DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

VSR systems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
VSR systems

Hi

Currently have fitted a T max split charge battery system, however I’ve now had to replace 2 x relays which causes the leisure battery to drain , as it’s smaller than the main one

So wish to remove it and thinking of fitting a VSR relay , been looking at the following but can’t see the difference , unless it’s just the amperage rating , do u think the amps are suffice please and do u think it’s a better system to fit or maybe something else

Plus as I currently charge my main battery via my 12s socket is there a way I can wire it in such a way so it will charge my Aux battery as well please

https://simplysplitcharge.co.uk/index.php?...uct_id=276

https://simplysplitcharge.co.uk/Split-Char...uct_id=642

https://simplysplitcharge.co.uk/Split-Char...uct_id=644

alternator is 150 amps, Aux battery 75 amp and main one 100amps

have 2 x battery volt meter gauges inside the cabin so don’t need the T may display unit so can remove it

many thks

Post #224231118th Jul 2021 11:42 am
gstuart

Apologises but may I double check something , would the following relay be ok to fit plse

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/victron-cyr...-120a.html

With mine being a 2005 euro 3 I assume it hasn’t got a smart alternator fitted

Many thks

Post #224249019th Jul 2021 12:44 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I would think the Victron one is the way to go, it may also work with your 12s charging method

Post #224260220th Jul 2021 9:45 am
gstuart

Many thks, alas though didn’t realise at first it won’t work with smart alternator so that one is out

So been looking at some of the B2B ones, do like the victron but blimey some are very expensive

Or maybe a solid state relay

Post #224262020th Jul 2021 11:16 am
Duc750

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

so a VSR is pretty much the same as a split chagre relay wrapped up in a neater box with a fresh TLA

if you have a VSR and the voltage goes above the connect voltage then current will flow to both batteries problem is that if the batteries are different capacity/connectivity then it will charge netiher of them efficiently which is where dctodc charging comes in as that just uses your main battery as a pwoer source to run a multistage chagrer
so again if you apply a voltage to your 12n socket current will flow to both the main battery and the charger

the watch out is if your dcd to dc chrger is say a 30amp one it will invariably open up the charge cycle by going into a Bulk phase which will pull a load of current. maybe more than your chrage and 12N wiring can supply/cope with. some will allow you to limit the current they will open up the cycle at
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #224263920th Jul 2021 1:52 pm
Kelvo

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

This will do the job https://disco4.com/forum/sale-traxide-sc80...86962.html
 MY14 TDV6  
Post #224264020th Jul 2021 1:53 pm
Kelvo

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

gstuart wrote:
Many thks, alas though didn’t realise at first it won’t work with smart alternator so that one is out

So been looking at some of the B2B ones, do like the victron but blimey some are very expensive

Or maybe a solid state relay

Interesting fact, when Land Rover fitted a dual battery system to police/armoured/special vehicle build Discovery 4s they use a VSR.

The only time a DC-DC is required is if you are charging a lithium battery.
 MY14 TDV6  
Post #224264220th Jul 2021 1:56 pm
Duc750

But when landrover fitted dual battery systems they fitted them in pairs using the same size battery and chemistry

*Edit or at least they would argue comparable load on the auxiliary battery to the main.
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #224264320th Jul 2021 1:58 pm
gstuart

A million thks for the awesome details, indeed the main battery is 100 amps and leisure 75 amps

Many thks , no disrespect but would like to buy a new one

Ref the 12s, indeed wonder why it didn’t charge both batteries using the T max system, would be awesome if I fitted a B2B it did

Thks again for the very interesting data , very grateful

Currently looking at these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victron-Orion-T....l4275.c10

https://uk.renogy.com/12v-40a-dc-to-dc-on-board-battery-charger/

Plus if I remember rightly CTEK do some

Post #224266820th Jul 2021 5:48 pm
Duc750

The renogy one being 40amps will charge the battery much faster than the 18 amp one.
Personally I rather like Victron products but Sterling are also well worth a look
The Isolated Victron you could easily set to turn off with the ignition so you would not charge your leisure battery when plugging in the 12n socket - which in real terms is actually the best outcome.
It means your start battery would be charged properly by the charger every time and your leisure battery would be maintained whenever you start up

I have one of these

https://sterling-power.com/collections/bat...y-chargers more for the fact i could fit it anywhere under the bonnet with no fear of water splash or weather proofing - its a big Censored though

The Ctek unit is a similar price but I believe it also includes a solar MPPT input too
https://www.tayna.co.uk/battery-chargers/c...RjEALw_wcB

its a neat little unit and you don't need the smartpass as you don't want to be boosting your start battery off a leisure battery if you want to live to a decent age
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #224268920th Jul 2021 8:38 pm
gstuart

Bless u for the help , very grateful to u

U mention the 12n socket , didn’t realise I could use that as I’ve been using my 12s socket for charging

Currently only the main battery will charge so by the sounds of it that’s the best thing to do, did originally want to charge the leisure battery to charge as well but will leave that as it is then with just charging the main battery

Wondered that if the higher amp modules would charge quicker , many thks as that answers that

Like the idea of the CTEK with the MPPT as I want to later on fit a solar panel , reason being I sometimes don’t use the disco for 1-2 months , so having something like a 100 watt solar panel on the roof to keep the Main battery topped up would be perfect , also have a CTEK charger so thinking if it would be best then to keep all of it the same make so don’t get any compatibility issues between different units

Thank u with regards to the smart pass in not needing it , I wouldn’t have known that

Once again very grateful for the help with this , won’t get the units till around September time , will also look into the charging via the 12n socket

Just reading this and what set up I need , main battery is 100 A , Aux is 75 A

https://cdn.tayna.com/datasheets/D250SE-SMARTPASS120S.pdf

Bow down

Post #224272321st Jul 2021 8:37 am
gstuart

Assume I would set it up like this, would of course have to see what the max solar panel rating is

Post #224272421st Jul 2021 8:47 am
gstuart

Just found the max size for the solar panel, it’s 300w, just in case this is useful to someone else

Plus looking at the cut in arm cut out, so assume I need to set it for a smart alternator , just seems low when a battery should be kept at 12.6 Vdc

Also if anyone is also looking at this , tayna selling it £12.00 less on ebay inc free postage

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312726655255

Thks again

Click image to enlarge

Post #224273021st Jul 2021 9:14 am
Duc750

You have a D3 don't you ? In which case its a stupid alternator not a smart one

sorry I mean the grey one - i can never remember which is S or N Laughing All my vehicles are 13 pin now and have been for some time or 7 pin and Anderson for trailer power

The higher amp ones will charge faster for sure as they can deliver more current but you may not need that faster charge rate in truth - the current has to come from somewhere after all and you do have a finite output from the alternator.
Logically if you have a 75 aH battery do you regularly drain 30 amps out of it and need it back to fullish within 2-3 hours of driving you probably do need a 40 amp charger but if the usage is lighter or more irregular a lower current charger will do the job absolutely fine and leave more headroom for the alternator to charge the start battery and run the car electrics.
Having a big scary charger is great to charge your aux battery if you have a big scary main battery and a big scary alternator.
I've not looked on a diesel D3 but its amazing the current draw on an sdv6 just from having the ignition on - that will hit the start battery very hard
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #224273621st Jul 2021 9:48 am
gstuart

Hi

Bless u , ah apologises getting confused , thought the D3 had a smart alternator ,

No worries ref the S or N , just thought I had missed something , lol

I intend to fit a fridge so not very high usage , this is what CTEK said about the solar

We recommend you to install 50W to 300W solar panels with a open circuit voltage of max 23v (VOC). Check solar panel spec.

So will check what something like a 100w panel will produce with regards to voltage

Have an app that I can test the cranking voltage so will indeed be interesting to see what it is

Thks again for the awesome help, really am grateful to u Bow down

Post #224276321st Jul 2021 1:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >