Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Turning FBH on
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 17 <123 ... 8910 ... 151617>
RRUK
Site Supporter 

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

So I fitted the eBay sourced kit in about 30 mins today, using decent crimps and soldering wire extensions with shrink wrap.

Bought the orange wire from the forum shop.

Wired mine direct to the battery and to the earth point near the FBH. I ran out of black insulation tape so used red for now until I put cable trunking in. The control box has black tack to keep it still plus a decent zip tie.

Tested and works. Job done. (2nd remote on its way too)

1998 Defender 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

2016 Discovery 4 HSE

1982 Series 3 2.25 Petrol Hard top- Oscar, as featured in Classic Land Rover Magazine for 7 months 

Post #220368119th Jan 2021 6:29 pm
RRUK
Site Supporter 

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Tested this morning and it all works OK (so far).

Great stuff
 1998 Defender 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

2016 Discovery 4 HSE

1982 Series 3 2.25 Petrol Hard top- Oscar, as featured in Classic Land Rover Magazine for 7 months 

Post #220380820th Jan 2021 10:33 am
ballast

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up

Post #220384720th Jan 2021 1:18 pm
munst

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The inevitable has happened this morning, went out to take the bin out this morning and the FBH on the disco was running... hadn't told it to!

Checked the module and it was in the tripped (on) state. The remote is in the upper glove box so I'm confident it hasn't been pressed by accident. Now I have to start the long and probably impossible task of finding out which of my neighbours has a 433mhz remote. Next door have a remote garage door that used to set our doorbell off so I think I'll start there Laughing

Post #220385120th Jan 2021 1:23 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I don't know exactly how these work, but are you sure you didn't "leave it on" / forgot to turn it off, on the previous morning ?

I guess you have a plausible cause though

Post #220385520th Jan 2021 1:38 pm
munst

I had been out the night before to lockup and it wasn't running then, also dont think it had been running long as temp gauge was only about 30% and the wing and bonnet were still cold.

As I understand these 433mhz remotes have a standard protocol and each remote has a supposedly unique ID code which is stored in the module so they only trip when they receive that ID. You can re-pair these modules so might try that if it keeps happening.

Post #220385720th Jan 2021 1:44 pm
ballast

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Pete K is right. You have to switch them off (see earlier in this thread), otherwise they'll fire back up at some point. The remote control appears to over-ride the car instruction and it remains in its last state. So after you've driven it, you need to press B to switch it off. Had the same thing on mine.

Post #220388020th Jan 2021 3:48 pm
munst

Yes I am aware of the CANBUS/WBUS relationship. The car had been sat for several days without interference.

I'll get another key on order anyway so I have a spare and I'll pair it with that one if it happens again.

Post #220393320th Jan 2021 9:30 pm
Mikescotland

United Kingdom 

Guys
What happens with this module when you have webasto running via remote command and you turn the engine on at the time when webasto is running? Does it lock out the webasto or anything else happens?
I'm building slightly more complicated logic for this as I have no idea regarding the question above. The additional logic would switch off the module after the key in the ignition has been sensed. But I'm not sure if this is necessary?

Post #222698827th Apr 2021 1:07 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I would leave out that additional logic.
It would cause the heater to go into a cool down cycle and then, have to ramp up again, wasting minutes of heating

Post #222706527th Apr 2021 12:41 pm
Mikescotland

United Kingdom 

Fair point. I still don't know what happens if the remote switch still gives on signal and you turn on the engine in the same time...
The logic is also supposed to reset the remote receiver to off state to avoid the situation when remote is ON all the time (unless you press off button) resulting webasto firing up randomly when the drive ended (some people described this problem here).

If it doesn't cause any problems to turn engine on when remote webasto is keeping the FBH on (two same signals, one from the remote and one from the car), i would just have a logic to reset the remote receiver to Off state, leaving the timer to finish its time on. But, as I said, I don't know what happens when both, remote and the car, give the ON signal.

Post #222707027th Apr 2021 1:12 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Mikescotland wrote:
Guys
What happens with this module when you have webasto running via remote command and you turn the engine on at the time when webasto is running? Does it lock out the webasto or anything else happens?
I'm building slightly more complicated logic for this as I have no idea regarding the question above. The additional logic would switch off the module after the key in the ignition has been sensed. But I'm not sure if this is necessary?

As I understand it if the remote start has activated the FBH prior to engine start, there is no interference from LR settings when the engine is started. Since the start command was signalled by you via the remote module, equally the stop command must also be signalled by the remote.

However, now that you have a remote start fitted your first question might be does your FBH still have the capability to self start as LR intended?

Or, has the remote module you fitted corrupted the original LR programming leaving you with only the remote start option?

If you have a look here the issue of corrupted software is investigated and explained in this thread.
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic193991.html?highlight=Itguy
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #222708127th Apr 2021 2:32 pm
itguy

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Well worth having a watch of this.

Although they use the webasto timer/controller, the signals given to the FBH are the same and use the W-bus connection in the same way the remote control boards do.

As you can see, if the heater is running when the can-bus wakes up faults are logged, and (I think) if this happens 3 times in a row the webasto locks out, requiring unlocking by use of the webasto software / cable.

For info - the can-bus wakes up as soon as you unlock the car or open a door - nothing to do with the key in the ignition. When I use my FBH controller/remote connected to the w-bus, I make sure I switch it off first and let the FBH fully shut down before unlocking the car, otherwise I get faults logged. It takes about 2 mins for the FBH to complete it's shutdown/cooldown procedure, so I just set a timer on my watch for this to make sure I give it enough time.

Post #222708527th Apr 2021 2:50 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

So it's safe to assume that any or all remote modules fitted have the problem of either corrupting the Webasto programming, or causing faults being logged by the vehicle preventing auto start?

If so, I wonder how many members using aftermarket remotes are aware they need to shut down at least 2 minutes before going near the car. Or, that their FBH has already had the fuel type programming corrupted preventing auto start by the car?
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #222710427th Apr 2021 3:58 pm
itguy

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I think it is fair to surmise that any controller that activates the FBH via w-bus while the CAN bus connections are still connected (and then activated by the car) will log faults in the FBH.

These faults aren't serious really, they just confuse the CAN bus control in the FBH because it can't understand how it already running when the CAN hasn't told it to - so it is just doing the sensible thing and logging a fault saying that it can see the heater is hot/running when it has not been asked to (by CAN).

The corrupting issue is totally separate from everything I have seen and experienced. The particular controller I used where this happened was sending a 'clear faults' command via w-bus to the FBH every time it was used to send a 'start' command to it too. This is (in my view), (a) dangerous, as if the FBH has genuine faults it may not show up and (b) is problematic as different webasto FBH use different commands (and hex codes) to clear faults.

My best guess on this issue is that the controller I tried originally was set to clear faults on a different type of webasto FBH than the one in the D3, thus corrupting it. I got in to a very technical conversation with the designer of that controller and we both came to this conclusion.

Does that help?!

Post #222710827th Apr 2021 4:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 9 of 17 <123 ... 8910 ... 151617>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >