Page 2 of 2 <12
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

With inflation the way it is it'll soon be a 20p. Banging Head

Post #107511920th Mar 2013 9:51 pm
maddogsetc

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Rolling with laughter still, at least I'm not in Cyprus! Risk being mugged if you're lucky enough to have an actual coin.

Post #107516520th Mar 2013 10:41 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Thumbs Up Laughing

Post #107516920th Mar 2013 10:43 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

maddogsetc wrote:
I appreciate that LR don't actually make the glass, like most items. But a LR OEM product will have been made to LR standards, whereas an aftermarket one is made to someone else's, which might be just as good, there again it might not. I just don't want to take that chance if I don't have to.

....just a note...my VW Golf had a non gen windscren fitted...major difference
& in my opinion very sub standard...its a company car so I havent got a lot of latitude to argue
but found its thinner...Gen VW Golf are thicker for noise insulation & its has somehow taken sccratches where the wipers track + after two years become pitted & this shows badly when driving into sun
Radically different than original & OEM ones.
Why dont the insurance companies insist on these original ones being fitted.....just as important as tyres
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #107526721st Mar 2013 8:14 am
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

What is a genuine part? The answer is anything that the vehicle manufacturer puts his stamp on. It is that simple.

As to the quality of the original, well as with Horse meat pies everything is made to a price. Many items used by northern Europe vehicle manufacturers come from China and there is nothing wrong with these parts because the quality of the part is specified and controlled. This thread mentioned Chinese brake pads but you will buy without question "genuine ones" without knowing the source, you buy them of course because you trust the manufacturer not to stitch you up. The reality is of course that your D3 has brake calipers made by TRW (who incidentally has an enormous factory in China and in many other countries) it has brake discs made by Brembo (they also have manufacturing facilities in China), the brake pads have a steel back plate specified by TRW and friction material by Ferodo. When the D3 was launched there were plenty of brake squeals that didn’t go away, sorted now of course but even the OE manufacturer gets it wrong sometimes.

I guess my point is, before I go off into a long and pointless rant, is buy what you are comfortable with. If it is OEM then you should be fine but if you are buying an aftermarket product go to someone who you trust and where you will get proper back up if you have a problem.

Just remember that a Vehicle Assembler is just that, they do not make parts and there are many good alternatives out there. Just think about your own business/trade you know that there are many things branded to suit a market!

and just for the record my windscreen was replaced by National Mobile, it cost me £200ish, as I didn't want to make an insurance claim and is fine, rain sensor, light sensor, heated bits all still work.

Steve

Post #107527521st Mar 2013 8:40 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Boringoldgit wrote:
.....What is a genuine part? The answer is anything that the vehicle manufacturer puts his stamp on. It is that simple.

& a part that isnt OEM isnt OEM..it may look the same...but would you trust safety related parts that arent kosher OEM?

Boringoldgit wrote:
....As to the quality of the original When the D3 was launched there were plenty of brake squeals that didn’t go away,

Ok...but the makers LR sorted it out..not individual owners & drivers...it called a w warranty & its there for a purpose.

Boringoldgit wrote:
....I guess my point is, before I go off into a long and pointless rant, is buy what you are comfortable with. If it is OEM then you should be fine but if you are buying an aftermarket product go to someone who you trust and where you will get proper back up if you have a problem.

If you are in the the postion of whether to or not "trust" none OEM parts you & you alone take the risk....can I mention safety related parts ?
..also you can rant away...others (including me) do this all the time on here...it does serve a purpose
Boringoldgit wrote:
....Just remember that a Vehicle Assembler is just that,

But fundamentally a vehicle maker designs, specifies & tests the parts & then builds the vehicle..its far more than just clipping or bolting them together.......if you think its just assembly you are WRONG

Boringoldgit wrote:
and just for the record my windscreen was replaced by National Mobile, it cost me £200ish, as I didn't want to make an insurance claim and is fine, rain sensor, light sensor, heated bits all still work......

Claims for glass usually don't go against your NCB...unless you have a wagon load......yes you pay an excess but it shouldnt affect your renewal premiums.....if you speak to the windscreen fitter you can ask if & what they are fitting....you can usually get OEM

I consider glass a safety related part
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #107529421st Mar 2013 9:17 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

mine done on Friday ...they just put the pilkington one on....no visual difference Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #107717124th Mar 2013 12:28 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It's more important they put the same spec in than the brand, i.e. heated.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #107717524th Mar 2013 12:41 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

A mate of mine is a windscreen fitter and has been for more than 20 years. They are not all the same quality. The heated elements in the non-OE screens are pretty poor according to him. They will often last during the garantee period of 12 months but deinately do not have the longevity of the OE ones. He says go for Pilkington every time. Thumbs Up

Post #108066830th Mar 2013 6:43 pm
Norfolkmud

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Doesn't look like you always get a replacement pilkington glass with national windscreens and admiral.
Am now the owner of a nord glass heated Windscreen... Anyone heard of them? Am worried that I am on the 366 day countdown to the heated element going out of warranty!

Post #10852008th Apr 2013 8:09 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Auto glass offer a lifetime ownership warranty on windscreens including heating elements, rain sensor etc.

I haven't seen a non Pilkington replacement as the quantities are so low it probably isn't worth it. I had a new one from Autoglass and it was identical with Optikool.

Post #10852078th Apr 2013 8:20 pm
maddogsetc

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Quote:
A mate of mine is a windscreen fitter and has been for more than 20 years. They are not all the same quality. The heated elements in the non-OE screens are pretty poor according to him. They will often last during the garantee period of 12 months but deinately do not have the longevity of the OE ones. He says go for Pilkington every time.

So sounds like my original concern was justified after all then. Luckily SWMBO's screen was deemed repairable, so the issue didn't arise for me.

Post #10852168th Apr 2013 8:36 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

I had an LR one fitted by Autoglass (insisted on it with insurance) - technician said they came with the A pillar clips - so not sure about non OE versions. I wanted an LR one as I assumed the sensors / elements would work as per the original

Post #10853979th Apr 2013 8:03 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

My non Land Rover branded one fitted by Autoglass came with complete new Land Rover A pillar trims rather than just clips. I think it depends on the technician, he ordered them as part of the job.

Post #10853989th Apr 2013 8:07 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Cant argue with that

Post #10854019th Apr 2013 8:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >