Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Advice on Spots
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
StuRox

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Advice on Spots

Just about to fit my Nudge Bar, so looking for some driving Lights to mount on it.

Having measured it, looks like 8" would be the best size, so as not to look like 'peas on a drum' but just after to recommendations really.

Don't want to go silly with the price, ie Roo or Lightforce and spend £200.00 odd pound, but seen the Wipac ones for around £40-£50 and just wondered if anyone has these, or any other types people can suggest....

Cheers

Post #54030726th Oct 2009 2:32 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Quote:
Advice on Spots

not had a problem since i was a teen but they say clearasil and no chocolate does the trick Wink
 one wife.......livid  
Post #54040026th Oct 2009 5:50 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I assume that as you have the Xenons already, that your spots will be more for looks than brightness (Xenons are brighter & give more distance than most spots TBH) therefore it doesn't really matter which ones to go for in your price range as long as they're waterproof, fit and look 8)
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #54040326th Oct 2009 5:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Still on topic - just about. I am looking for some spots to go with the A Bar I bought at LRO Show. I have Xeon lights and I also have the wiring for the lights as mine has previously had them fitted. I believe the factory ones are 55w.

Do you have any suggestions for 7" spots that I can easily connect into the existing wiring. Again I am more after the look than really powerful lights, but it would be nice to have something bright without costing a fortune ie. No lightforce, No Land Rover lights and probably not Roo Lights either. I'd like to get something for around £60 ish? Tell me if that's unreasonable!
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #54041026th Oct 2009 6:09 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

sorry for the stupid answer,,, Embarassed

it's a monday... Wink
 one wife.......livid  
Post #54041426th Oct 2009 6:15 pm
POINTYED

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I got a pair o genuine landy spots that are not being used.
50/50 me and site donation
dunc Thumbs Up
 life is tooooo short.enjoy the moment.dont worry be happy

club BSS 

Post #54041926th Oct 2009 6:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had some Wipac ones on my Deafener “A” bar for a while but they eventually filled up with muddy water and were rendered useless because they had a drain hole next to the mounting bolt.

The point being; make sure if you’re going to mount lamps “upside-down”, make sure they either have reversible lamp units that can go either way round or they are properly sealed so that it doesn’t matter.

I’ve got a pair of PIAA 140’s on now, a bit smaller but far better quality than the Wipacs.
 Clive

Post #54042826th Oct 2009 6:37 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Advice on Spots

StuRox wrote:

Don't want to go silly with the price, ie Roo or Lightforce and spend £200.00 odd pound, but seen the Wipac ones for around £40-£50 and just wondered if anyone has these, or any other types people can suggest....

Being a miserly Scottish North Yorkshireman, I had exactly the same sentiments.
I got a set of 100 watt Brit Part 8" lights [with squared grill], but I did make some serious modifications to get them to fit and give the LR OEM look.

Click image to enlarge

If you're going ahead with it, pm me and I'll give you the adaptions you need to make.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #54047626th Oct 2009 8:02 pm
Stu

Looks cool Ron, might have to have a look at that.

Where did you get the letters from for your A bar. I've heard that Land Rover what £26 per word and I don't fancy paying £52 for there own name!
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #54048926th Oct 2009 8:12 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Tis True Stu, both have to be bought seperate, approx £35 if I can remember from TLO.

As for the Spots, I dont use them, yep they looked 8) , but are useless when you have Xenons TBH, hence mine are covered. IMHO its the one Mod I did and wished I had'nt

Got the covers from TLO, so now my lights are just a £100 trinket, never used and never uncovered Wink

Post #54049826th Oct 2009 8:19 pm
Stu

Definately up for some cheap lights then, something I can plug into my existing wiring preferably.

I might have to see what lettering I can get elsewhere, I'm sure the price from Nick will be good compared to other dealers, but I am thinking that £10 is about right for a few letters! Maybe flebay.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #54049926th Oct 2009 8:22 pm
MacLeod 313

TFC is your man TBH, he can source you some spots and a loom. Remembering they have to be seperately switched to stay on the right side of the law, none of this hardwire into existing lighting I am afraid Big Cry , thats what I was gonna do.

The A Bar lettering does finish off the bar itself, I do like that. You can always save money and take the lettering off the bonnet if you wanna, Not many will notice and saves the dosh Thumbs Up

Post #54050226th Oct 2009 8:27 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Just remember that whatever letters you buy will need to be exactly the right size for the LAND ROVER imprint in the A-bar that is moulded in, otherwise it will look seriously crap Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #54050326th Oct 2009 8:28 pm
MacLeod 313

My spots I believe were late D2 ones, came with D2 switches and part of the loom, virtually half the price of D3 spots and virtually the same.

Tis an option for you, same as the earlier D2 ones, Safari lights Thumbs Up

Post #54050526th Oct 2009 8:29 pm
Stu

Jason,

I've got the wiring already - my car has previously had spots, so I've got the Land Rover loom and button I just need some spots for the look and all will be good. No offence to Iain, but as I already have the wiring I am just looking for some cheap lights that look cool and will use my existing wiring, so I should be able to do all of that myself.

SJR - Definately agree on the letter issue - If I can't get them right then I won't bother and I'll leave it as it is.

StuRox - Sorry I seem to have Hi Jacked your thread, I think we're looking for the same thing though, so hopefully it's of use! Embarassed
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #54050626th Oct 2009 8:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >