Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Warranty Direct Servicing Criteria
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Warranty Direct Servicing Criteria

If you take out a warranty direct policy do you have to maintain a service history at a VAT registered garage? I use a guy that has serviced every incarnation of Land Rover since he was a lad (including lots of mine), he always stamps the book, but he isn't vat registered, so would that invalidate the policy?

If or when you make a claim how do warranty direct go about confirming the service history?

I'm researching the + and - of taking out one of these warranties. I have a feeling I might have fallen at the first hurdle, but I have used this guy for many years and think I would rather take my chances with him rather than the warranty.
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #117290015th Oct 2013 11:44 pm
Dave T

England 

It is normally VAT registered. Regardless of that, with a car of that age what level of warranty would you get, would it include wear and tear, I doubt it.

If it doesn't, what sort of failure could you have that they wouldn't class as wear and tear, not many I would have thought, I'm speaking from bitter experience here.........

With my D3 I went for the AA breakdown repair cover, included full relay cover and would give you up to £500 if you brokedown. Whilst it doesn't cover a huge amount, it also doesn't cost a great deal more than full AA cover either, unlike a WD or any other full warranty.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #117292916th Oct 2013 6:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

WD does cover wear & tear and yes it does need to be a VAT registered garage ISTR. You need to provide proof of sevicing at the time of claimng by supplying a copy of the invoice, stamp in the service book isn't accepted.

Post #117294116th Oct 2013 7:41 am
adeybambam

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

what he ^^^^^ said

Post #117297016th Oct 2013 9:06 am
Dave T

England 

DSL wrote:
WD does cover wear & tear

on evey policy? i would be surprised on a 2005 car
1994 Defender 90

2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #117304816th Oct 2013 12:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

on every policy...... when I claimed for the EGR had to send a load of stuff off including receipt from the servicing garage. it is written in their handbook. I have a 55 plate with 67 k on it and they have covered up to £66 an hour for indy rates and no betterment thrown in. costs me £570 I think a year ? next year they stop covering all suspension so I will probably dump the warranty at this stage unless i can negotiate this into the equation.
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #117305416th Oct 2013 12:31 pm
rasu52

England 

I used a non VAT registered garage for my partners BMW and explained to them when taking policy out and they were not bothered.

The garage provided an invoice to show what service had been carried out and stamped the service book.

The invoice for the service had to be shown when a claim was made and no problems on payout, but tell/ask them first.

Post #117306016th Oct 2013 12:40 pm
marcros

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

i presume that the VAT registration is to prove that it is a bona fida business, rather than a receipt knocked up on a pc by anybody.

A garage cant be that busy if it is supplying parts and labour (even my back street garage is £35 an hour labour) and not clearing the VAT threshold. I suppose a single mechanic in a workshop may just fall under.

Post #117306416th Oct 2013 12:45 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The repairing garage has to be VAT registered to make a warranty claim. The warranty Co will cover, for example, £500, and claim the VATable cost back
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #117307216th Oct 2013 12:53 pm
rasu52

England 

Sorry Disco-Mikey have to disagree as I said earlier I use WD for the BMW and the Discovery and the garage I use is on the main road in a village in Suffolk, BMW trained mechanic gone on his own and is not registered for VAT and WD have accepted his servicing and repair work as standard, but I did ask them first.

Now with the Discovery it is different as I am a VAT registered business I take responsibility for the VAT element so when I receive a check for the repairs it is less the VAT, which I can claim back.

Post #117308816th Oct 2013 1:15 pm
rasu52

England 

But that's not to say that WD have changed their ruling on what they will or won't accept.

Post #117309116th Oct 2013 1:16 pm
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Lots of people on here seem to have negotiated better warranty cover for older Discovery's and for the money they charge I would only consider one that has a decent level of cover. I have the AA cover, only £7 a month but I had a recent (and only) claim rejected so they're not in my good books at the moment.

There are many ways to avoid being a Tax collector for the government (sorry I mean VAT threshold) which we had better not go in to on a public forum Very Happy But this guy is lucky in the fact that he doesn't have to work full time. So for everybody that isn't VAT registered his prices are very competitive. And his quality of work excellent.

Reading the terms and conditions I understand any repair work has to be done by a VAT garage (although some peoples experiences seem to differ to this) I just wasn't sure the service history had to be.

If I can't get a decent level of cover I really think I'm better taking my chances with the AA as it all seems to be adding up to a rather large premium for very little piece of mind.

And on a completely different note, being a 'pooter numpty' how do you multi quote?
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #117313816th Oct 2013 3:07 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It would also be fair to say that if you get it serviced at a local independent and get your non-warranty work done there, then it might be seen as unreasonable to expect a warranty to fork out main dealer rates when you come to a claim. Check the terms of the agreement - they do reservere the right to move your car if they can fix it substantially cheaper elsewhere.

Read all the small print and take your chances - there are lots of things policies won't cover.

I'm a huge fan of Warranty Direct. They refurbished my autobox earlier in the year and Duckworths are currently replacing the engine which they are covering the cost of... and I've got 147K on the clock.

Perhaps at times they've been let down in the past by admin errors, and on a big claim it can take a little while to process, but they're genuinely good guys and pay fairly for a fair claim. Would highly recommend them.

John
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #117349317th Oct 2013 9:04 am
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #117349617th Oct 2013 9:23 am
Dave T

England 

"not safe to continue" is the criteria, so it does cover things like the suspension compressor, but yes you do have to call them out, but it is a lot cheaper.
1994 Defender 90

2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #117356717th Oct 2013 12:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >