Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Anybody taken the suspension compressor apart?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
troverman

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Anybody taken the suspension compressor apart?

Was just informed by the dealer we have 'an internal leak' on our compressor, causing the fault messages. There is a back order on these compressors for about 2 weeks we are told, and the cost will be $1000 US. The tech mentioned something about a repair kit.

I have read the common cause for the internal leak is a sticking exhaust valve due to a weak spring. Has anyone taken the compressor apart? Is this spring replaceable / repairable? When you take the compressor apart is it immediately obvious where this exhaust valve is?

Obviously you have to release the air pressure in the system first. I have read there is a plug in the air reservoir that can be removed. Is this the correct method for the home mechanic? I would think the vehicle would have to be fully supported or it would lower to the point where you couldn't get the compressor in / out.

Finally, if I was able to repair the compressor, does the system require its electronics to be reset by the dealer, or will it just start working properly?

Thanks!
 Current Rovers:
2005 LR3 V8 SE
1992 Range Rover County
1997 Range Rover 4.0SE

Previous Rovers:
2000 Discovery II SD
1995 Range Rover 4.0SE
1992 Range Rover County

Also Current:
2012 Volkswagen GTI 2.0 TSI
1995 Mercedes-Benz E320
1999 Audi A8 4.2 quattro 

Post #48180815th Jun 2009 3:45 pm
troverman

bump.

Nobody really has done this?

Is there a schematic listed in GTR? If so could somebody copy it to me?
 Current Rovers:
2005 LR3 V8 SE
1992 Range Rover County
1997 Range Rover 4.0SE

Previous Rovers:
2000 Discovery II SD
1995 Range Rover 4.0SE
1992 Range Rover County

Also Current:
1995 Mercedes-Benz E320
1999 Audi A8 4.2 quattro 

Post #48240716th Jun 2009 4:07 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Pm me an email and i will forward you all the bumf .

The compressor will need to be charged back up with air afterwards before the car will take over .
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #48242316th Jun 2009 4:27 pm
matt_tdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

wiggs wrote:
Pm me an email and i will forward you all the bumf .

The compressor will need to be charged back up with air afterwards before the car will take over .

Tell me about it Laughing

Post #48243816th Jun 2009 4:46 pm
troverman

By saying "charged back up" do you mean filling the reservoir tank with air from an external compressor? Can this be done?
 Current Rovers:
2005 LR3 V8 SE
1992 Range Rover County
1997 Range Rover 4.0SE

Previous Rovers:
2000 Discovery II SD
1995 Range Rover 4.0SE
1992 Range Rover County

Also Current:
1995 Mercedes-Benz E320
1999 Audi A8 4.2 quattro 

Post #48243916th Jun 2009 4:48 pm
wiggs

Yes ..refilling the air tank .

Not sure ..never tryed . I have a faultmate diagnostics box which lets me start the compressor up ( with or without the engine running ) .

I think the problem is once you let the air out , the car drops on the bump stops . This is then seen by the car as out of range and turns off the air suspention ecu to protect it .

I just refill the compressor and lift the car so it is seen by the height sensors .
Post #48244116th Jun 2009 4:55 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Wiggs, possible stupid question here, but if the car was jacked up so the wheels were not at the bump stops but were hanging instead, would that do the trick too? It might save someone from having to manually fill the reservoir...
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #48247416th Jun 2009 5:58 pm
wiggs

No ..i have tryed on mine . It needs air putting back in it . It happened to me and that was the only way i could get it back so the car would then take over .

Car looked rather silly with a block under the towbar and a jack under the front cross member Laughing could of done with an extra trolly jack
Post #48247916th Jun 2009 6:06 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I've emptied out all four corners of the suspension via the front and rear valve blocks. I did this one at a time but did raise it back through all height settings each time.The car returned to normal.I did it by releasing the air via the front & rear valve blocks which are easy enough to get at.I presume the reason I didnt have to have it reset was because the reservoir still filled at each stage so therefore the OP above wouldn't be any better off by doing it this way?.If I had dropped all four corners It would be a different story?

OT - what is the correct terminolical size and reference for the male fitting that screws into the top of the airbags/springs and also into the suspension valve blocks ?.I want to make up a line so I can inflate the airsprings individually on or off the car.

Post #48252516th Jun 2009 8:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
troverman

So I got under the car and took the compressor cover off. I started it up so the compressor was running. From under the car, quite a bit of air is blowing on my face from the compressor! As soon as the compressor switches off the amber fault light comes on. You can still feel a smaller volume of air coming out from somewhere right near the compressor after it stops running, but after 30 seconds or so that stops completely.

It can't be normal to have air blowing out when the pump is running, correct? I'm thinking I either have a leak in a fitting or line right near the compressor, OR the exhuast valve is leaking, causing air to come right out the exhaust tube whenever the compressor is running.

It was quite a good volume of air coming out when the pump was running...and yet I was able to get the car to rise to full off-road height, if not a little slow and jerky and triggering a fault...
 Current Rovers:
2005 LR3 V8 SE
1992 Range Rover County
1997 Range Rover 4.0SE

Previous Rovers:
2000 Discovery II SD
1995 Range Rover 4.0SE
1992 Range Rover County

Also Current:
1995 Mercedes-Benz E320
1999 Audi A8 4.2 quattro 

Post #48288617th Jun 2009 1:21 pm
stapldm

Thanks Wiggs, that's a shame - so I guess without some technical kit it's a case of running the compressor manually to refill the reservoir. ISTR that someone here had a failed relay that caused the compressor to run non stop; do you think you just put in a link into that relay socket to run the compressor for a few minutes with the car active until it all sorted itself out? As someone who has the kit to recover from a problem, is it something you could test?

I'm not in a position that I need this info now, it just seems that being able to restart the air suspension after a repair in the field without needing to cart round a grands worth of kit would be useful to everyone.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Post #48289117th Jun 2009 1:32 pm
wiggs

Yep i can test that . (when it stops raining ) .

You can take the compressor cover off and disconnect the 2 pin plug (fattest leads - redish and black lead ) and put 12v straight on there ..that will fire up the compressor.

Be warned the compressor gets hot very quick . In the faultmate its set to run the compressor for a max of 1 minute each time ( it also displays the temp so you know whats safe) . From cold a couple of mins would be fine . That would proberly be enough to get the car to see it .

The battery must be good for the compressor to work . If its very low , it just dosent bother trying to start the compressor.

The fuse trick would obviously easier than taking the compressor cover off ..but at least you know it can be done .

Thumbs Up
Post #48290317th Jun 2009 1:42 pm
wiggs

troverman

Get some soapy water and a paint brush ...dab it all round the air connections and if there is an air leak you will see little bubbles comming out .
Post #48290717th Jun 2009 1:45 pm
stapldm

wiggs wrote:
Yep i can test that . (when it stops raining )
Thumbs Up Thanks wiggs!

Discowex, I think the connector type is called Voss; can't put my finger on the sizes at the moment...

Edit : Winger mentioned the part number for a repair connector in this post; that should give the sizes?

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2948.html#2948
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #48303317th Jun 2009 4:58 pm
wiggs

stapldm wrote:
Thanks Wiggs, that's a shame - so I guess without some technical kit it's a case of running the compressor manually to refill the reservoir. ISTR that someone here had a failed relay that caused the compressor to run non stop; do you think you just put in a link into that relay socket to run the compressor for a few minutes with the car active until it all sorted itself out? As someone who has the kit to recover from a problem, is it something you could test?

I'm not in a position that I need this info now, it just seems that being able to restart the air suspension after a repair in the field without needing to cart round a grands worth of kit would be useful to everyone.

I can confirm this does work . So if you need to test the compressor ..heres how

Find relay 7 in the engine bay fuse / relay compartment

Remove relay 7 (pair of plyers is best )

Pop a piece of wire between these 2 terminals ( fairly thickish piece )

Compressor will fire . You do not need the engine on for this ( or the key in the ignition )

Be warned the compressor gets hot very quickly . Just use it for a minute of so at a time allowing for it to cool inbetween . If your only testing the compressor then it wont be on for long
Post #48873229th Jun 2009 7:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >