Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Under Body Sealant ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Under Body Sealant ?

So, a brief respite between Xmas & New year gave me the opportunity to look at a D4 that’s made it on to my short list, FSH 75k miles but on a 12 plate so has the fairy lights which I’m not keen on BUT the car looks to be in A1 condition inside and out……

Underneath thought I’m not so sure hence the reason for the post.

At some point in time it’s had some form of under body sealant applied in an attempt to prolong the inevitable, unfortunately it’s starting to show signs of age and when it’s cracking or loose there’s bright orange rust clearly visible ? I took the tow hitch cover off and it looks like it’s been applied in there and it rot free but underneath and on the space saver spare it’s been lathered in something which is drying out.

In particular the panel under the front seat area not sure if this is the fuel tank protection is showing plenty of rust under the black substance which has long since dried out ?

Any advice ? Is this normal or should I avoid ?

Thanks
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #232047129th Dec 2022 6:55 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It wouldn’t put me off, 75k miles is very good for that year, most importantly is has the 7 year service been done.
The protection plates underneath are easily removed to prepare and re-seal, in general anyone who has gone to the trouble of under sealing has looked after the vehicle, I would be looking at where the Disco has spent it’s life, for rust reasons I would never buy one that has lived near the coast or in a hilly location like Derbyshire, it is salt that is the main cause of rust.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #232053030th Dec 2022 9:41 am
chalky

Thanks, l did look at where it had been serviced and it’s been done at Green Brothers in Todmorden.
It’s a 1 owner car and has a full history every 12 months, some years it’s done 4K and others about 8k miles, it’s immaculate inside and like new. Which had attracted me to it as my D3 was 9 year old when I got rid and it was as new….. in my head ?
😀

Well serviced, had V8 brakes and RRS arms all fitted with upgrades galore, courtesy mostly of Bodsy !
I’ve yet to speak with the garage as I can’t get an answer but I think it’s the one, I’m just very sceptical about the crank failure ?

It’s either this or a New Defender commercial.
Post #232057030th Dec 2022 2:29 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Bung Bodsy a PM, he might be able to give an opinion on the wisdom of buying it. Thumbs Up

Post #232057130th Dec 2022 2:33 pm
M3DPO

It sounds good if the price is right, been well serviced, I don’t know why anyone would fit V8 brakes to a D4 as they are actually smaller than standard D4 unless they are Brembo which are another step up.
I can’t see the underseal being a downer, I would wait while spring and give the underneath a good fettle and re-apply the underseal, buy a cheap compressor and DIY it would only take a couple of weekends to do it. Thumbs Up

Post #232057430th Dec 2022 3:07 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

chalky wrote:
my D3 was 9 year old when I got rid and it was as new….. in my head ?
😀

Well serviced, had V8 brakes and RRS arms all fitted with upgrades galore, courtesy mostly of Bodsy !

I took it that Chalky had done the V8 brakes on his "still new in my head" D3. Question

Post #232057530th Dec 2022 3:11 pm
M3DPO

Thumbs Up

Post #232058230th Dec 2022 3:55 pm
chalky

Thanks all, yes the V8 brakes went on the D3, RRS upper lower arms etc, general replacement of parts as they wore out upgraded.

I know the D4 ones are bigger, and in general the D4 trumps the D3 but rewind to when I had a D3 and the D4 was a complete waste of money. Exactly the same car but just more money.

Any way here I am again, on what is prob the most informative “best” friendly motoring forum I’ve ever been on !
No Ego’s ! No nasty comments just helpful friendly folk helping each other out.

I’ve missed it and feel compelled to jump aboard just to remain active on the forum.
Post #232058330th Dec 2022 4:03 pm
Captain Crosscheck

Ukraine 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If the underseal is flaking, it's most likely old hard Tectyl (don't know the UK equivalent). This can be a trap for water once it starts cracking! If you buy the car, remove as much as you can of the old stuff, and coat the frame++ with Lanoguard or something similar. It creeps in everywhere and doesn't harden Thumbs Up

Post #232063030th Dec 2022 11:56 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

chalky wrote:
Thanks all, yes the V8 brakes went on the D3, RRS upper lower arms etc, general replacement of parts as they wore out upgraded.

I know the D4 ones are bigger, and in general the D4 trumps the D3 but rewind to when I had a D3 and the D4 was a complete waste of money. Exactly the same car but just more money.

Any way here I am again, on what is prob the most informative “best” friendly motoring forum I’ve ever been on !
No Ego’s ! No nasty comments just helpful friendly folk helping each other out.

I’ve missed it and feel compelled to jump aboard just to remain active on the forum.

Hiya

Hope all goes well with the D4 , also wished to share a link with regards to undersealing , has some links etc in that thread , personally used dinotrol and still looks the same as it did back then , really pleased with it

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic191752.html

Not wishing to try and teach u how to suck eggs but well worth getting some disposable gloves, overalls , along with a plastic sheet that u can drive onto to protect ur driveway etc , handy if u put on 2 x pairs of gloves so that when one pair gets dirty u can remove one set and replace with a clean pair as my god that dinotrol seriously sticks to ur skin if gloves aren’t worn

Also some safety glasses are a godsend to prevent any bits getting in ur eyes

Indeed the prep took me longer than the actual job , plus if u can get a car creeper with an adjustable headrest as will stop ur neck from aching

Hope this and other link is helpful to u

Post #232063631st Dec 2022 12:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >