Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Best Recovery Items to Have??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
jkp

Scotland 
Best Recovery Items to Have??

I'm looking for a bit of guidance folks. I've been through the search facility and there is a lot of good info on here, but can someone summarise the best general kit to have in the back of the D3.

I was looking at this as a possible single buy and hopefully have all the right bits. Any thoughts?

What do you have in the way of recovery gear and where is the best place to get it on line? I don't know of any outlets near me where I could just go along and buy of the shelf so on-line would be best for me.

Thanks, John

Post #4943122nd Mar 2006 8:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Discokjp, the kit you linked to would really only be relevant if you had a winch on your vehicle. Assuming you aren't winch equiped, the key recovery items I would suggest for any offroading trip is as follows :

A good strong recovery rope or strap, at least 4 metres long, but longer is better and rated to 4 tonnes or more. If it is equipped with hooks at each end and these hooks are the right size to fit the front and rear recovery points on the D3 then all the better.

If you are planning on potentially getting stuck in deep mud, a KERR rope is not a bad idea (a kinetic energy recovery rope) but they need to be treated with great respect as if used incorrectly a lot of damage to man and metal can result.

A good jack (a decent bottle jack with a long action and a strong wooden platform will suffice).

A strong spade or spit

A bow saw and possibly a machete or similar for cutting up errant tree branches, roots and assorted other harmful vegetation.

Oh and some decent gloves and steel toe capped boots....

If you aren't offroading, I would settle for the strong tow rope, a good torch and in winter, a spade.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #4943622nd Mar 2006 9:11 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Recovery

If you look in the yellow pages under Lifting gear you may find something near home that sells 3 ton shackle's and webbing straps a lot cheaper must be tested or certified Smile
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #4944922nd Mar 2006 9:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Guy

United Kingdom 

Smarticus wrote:

A good strong recovery rope or strap, at least 4 metres long, but longer is better and rated to 4 tonnes or more. If it is equipped with hooks at each end and these hooks are the right size to fit the front and rear recovery points on the D3 then all the better.

Even with the hooks, a good 4 or 5 tonne bow shackle (or two) are handy...

Post #4945022nd Mar 2006 9:59 pm
jkp

Scotland 

Thanks for that chaps. A quick search in Yell.co.uk has turned up the goods. I'm off to spend a couple of quid tomorrow.

Heavy snow forecast for our area tomorrow night, so I may get to use it in anger. Either that or the Police will arrest me for stalking rear wheel drive cars along country lane.

"Honest officer, I was waiting for him to slide into the field so I could recover him Very Happy "

Post #4945522nd Mar 2006 10:09 pm
Pelyma

England 

4 ton is a very light rope or strap. Straps are usually rated, ropes usually aren't. I have 2 12 ton straps, 4 ton shackles for them, a spade, jack, gloves and loppers. I would avoid kinetic ropes like the plague unless you have been trained in using them properly.

Probably just as important is to get training for the use of the above. Also buy the best quality you can afford. I bought black rat stuff from Brooklyn 4x4.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #4948822nd Mar 2006 11:23 pm
SN

Useful info chaps - so how much would I pay for one of these straps then?
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4956223rd Mar 2006 11:48 am
Very Annoyed

England 

A RRS is very useful! Very Happy
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #4956323rd Mar 2006 11:51 am
Pelyma

England 

These are the things I use, you can get cheaper, but having read lots of reviews it seemed to be good quality gear.

http://www.4x4partsmaster.com/shop.asp?PC_...sec_id=245
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #4958823rd Mar 2006 2:36 pm
jkp

Scotland 

Very annoyed wrote:
A RRS is very useful! Very Happy

Oi!! That's enough of that, ta very much Ner Ner

Post #4962923rd Mar 2006 6:33 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

qzdcg8 wrote:
Useful info chaps - so how much would I pay for one of these straps then?

A 30T strap/sling would cost about £35, You don’t have to buy them from a 4x4 outlet. Some sell equipment that is not certificated Shocked . Go to your local industrial lifting equipment outlet. What ever you buy make sure it has a label or stamp with an SWL loading on it.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #4963923rd Mar 2006 7:13 pm
catoperator

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3

towing slings chains etc do not have to be certified only lifting equipment need certification just do a google serch for suppliers in your area if you go to the sodbury sortouts there is usually a bloke selling a vast selection of sling chains etc its on in april

Post #4964123rd Mar 2006 7:28 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

This is correct Smile .
What I am saying is you can get equipment that may claim to be fit for purpose, or you can get equipment that IS fit for purpose and stamped and/or labelled correctly. Its up to the individual to get what they want. There is no way I will use anything that does not have a suitable Safe Working Load marked clearly, it's just not worth it. Wink
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #4965723rd Mar 2006 8:44 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Safety

Have seen shackles brake that are stamped slings that are tested so you cannot be to careful better being safe than sorry
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #4966823rd Mar 2006 9:19 pm
catoperator

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3

AndrewS wrote:
This is correct Smile .
What I am saying is you can get equipment that may claim to be fit for purpose, or you can get equipment that IS fit for purpose and stamped and/or labelled correctly. Its up to the individual to get what they want. There is no way I will use anything that does not have a suitable Safe Working Load marked clearly, it's just not worth it. Wink
the problem is how do you work out the swl you need a disabled vehicle on tarmac is easy to tow so a standard tow rope will do but when you are recovering a stuck vehicle it all changes a disco pulling a stuck disco out for instance = roughly 5 ton weight but then you have suction possibility of being wedged on something so you could have a 30 ton strop but then you need equivilent shackles hooks etc and somewhere good enough to take the strain i would rather snap a strop than damage the vehicle a small turfor winch is very handy and powerful just remember the all the saftey aspects flying bits kill Sad  
Post #4968423rd Mar 2006 10:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >