Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Anybody taken the suspension compressor apart?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Steff1

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

troverman wrote:
franksfi,

The orange fault light can be so many things.

I have amber light and the compressor is running about 1 minute at every start up. I have found a leak related to the red fitting on the dryer. Do you think I need a new dryer, or could it be the spring on the exhaust valve that has become too weak?
Do you have the part number of the dryer you replaced? Cant find info when searching the web. Big Cry
 Land Rover - It Hurts So Good

2005 TDV6 HSE PP Java Black, 2009-
MTR, Prospeed Quest roof rack, OEM ladder, B.A.S FBH Controller 

Post #68527723rd Aug 2010 6:35 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Red fitting is connected tp the exhaust valve.
Try pressing in the red fitting and pulling out the tube. Check the end for damage. If ok push back in as far as you can. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #68540623rd Aug 2010 10:56 pm
Steff1

The red thing seemed to be popped out a bit from the dryer. I was not able to press it further in using a screwdriver.
So it is safe to separate the black tube from the red ring? Just a pull out - press in - procedure? No adhessives needed? Is it safe to do it after the compressor has stopped running and the leak has ceased to a minimum?

Post #68545524th Aug 2010 8:46 am
caverD3

There is a lot of pressure in the system (up to 240 psi) so be careful. The red fitting is a quick connect so you need to push the red ring in to release the air line. It may not release if there is pressure in the system. Leave it as long as poss to let the pressure out. The dryer decicant may be saturated check for signs of corrosion at the other end of the dryer. If you find any then replace. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #68545724th Aug 2010 8:56 am
Steff1

This is why I ask. Arrow

caverD3 wrote:

The fittings are part of the dryer unit so I don't think you will be able to replace on their own.
Worst case looks like it may be just a new dryer, cheaper than a new compressor. Very Happy

As you wrote earlier the blue line is the high pressure going from the compressor to the dryer. Bow down

And the red one the direction of flow is going from the dryer to the exhaust valve on the compressor? The excess air is discharged through the red line? If so it means that, at least in theory, the the red "plug" could be contaminated/partially blocked by deciccants and particles due to corrosion.
I haven't taken out the compressor and dryer yet, but it seems not to be any leaks in the area where the dryer is directly connected to the compressor engine.

Post #68546224th Aug 2010 9:09 am
caverD3

Sorry if I said the blue one is the from dryer to compressor. Embarassed
The blue is the main high pressure line from the dryer to the system.
The red is the line to the exhaust valve from the system side of the dryer.
The dryer connects to the compressor via bayinet fitting with an 'O' ring. This is where they tend to leak if the desicant gets soggy.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #68547324th Aug 2010 9:46 am
Steff1

GTR says that in case of amber warning light and no leaks found, the fix is to replace the exhaust valve and spring.
That's probably not the case here since I actually have a leak from the dryer. But the cause of the leak is yet unknown. Most probably it is the dryer itself and/or the connections.

Before I advance to more radical investigations, I'll first try to push the red ring further into the dryer, and MAYBE pull out the black tube Shocked

Post #68548624th Aug 2010 10:21 am
Steff1

Today the dryer exploded!! Shocked Big Cry

It happened during jacking up the front(No, I didnt jack on the air tank). Suddenly I heared a BANG! follow by A LOT of air blowing out on the ground under the compressor. The car lowered quickly to access hight.

When I removed the cover under the compressor, hundreds of deciccants where spread in the bottom of the cover along with three filters. The dryer was divided into two halfs at the level of the "neck" close to the compressor. The deciccants where dry and locked normal. No signs of water or corrosion inside the dryer.

The garage will lock at it next week. Obviously I need a new dryer but its important to check the compressor for damage.
I have disabled the compressor by removing the no. 3 fuse to avoid the compressor aspirating humid air.

Any idea of how this could happen?

Post #6893864th Sep 2010 7:53 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Lowered quickly you say!

Your experience with the 3 lowering quickly is both disturbing and something to learn from. In short, mechanical failure within the compressor resulted in the air springs deflating and the 3 dropping.

In theory, when the 3 is off, the valve blocks are de-energized and hence closed so air should not release. In reality, due to the wakeup self leveling programme within the air system CPU, the 3 can drop while you sleep or worse, while you are working on it.

In your situation, it however sounds like some wakeup signal may have resulted from the air system tank venting to zero pressure, (tank piping is common with the air dryer), and that told the air springs to deflate as well. This signal may have been awakened by the jacking action making the 3 correctly realize it was out of level.

If so, about the only sure way I know to stop the computer from sending these sort of undesireable messages is to disconnect the battery; hence the valve blocks cannot be energized and told to release air from the airsprings.

I admit being scared of the air system. When I change all four wheels, (say to winter tyres), I routinely disconnect the battery as I have seen the system vent and lower seemingly without warning when jacking, (and that is without the excitement of the air compressor blowing up).
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #6902037th Sep 2010 12:49 am
Steff1

Interesting reading Thumbs Up

But isn't it sufficient to pull out the suspension fuse no. 3?

Since the explotion the car has been at the access hight constantly(or maybe even lower), appearantly because there is no pressure within the system. The car is very uncomfy to drive. Can I make any harm to the car driving it in this condition?

The car is an early MY2005. The TSB SB0034-SB0036 "Enhancement Programme" applies to the VIN number of my car, but it seems like those upgrades aren't performed. It includes an important upgrade of the compressor, either by exchanging the entire compressor or only the delivery valve and its returning spreing, depending on the compressor part number.
I is reasonable to assume that the dryer has exploded due to lack of this upgrade.

Post #6904587th Sep 2010 6:27 pm
caverD3

Steff1 wrote:
The car is an early MY2005. The TSB SB0034-SB0036 "Enhancement Programme" applies to the VIN number of my car, but it seems like those upgrades aren't performed. It includes an important upgrade of the compressor, either by exchanging the entire compressor or only the delivery valve and its returning spreing, depending on the compressor part number.
I is reasonable to assume that the dryer has exploded due to lack of this upgrade.

Probably not related. Compressors are failing on some early builds anyway.

Dryers usually leak rather than explode. The decicant breaks down and forms a fine powder ( coming off the surface so balls remain round, just smaller) which chokes the filter and since it produces 240psi something is going to give. Shocked

I would drive it as little as poss till you get a new dryer.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #6906208th Sep 2010 1:47 am
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Fuse 3E, Fuse 26E and F35P power the Air Suspension ECU

I am not certain the pulling fuse 3, (5 amp), in the engine compartment fuse box actually does kill signals between the air suspension Electronic Control Unit and the air pump. Pulling both F3E and fuse 26, (20 amp), in the engine compartment fuse box probably will depower the ECU when the vehicle is off. A third fuse, F35P in the passenger compartment fuse box behind the lower glove box is alive when the ignition is on so when the key is removed, the F35 power feed to the ECU is dead; this is in part why there is also the F3E and F26E fuses, to feed the after hours auto level memory actions.

It is because I am uncertain of just what really is going on that I tend to disconnect the battery - then I know that the ECU is depowered. I also still use axle jacks under the frame as there is only one me.

As I expect that there is no air in your air springs, I would say that your 3 is lower than entry height and that the vehicle is now sitting on the rubber axle stops, hence you do not really have any suspension at all. At slow speeds, I doubt you are doing any real damage, (other than to yourself), however the sooner you get air in the bags, the better.

If you go into my Gallery, and call up the section titled FASKIT Air Suspension, you will find some pdfs and files related to the air system layout - block diagrams and the like showing the valve blocks and air lines. (You will see how the air dryer is connected to the air tank.) Also there is another section titled Air Suspension Compressor that has some pictures of the inside of my previous air compressor - shows internal damage etc, but the air dryer is OK. The section labelled F35P Bypass also has some air suspension related data. There is also some information regarding the Voss air line connectors in the FASKIT section.

I agree with the Caver3 post - the upgrade of lack of it re the old compressor, (like mine), had nothing to do with the air dryer explosion - just old age I would say. By old age, if you got five years out of the original compressor, you did well - well that is how I viewed paying for my new one.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #6906238th Sep 2010 2:51 am
Steff1

You've right caverD3, some of the deciccants where smaller than the other, and I found white powder there as well.
Okey, so the dryer died a horrible death due to internal suffocation. I'll pay for that one, but the "Enhancement Programme" incl. compressor upgrade should be done without any extra cost, don't you think?

Post #6906698th Sep 2010 11:08 am
caverD3

Should have been done a long time ago. It should be in the service history. It involved stripping the old software and installing new.
Compressor was not necessarlily replaced usually just a valve.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #6906718th Sep 2010 11:20 am
Steff1

It is not mentioned in the service history of my car. The TSB expired in 2008. The car is over 5 years old now and no warrenty, but i have required the garage to perform these TSB upgrades anyway without extra costs as part of the 120´km service in 2 weeks.

Post #6909228th Sep 2010 10:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >