on the ones that have fallen out then surely they must have been fitted incorrectly?

Some of the heaviest caravans are still under two tons and boats are deceptively light, I could tow my 17 feet speed boat with a Fiesta XR2. Shocked Very Happy

Anyhow, I don't see a problem. If you tow a caravan or boat ETC for leisure use, then the removable tow bar will be fine. Anything that is towed for commercial use I'd fit a fixed tow bar, you can pick them up for £141 with free postage these days, brand new. Why everyone is panicking about it is puzzling Confused
 You guys are gonna be busier than a test bench in a plunger factory!
Java black 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE AUTO.
2014 Kawasaki ZZR1400 Performance sport. 

Post #106906710th Mar 2013 1:00 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

If you don't see a problem then thats fine Thumbs Up I changed mine due to the unacceptable amount of freeplay between the towbar and the socket, my choice. Whistle

The point is, that when I bought my towbar there was no distinction made between the towbars usage, the only difference was that the fixed bar was adjustable. Landrover are now saying that they have revised the noseweight limit, although it doesnt appear they have, and the removable bar is only suitable for occasional use.

I don't want to get into a pointless debate about what constitutes occasional use, as we will all have our own opinions. The Oxford dictionary states :- Occasional (adjective) happening from time to time but not regular or frequent.

Everyone will have their own interpretation of that, and at the end of the day only a court could decide exactly what it meant. I only have two questions, why did Landrover feel the need to say they have revised the noseweight, which they haven't, and why the removable bar is now only for occasional use ? Remember, the devil is in the detail. Whistle

Post #106927810th Mar 2013 2:31 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

blue200tdi wrote:
If you tow a caravan or boat ETC for leisure use, then the removable tow bar will be fine. Anything that is towed for commercial use I'd fit a fixed tow bar, you can pick them up for £141 with free postage these days, brand new.....

I cant see why this is different
....leisure use imposes just as much strain as any other......users who use their tow hook seldom may not realise the issue...which is the reason they should know.
....its supposing that commercial users do know & are somehow "better"........which may be miles from the true situation

Quote:
Why everyone is panicking about it is puzzling

me panic ....not really I'm just worried that this issue has come to light & in this way....a couple of posts above this say quite rightly if the makers have changed the specification (downrated it in some way) it affects all those out there in use whatever this is.....mine seems to fit well & is a Censored to get in & out - it doesn't rattle...but I'm going to have a good look.

I could have just ignored the post/s - but I read this forum & get valuable data of what could happen...

If LandRover are readers of this forum they should take note of the serious concern, potential for error from non-hostlie users & loyal customers...things will take a different turn if there is an accident, someones hurt & there are any claims made...the words said on here are admissible in evidence...its the public domain.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #106928410th Mar 2013 2:39 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

B16 KJR wrote:
If you don't see a problem then thats fine

I don't want to get into a pointless debate about what constitutes occasional use,

Everyone will have their own interpretation

You might not want "pointless debates" and yet you seem to want to continually generate them Wink

Face facts B16 ...it isn't a problem for the vast majority of people who get on very well with their bar ...VOSA aren't interested ...despite being told "they are onto it" ...VOSA's own information collected over several years indicates that the MOT failures due to play are below average for the 4x4 sector. Wink

Mountains and molehills Whistle Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #106939110th Mar 2013 6:39 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
You might not want "pointless debates" and yet you seem to want to continually generate them

As I said I don't want another pointless debate DG, you have your opinion and I have mine, lets leave it at that.

If you read back, I only wanted to know if anyone knew why Landrover decided to make the change, nothing else. If you don't know, thats fine, I don't know either thats why I am asking the question.

As for your comment about me generating pointless debates, I think you need to look back at some of your own posts Whistle Moderate don't dominate Thumbs Up

Post #106970311th Mar 2013 12:17 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Hey I'm not the one saying the debate is pointless ...you are Laughing

...and I don't see what this debate has to do with moderating. Confused Would you feel more comfortable debating with me if I wasn't a mod ?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #106970611th Mar 2013 12:30 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I used the word pointless to to try and prevent replies that had nothing whatsoever to do with the question in hand, that obviously didn't work Sad

Quote:
Would you feel more comfortable debating with me if I wasn't a mod ?

Probably, but I would feel even more comfortable face to face.

The main issue I have, is that with you, there is no debate, your opinion is always right Rolling Eyes If there is a debate going on and you don't agree with the points being made then that's it, everyone else is wrong. It gets very frustrating being continually told that your opinion is worthless, when all I am trying to do is get an answer to a simple question.

Please don't rubbish my efforts to find out why it was changed, it may not be a problem to you, or "the vast majority of people" but it is an issue to me. If its not an issue to you, then don't post a reply, leave the replies to the people who are concerned about it. Whistle

Normally on the forum there are people who have "insider knowledge" you being one of them, that is why I asked the question in the first place, to see if anyone had any idea why the change was instigated. I don't know about you, but I tow on a regular basis and I am heavily involved with the Caravan Club. A lot of people within the club tow very regularly and some could argue that constitutes regular and frequent towing, as opposed to occasional.

Most of the people within the club with D3's use the removable towbar and many could find themselves in a sticky situation in the event of an accident. Why leave things to chance, why not try and get a proper official statement from Landrover what exactly constitutes "occasional" and if the removable bar is suitable for the type of towing they do ? That way there would be no dubiety no argument, everyone would know exactly where they stood and if they had the correct towbar for the type of towing they do.

I was hoping Liam would see this and perhaps try and get an answer, but after reading all this bickering he probably now won't want to get involved. I will write directly to Landrover to see if they will clarify the position, but I won't post the reply on here as that would probably constitute "generating pointless debate" in your opinion.

Sorry for the rant guys, but as I said I am fed up with my efforts to clarify the position being rubbished. Confused

Post #106974311th Mar 2013 1:39 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

B16 KJR wrote:

The main issue I have, is that with you, there is no debate, your opinion is always right Rolling Eyes If there is a debate going on and you don't agree with the points being made then that's it, everyone else is wrong. It gets very frustrating being continually told that your opinion is worthless, when all I am trying to do is get an answer to a simple question.

OK I'm genuinely sorry that you feel that way.

People don't generally debate from a position of thinking that they are wrong and the purpose is for each side to give effective credence to their argument. Surely you cannot expect to put views in open forum and then not anticipate those views to be challenged. If as in this case it means that an impasse in opinion is crated then I guess that should be recognised and agreeing to disagree would be the only answer.

I don't know why you think that I think everyone else is wrong either, you can look back through previous debates and clearly see that I am fully capable of being swayed from my original stance and recognising that I have got it wrong. Something which many wouldn't do out of principal or fear of losing face. Not me though I was taught to hold my hand up when required Thumbs Up

I do fully respect yours and others views from your own experiences but sometimes this can come across to others that the problem is across the board creating an unnecessary fear factor when clearly the facts known at this time don't support that.

I'd be quite happy to have a cup of coffee with you when I'm up your way ...but somehow I get the feeling that's not what you had in mind Whistle Laughing

I'll bow out of this thread and other debating threads for the greater benefit Thumbs Up
Post #106975811th Mar 2013 2:07 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

The Large One wrote:
B16 KJR wrote:
Thats not what TLO told us about. He mentioned that on the boxes of new towbars, the removable one was now only labelled for "occasional light towing" or words to that effect.

there was an announcement on one of our internal bulletin boards, not a TSB but a general notifiacation on the same lines as DG posted which i copy pasted on here sometime ago
the quick release towbar is now classed as occasional towing as per nose weights for people who tow continual etc then best get the multi height

Not getting into squabbles about posts etc...this issue is far too important....its way above getting to verbal blows guys
I have had to read back all thats being written to see what I wrote & where this issue has come from & where its gone....
But what TLO originally wrote in this thread is even more significant:
....he says internal bulleting boards...not a TSB...which to me is even more concerning in that its probably meant for J/LR employees only...I have to ask why ?
Its us the customers who use these (either occasionally or otherwise) NOT J/LR employess in the main......CRITICALLY its in this use potentially something just isnt quite right or could go horribly wrong....& the fact there is an issue - i.e. a known one that has caused a management communication to that effect communicated in this way is my continued concern.
For what reason you may ask ? are they (J/LR) thinking that the data on the issue will sort of just percolate out...as opposed to a straight statement / TSB / Recall whatever
Most (other) makers recalls stem from a single (or few) incident that then has to be escalated to all those who may be affected or concerned....Just imagine you are towing whatever & you realise the trailer is either "loose" or comes off the back of the D3....at speed...MAYHEM.
I would be far more respectful of the makers, products, procedures if a straight statement was made - dont use the tow hitch or get it checked out...by an OFFICIAL communique...as would other road users as they are possibly & potentially far more affected.

I could say that if I didnt know I wouldnt be bothered - but the fact is I now do know....so I am bothered I do care, even to the point of stating the obvious on here & making a pillock of myself (again)...
actually I think that most D3/D4 owner - drivers are a sensible caring & concerned bunch who would given the right data act accordingly.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #106976011th Mar 2013 2:10 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
Surely you cannot expect to put views in open forum and then not anticipate those views to be challenged.

I didn't put any view, I asked a very important (to me) question.

Quote:

I'd be quite happy to have a cup of coffee with you when I'm up your way ...but somehow I get the feeling that's not what you had in mind

Not at all, you are very welcome to drop in here for a coffee anytime you are passing, I will PM you my address. Thumbs Up

The problem with forums is that it is sometimes very difficult to interpret what the other person is saying/meaning and the use of emoticons does not always give a true reflection of what is meant as a joke/tounge in cheek statement etc.

Quote:
sometimes this can come across to others that the problem is across the board creating an unnecessary fear factor when clearly the facts known at this time don't support that.

If you look back at my comments about this you will see that I only posted comments about what happened in my personal case, my towbar was slack in the socket so I replaced it, as there was no way I was going to risk towing with a towbar that had play in it.

All I commented on was my actual experience and was then barraged with comments that it could not possibly be true, etc, etc, etc, etc. The play in my towbar had not been verified etc, etc, etc. My towbar is OK so yours must be too etc, etc,etc. Thud

This was all very annoying, as all I was trying to do was warn people of my personal experience and get them to check their own towbar for piece of mind, instead I was shot down in flames and accused of "scaremongering" and creating fear Shocked All the person had to do was check the towbar, if there was no play they were fine, thats what I said many times.

B L Farrar.

Quote:
if a straight statement was made

I was with the Caravan Club Chairman and Immediate Past Chairman at the weekend but completely forgot to speak to them about this. I will drop him an email and ask if the Caravan Club will seek clarification from Landrover on behalf of its Members asking why the removable bar is now for occasional leisure use only. Landrover will probably respond better to a request from The CC than from a scaremongering individual Whistle (that comment is tongue in cheek Thumbs Up)

Post #106978511th Mar 2013 3:35 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

OK ...fair points taken Thumbs Up

Get the kettle on Wink
Post #106980811th Mar 2013 4:16 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Thumbs Up

Post #106983911th Mar 2013 5:24 pm
BLFarrar

Without falling out......

......Lifes not long enough for that..
we have have a powerfull lobby, a deep source of data, lots of help, some fun (mainly at somone elses expense) ribaldery (the costume mistake on Sunday awesome) & a place to be with like minded people

D3-ers & D4-ers

Brilliant !!!!
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #106986711th Mar 2013 6:17 pm
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

blue200tdi wrote:
Anything that is towed for commercial use I'd fit a fixed tow bar, you can pick them up for £141 with free postage these days, brand new.

I'd be interested to know where from. I'm thinking of strapping some bikes on the back of mine, whilst towing a caravan.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #106992111th Mar 2013 8:09 pm
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I think I'm missing the point here. Doesn't the variable height fixed towbar plug into the receiver and lock with a key, just like the detachable one ?

OK, it's got a couple lengths of steel to stabilise it, probably because of the drop plate, but won't there be the same risk of it dropping out of the receiver if not properly attached ?
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #107152014th Mar 2013 3:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >