Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Anyone gone for independent switching of the fog lights?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ChemicalJasper

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Anyone gone for independent switching of the fog lights?

Just wondering if anyone has rewired thier fog lights so that they can switch them on and off independantly?

I hate the fact that you cannot switch the rear fogs on without switching the front ones on and neither of them without coming out of 'auto' mode on the lighting. I was wondering if anyone had come up with an elegant solution to the problem, with a couple of extra switches?

Yawn Yawn my understanding of the vehicle lighting regulations are that fog lights should be turned off when you can see the other vehicle so as not to dazzle them - how can this achieved on a two stage switch without leaving the rear end unlit? Yawn Yawn
 Don't worry..... it only seems Kinky the first time you do it!  
Post #38661411th Dec 2008 2:13 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Simple answer is that if conditions are bad enough to warrant rear fog lights being used then the fronts should be on already. The fronts are allowed to be on, on their own because they don't dazzle as badly as the rear's and that's down to the fronts normally only dazzling on coming drivers for a short period where the poor sod driving behind someone with rear fog lights may have no choice but to stay behind for miles on end due to poor conditions or road type. It also comes down to the fact the RED is the most penetrating colour in all weather conditions, especially fog - that's why Police and Emergency services as well as AA/RAC started using a combination of Red & Blue or Amber some years back.

Personal I wish Mr Plod was a hell of alot more stict on people driving with Fog lights (especially rear one) when it ain't Censored foggy - sorry for the rant, but it's one of my pet hates, along with middle lane hogs Twisted Evil .
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #38662411th Dec 2008 2:24 pm
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Add to the list the Censored s with only one working headlamp, and no sidelights.
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #38666711th Dec 2008 3:39 pm
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

A couple of extracts from the Highway Code:

226-237: Driving in adverse weather conditions

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]

...///...

Fog
Before entering fog check your mirrors then slow down. If the word ‘Fog’ is shown on a roadside signal but the road is clear, be prepared for a bank of fog or drifting patchy fog ahead. Even if it seems to be clearing, you can suddenly find yourself in thick fog.

When driving in fog you should

use your lights as required (see Rule 226)
keep a safe distance behind the vehicle in front. Rear lights can give a false sense of security
be able to pull up well within the distance you can see clearly. This is particularly important on motorways and dual carriageways, as vehicles are travelling faster
use your windscreen wipers and demisters
beware of other drivers not using headlights
not accelerate to get away from a vehicle which is too close behind you
check your mirrors before you slow down. Then use your brakes so that your brake lights warn drivers behind you that you are slowing down
stop in the correct position at a junction with limited visibility and listen for traffic. When you are sure it is safe to emerge, do so positively and do not hesitate in a position that puts you directly in the path of approaching vehicles
You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]

Th Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations say that fog lamps should not be used so as to dazzle other road users. They do not specifically state anything about turning them off when being followed or following. They do say loots about only using them when the visiblity is very poor, which is defined as visibility of 100m or less.
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #38668811th Dec 2008 4:01 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

You're busy at the moment that Rob Laughing

robsmith wrote:
Add to the list the Censored s with only one working headlamp, and no sidelights.

Yup agree with that, and the twonks that think they don't need lights because it's still light somewhere
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #38669811th Dec 2008 4:14 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I must say, I do 40,000 miles a year and have done for the last 10 years. I cant remember the last time visibility was so bad i had use rear or front fog lamps. the standard of lights on modern cars (front and rear) is so good now that you can see the rear of vehicles a good distance away. and providing you are driving at a speed that is suitable for the conditions. IMO, when following cars with fog lights on, especially in wet conditions Rolling Eyes its often very difficult to make out the brake lights.

I think rear fog lights are over used and in the wrong/inappropriate conditions.

I often feel like commisioning Wiggs to rig up some kind of bonnet mounted laser device so i can shoot out the fog lights of cars i am following Whistle
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #38670111th Dec 2008 4:22 pm
Renny

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

Dunc, you may want to check your front fog lights work see http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic27135.html

Actually, if you have got a chaffed loom, that will cure the problem of not being able to switch the rears on without the fronts Whistle Laughing
 Renny Thomson
aka Scottish Scrutineer or MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer 

Post #38681111th Dec 2008 7:31 pm
ChemicalJasper

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Rob thanks for that Bow down ..........though one way of interpreting,

"Fog lights should not be used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road."

could be interpreted as turning them off Whistle , especially when being followed, as I can't think when it was last foggy enough, that I was not dazzled when following a vehicle with its rear fogs on. Especially as has been mentioned, they tend to mask the break lights, especially cars with the fogs in both rear light clusters.

Anyway, as interesting as this is, it does not help me illeagaly flash my rear fog lights at Censored Censored driving up my chuff, without also flashing the person in front! Whistle

Embarassed Also sorry to the moderators, I have just realised I have probably started this thread in the wrong section - sorry Embarassed
 Don't worry..... it only seems Kinky the first time you do it!  
Post #38682411th Dec 2008 7:59 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

MrH wrote:
- sorry for the rant, but it's one of my pet hates, along with middle lane hogs Twisted Evil .

totally agree the vehicles that have front fogs lit with sidelights in normal conditions "just 'cos it looks cool" really bug me.....some areas Police will stop & give you a ticket for doing this (RUC/PSNI)...I applaud the fact they do this
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #38682911th Dec 2008 8:08 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Misuse of front fog lights is a major pet hate of mine.

Riding a motorbike with raindrops or even slight scratches on the visor, front fogs can really dazzle you.

I can't believe how many drivers keep their front fogs on all the time. Not just boy racers either, plenty of old folks have adopted the "Doesn't my car look as if it's a Le Mans racer" style.

As for using rear fogs in heavy rain, don't get me started Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Post #38683011th Dec 2008 8:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >