Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Understanding D3 key logic 2005 HSE 2.7TDVI auto
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ManxMike

Isle Of Man 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3
Understanding D3 key logic 2005 HSE 2.7TDVI auto

Hi folks I wonder if anyone can help me understand the logic associated with the ignition key. There seems to be something that locks the key in the ignition if you leave the car in N then disconnect the battery. Also I had a very strange issue today. I was going to adjust my rear brake shoes as my EPB is starting to become intermittently noisy. I put automatic selector into P. I followed the guide and put the EPB in service mode. I disconnected the battery to ensure the suspension would not adjust as I jacked up the rear. After my brief inspection of one side, I lowered the vehicle and reconnected the battery. The suspension lowered itself to normal level and EPB lamp flashed. I activated EPB and it came on with a screech. I put it off. All ok. I then tried to start the car, but key would not turn! I tried my other key, also would not turn. So I tried the hard reset - battery disconnected for 30 mins. Reconnected battery and tried again, no luck. Took the dog for a walk and when I came back it worked!!! My D3 is 2005 2.7TDVI 160k miles. It has been main dealer serviced. Can anyone explain what has been going on with the key? Thanks Mike
 Currently D3 2.7 TDV6 owner and restorer
Previously a D2 owner and series 2a before this 

Post #235928817th Jan 2024 10:41 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Key would not turn? Sure that not just the steering lock.

Personally I leave the battery connected.

Don’t you need the gearbox in n to rotate brakes?

Post #235929417th Jan 2024 11:35 pm
ManxMike

Good morning Pete
Thanks for the reply. As soon as I popped key in I got the “key in” warning and ignition switch would not turn as if it were locked. I tried turning and holding steering wheel to take any tension off the lock. Agreed I should have put car in N to rotate wheels, as was only able to get a bit of movement on the wheel. Needless to say I did not make much progress with the job of adjusting the EPB. I will try again at the weekend but will leave battery connected and pull the fuses.
Regards Mike

Post #235930618th Jan 2024 8:39 am
ManxMike

Hi Pete - I have resolved the key issue. It is a worn lock aggravated by the cold weather. I had a third spare key, which has slightly less wear than the other two it operates the lock every time. Anyway after discussing with a lock smith he is going to rebuild the lock for me next week as he suspects it is about to disintegrate and fixing a working lock is much easier than fixing a broken one. I had wrongly assumed that Landrover had some fancy lock inhibit system. It is amazing how these little issues can confuse you. Thanks again for your help. Regards Mike

Post #235944919th Jan 2024 8:52 pm
ManxMike

Just a quick update in case anyone has a similar problem. My lock was worn and required a little bit of jiggling to get it to work sometimes. Then in a spell of cold weather it refused to work at all with either my main or spare key. Eventually I got it to work by flooding it with spray PTFE Lube. I also found that a damaged key that I had seemed to work slightly better. I took the car to an auto locksmith and he advised that he can rebuild the barrel on a working lock for £100, relatively easily, so I have booked it in for next week. A non working lock is much more challenging. So if your ignition key is a bit worn change it as soon as it starts to give signs of wear and avoid being stranded. Regards Mike

Post #235965021st Jan 2024 10:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >