Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Africa

Back from Botswana
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Yes - I find the frequent hydrating normally associated with AFD seems to promote rapid regrowth Mr. Green

Post #2101821st Oct 2007 1:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AP Moller

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Stripped front Camber Bolts and Noises

Baben and everyone else,
I recently had two front Camber Bolts removed and replaced on wheel alignment. These bolts were stripped and apparently not properly fitted (according to the alignment centre) as they were loose on the bolthead side. During alignment the bolthead side is usually not touched, I'm told. I had a little wear on both inside front tyres at about 24000km.

I had been in very thick sand (Khaudum) and when at speeds of 35/40 in the tracks heard chafing or grinding type noises from the front when making (sharp) adjustments to stay in the ruts/ tracks and to avoid sidewall punctures from protruding sticks/ stumps left upon recovery of lesser vehicles in the tracks. I do not know if there is a connection between the bolts and the noise.

Any record of stripped camber bolts? Anyone? What was the issue with the gent in CT? CV problem?

Baben wrote:
Quote:
From what I have heard there has been one issue when the gent in CT was driving in deep sand and turning quite sharply. I think it comes down to understanding what the limitations of the vehicle are.
If you are travelling in a straight line I don't imagine there would be much difference between the stresses on the drivetrain at 50km/h and 80km/h.
If you are exerting huge torque at sharp angles, ie when in deep sand or mud, turning very sharply, I think there is a real chance of damage, but you wouldn't be doing that at 80km/h anyway

Post #2102001st Oct 2007 2:21 pm
Richard SA

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Atacama wrote:
Richard

Did LR do your wheel alignment ?

No TWT did it LR Sandton confirmed they have the correct settings
 White LR3 TDV6 2007  
Post #2102691st Oct 2007 4:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi AP

I haven't heard of stripped camber bolts before. Maybe they were substandard to begin with, or on your previous alignment you had a gorilla doing the job?

The case of the broken CV joint was a gent in Cape Town. I have tried a search, but can't seem to find it.

Post #2102941st Oct 2007 6:23 pm
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Indications are that it was the cv boot of my D3 that tore/cracked. I suppose that could happen to any vehicle, say hitting a branch/root, and not necessarily be a function of the ride height.

Post #2104432nd Oct 2007 4:40 am
Atacama

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Richard

The reason i asked is that i was at LR dealer once and there was a D3 that had to have its alignment done. They had not locked the suspention ( via computer) before hand and the job had to get done again. Apparently it does affect the settings. Maybe look into it if it was not done.

Post #2104522nd Oct 2007 6:53 am
Baben

Rob - those CV boots always worry me too. I imagine if you are at max height they might be more exposed to branches & roots because of the available angle of attack?

You just have to check them every day in the bush, although what you would do if they tore I don't know. Once there is water or sand in there you would be Censored 'ed. Maybe that magic ducktape would work Confused

Atacama - I have been informed by LR Midrand and Windhoek that you MUST have the suspension put into "locked" mode by a dealer prior to setting the alignment, otherwise it will be all cocked-up. Most dealers should have the facility to set your alignment now too. Midrand offer this as an extra at every service nowadays. I watched them do the job when I got my D3 back from the panelbeaters. ('cos of course the Censored panelbeaters had sent it for alignment without bothering to have the system locked, and it was all over the road)

It makes sense. A lot of modern vehicles have similar funnies. I had tyres changes on my M3 once and the kind tyre dealer threw in a free alignment for me. The car felt like the rear was trying to overtake the front all the time, despite them setting everything 100% according to the system. They didn't have the right weights to put in the car, and thought it wouldn't matter very much Banging Head. So it was off to BMW for an alignment that cost the earth, and would not have been necessary otherwise.

IMHO the same applies to the D3 - this sucker is so complex in the suspension area that I doubt many tyre fitment centres would be able to do the job right, and most of them don't know about the requirement for "locked" mode either.

I know a couple of folks have expressed their dissatisfaction at LR dealer alignments in the past, but I think that this is the best option, 'cos at least if something goes wrong you won't be into a finger-pointing competition between the dealer and the tyre centre.

My 2c worth.
Off the pedestal now, Censored head

Last edited by Baben on 2nd Oct 2007 7:15 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2104552nd Oct 2007 7:08 am
heine

According to LR Midrand there is some setting that gets done via the test book prior to doing the wheel alignment - and reset again afterwards

Post #2104572nd Oct 2007 7:11 am
heine

Uhhmm sorry didn't see Baben's post Embarassed

Post #2104582nd Oct 2007 7:13 am
Baben

Heine you brought up a point I forgot to mention, ie. that you have to return to the dealer to have the vehicle taken out of "locked" mode again if you had the alignment done elsewhere

Post #2104612nd Oct 2007 7:24 am
heine

Dig the reg - wonder if Alice is taken Shocked

Post #2104632nd Oct 2007 7:34 am
IanD

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

heine wrote:
I thought my days of millions of fines through the mail were over

I couldn't believe having received six "admin fees" from Avis when we were there last year! I remember one camera on the outskirts of Cape Town, but the others???!!! You seem to be hotter on speeding in SA than over here!

Post #2120615th Oct 2007 11:57 am
heine

Some are diguised as trees , rubbish bins , hidden on passovers above you etc . Seems to be a good money spinner for the gubberment Laughing

Post #2120725th Oct 2007 12:39 pm
IanD

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Ah, not like the UK then where you have to be warned that they are there, then they have to be painted bright yellow so that you can see them!

(actually I don't think that's the case any more, but I don't think they can be disguised! There's a huge box one on the side of a road in Geneva that's painted in urban camoflage / friesian cow colours. Hasn't had an instrument in it for years, but I suppose it's been left as a deterrent (if you see it!)

I'll pay more attention to bins when I'm next in SA then!

Post #2120795th Oct 2007 12:52 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

Yes, the regs have now changed in the UK Big Cry Big Cry

"Up until April 2007 all speed cameras in the UK had to have the rear pannel painted yellow to identify the whereabouts of it, however, since the new rules came into play in April 2007, it ceases to be an obligation and it remains to be seen whether the yellow cameras will start to become less visible, in an attempt to catch out more speeding motorists."

Post #2124055th Oct 2007 10:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >