Changing Front Brake Pads
From DISCO4.COM Knowledge Base
- Axle stands
- Wheel brace
- 13mm spanner
- 15mm spanner
- 17mm spanner
- Brake cleaner
- Brake grease
- Piston retraction tool
- Securely jack the car onto axle stands and remove front wheels
- On the left hand side, use pliers to pull the pad wear sensor off the pad
- Remove the 13 mm bolts that hold the caliper to the caliper frame (use the 15mm spanner, rear, 17mm spanner front, to hold the sliding joints whilst you undo the caliper bolts)
- Discard the caliper bolts (new ones are in the kit)
- Lift off the caliper and support, take care not to strain the brake pipe and wires.
- Remove and discard the old pads. (Front and rear pads are different, Front has 2 piston system, rear has 1)
- Remove and discard the pad support springs (new ones in kit)
- Use piston compression tool to fully retract pistons into caliper - take care and push the pistons slowly and squarely. (use a small piece of wood cut to size to hold one of the two pistons in place, as one come out as you compress the other in).
- Clean the caliper with brake cleaner.
- Fit the new support springs to the caliper frame
- Smear a little brake grease onto the back of each pad, and a little onto the sliding surface that fits into the support spring
- Fit the pads into the support springs (rear pads are directional chamfer goes towards the ground, ie the leading edge of disk travel for forward motion)
- Replace brake wear sensor, refit origonal or tie back if you feel you do not need it if its still intact.
- Replace the caliper onto the frame and use the new bolts to secure.
- Refit road wheel
- Pump brake pedal to prime the system.
- Check level in brake fluid reservoir
- Carefully road test
NOTE: Disc rotors also wear over time. The dimensions and wear range for disc rotors (for cars with brakes that permit 17 inch wheels) are:
Front Disc Rotor Vented
Diameter, Height, Thickness, Min-Thickness mm, 317, 62.2, 30, 27
Rear Disc Rotor Vented
Diameter, Height, Thickness, Min-Thickness mm, 325, 59.6, 20, 17