Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

8HP transmission Oil change and new filter / sump review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stevebez

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
8HP transmission Oil change and new filter / sump review

So I had an issue with the Gearbox with erratic shifting, holding a gear too long, suddenly shifting and when using paddles throwing code (Clutches overheating).

I took the plunge and changed the Oil (ZF Lifeguard Fluid 8 - you will need around 5L @ ~£25/L off fleabay). I would not use different oil here and also note the 6Sp trans uses a different blend. I went the whole hog of swapping out the oil pan with embedded filter too. Now this is a non trivial job to get access to all the torx bolts to get the pan off but I've had worse and this took a while and was tedious but got it out and refitted new sump (OE). I would suggest if you doing the oil - not cheap - you may as well change the filter/sump too, its not that bad a job, and possibly a contributor to the problems I had.

The oil that came out was dark, and the filter looked pretty dirty. The magnets had nothing on it but very fine metal powder (presumably from regular wear and tear). My guess is oil was past its best and perhaps filter was getting a bit clogged up and pump could not keep the right pressures (purely guessing here). I didn't reset the driving adaptations either.

I primed the transmission as per the Robbie's guide (thanks Robbie) and completed the job yesterday. The one main difficulty was getting the trans oil cooler to fully actuate via the thermostat (need min 69deg C trans oil). It literally took hours. Anyhow all was done and was ready for test drive today.

All I can say car is transformed ... its day and night difference and highly recommend doing this if you feel trans is not operating at its best. Car has done 79k miles, 2012 D4 HSE SDV6.

Post #231818311th Dec 2022 3:58 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Regarding interval…. There are many opinions on the “when”. ZF recommends no later than every 100k km (62k miles) or every 8 years. It’s probably not an absolute value and depends of course what kind of driving the vehicle has been doing. Towing a lot means more strain on the box.

Glad to hear your vehicle is like new again Thumbs Up

Post #231818411th Dec 2022 4:14 pm
Kelvo

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

ZF recommend an oil change at 80,000-120,000Km (50,000-75,000 miles) or after eight years at the latest.
 MY14 TDV6  
Post #231824611th Dec 2022 11:34 pm
brodell

United States 

When you removed the filter and pan, did you have to remove the catalytic converter or cross member? I saw video online from Atlantic British mentioning this, but wondering if it only applies to the V8 engines.

Post #233142326th Mar 2023 9:03 pm
stevebez

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Not on the SDV6 D4. You will need to get inventive to get to some of the Torx bolts behind this member but can be done.

Post #233143126th Mar 2023 9:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >