Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Africa

Botswana hints needed.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Rencolyn

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Geez Gerhardt, hairy stuff! Shocked Just as well you guys were not in the tent the 1st time around!

Congrats on your new Conquest purchase, enjoy it.

Thanks for the input
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #30259124th May 2008 9:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pieter

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi,

We did Northen Botswana in my Discovery TD5 - great. Sleeping off the ground is best - we had elephant, hyena and who knows what else walking through the campsites at night! Fuel is an issue once past Maun - driving is mostly in deep, soft sand - slow going and with very high fuel consumption. I would not want to tow a trailer through that sand! Another issue - we once had to get out of the way of an elephant fast - backwards! IMO a roof top + spare diesel (60L) is best for this trip.

Cheers, Pieter
 2012 D4 TDV6 HSE White
Ex 2008 D3 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Ex 2003 D2 TD5 GS 

Post #30293125th May 2008 10:46 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I agree with the comments about the elephants in Northern Bots - we had some pretty hairy moments there too, and luckily I didn't have to reverse in a hurry.
Gerhardt congrats on your Conquest - now there are at least 2 of us on the forum with this model. What options did you buy?

Fuel in Northern bots could be a problem I agree, liek I said "depending on where you are going" - especially on that specific route thru Savuti, cos the sand is a bit thick, and the road is quite bumpy. We followed a conqueror commander caravan, and it was off the road most of the time - in the air! I spose I am spoilt now with that big extra tank, so I don't necessarily notice the other guys filling from jerrycans.

BTW, meat is no problem to take in, or to move North with, but as soon as you move South, you will have your meat taken away and incinerated (lost 15 packets of bacon, 1kg biltong this way Big Cry ), sure the meat is chaper in Bots, but the quality is not the same. Just be aware that you won't be able to move South with it.

T4A is a must - the price is almost free, and the content is awesome.

I have never had issues with jerrycan taxes, but thanks for the advice.

I had a similar "limp mode" "general engine failure" experience, and I managed to get the vehicle to 100km/h with very gentle throttle control.

Post #30298426th May 2008 7:40 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Baben wrote:
(lost 15 packets of bacon, 1kg biltong this way Big Cry ),
I had a similar "limp mode" "general engine failure" experience, and I managed to get the vehicle to 100km/h with very gentle throttle control.

Shocked 15 packets of bacon . I can hear your cholestrol count from here Laughing

Tell me about the engine failure - was it fuel related and how did you fix it

Post #30298626th May 2008 7:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TiaanS

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

First, I think Aug/Sep is a great time to visit although it will be very dry and dusty game viewing will be great with most animal’s concentrated around the waterholes and rivers. Thumbs Up

Some campsite comments:

We do our Bots trip in an anti-clockwise direction (never ask myself why…)

As we prefer to give the first day a good go we normally stop over for our first night at Nata Lodge. Ablutions and facilities are good and you can have dinner and breakfast at the restaurant.

In Kasane accommodation is never a problem. We stayed at Chobe Safari lodge last year while they were renovating – not a good experience but I am sure they will be completed by now?
In Kasane a Boat cruise on the Chobe River is a must, try to book in advance… and you can also go to the Vic falls for a day visit.

In the Chobe our favourite camps are Ihaha and Linyanti
Ihaha is on the banks of the Chobe river and afternoon game viewing is great.
Linyanti is maybe not the best campsite for game viewing but the remoteness is what we’re after.

In moremi you have numerous camps to choose from. North gate, south gate, Xakanaxa, 3rd bridge.

We’ve never camped in any of the camps surrounding Maun but we always stop over to refuel and full up the supplies.

As Deon mentioned Leroo La Tau is absolutely brilliant but unfortunately I’ve also heard that they closed down.
http://www.4x4community.com/forum/showthre...=leroo+tau

Kubu Island is a must (at least once) and the sunrise at Kubu is something special, we try to stop at Kubu on the way back as the dust from the saltpans gets in every where and with no ablutions this can be a problem…

General comments
Driving a Petrol and towing a Conqueror Commander I have to carry at least 4 Jerries as we full up in Kasane and travel 550Km off-road (excluding game drives) before we can refuel in Maun.

Doing the Bots trip in an anti-clockwise direction we order our meat from the Spar in Kasane (great quality) and just pick it up on the morning leaving Kasane (vacuum-packed and frozen) remember to keep you slip as you will be required to show some proof at the Ngoma vet control point.

Towing a trailer will not be a problem (Why - because it is a Disco) although I will not suggest to do the Ihaha, Linyanti, Savuti trip towing on your own.

http://www.4x4community.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11949

Post #30303726th May 2008 11:36 am
Rencolyn

Hi Pieter,

From all the comments, it looks like a RT tent is advisable. Reversing with a trailer is not easy at the best of times, let alone with a Jumbo distracting you! Good point, thanks.

Baden : Good tip on the meat story, but hey... if you had 15 packets of bacon over, how many did you start with?? Rolling Eyes (Heine got in before me). I got the T4A maps so should have all the info from there. Thanks.

Tiaan : Thanks for the in-depth info. We are planning the Ihaha, Linyanti, Savuti destinations so all the comments about trailer towing in that area has made us think twice. Will definitely do the boat cruise & Vic falls. Good tip on the Spar for the meat & the till slip. Thanks.

Well if the trailer must stay at home, the next is to find the best RT tent. Any poor makes I need to stay away from? or good ones to check out?
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #30307826th May 2008 2:05 pm
heine

I was very happy with my howling moon until it found a new owner (Deondef) but I wouldn't have any problem suggesting that you still take the trailer . We did Bots/Nam/Zim in March and although everything was very wet and we didn't see much game , the D3 towed like a star . I did a very similar trip as to what we did the previous year with the defender , and it was an absolute breeze . Viva D3 Viva

Post #30315026th May 2008 6:34 pm
Rencolyn

Heine I spoke to someone today that has done Bots 6 times and every time with his trailer. He has assured me that it is no problem and you have just confirmed it. Ok, so trailer it will be. Saves a heap in lieu of not spending on new RT tent etc.

Also I can now take the extra 80L fuel with ease plus 120L water, the 84L Luna & the extras that the wife wants. (must watch the weight tho!)

Re 2nd spare wheel, it has also been suggested that if I cannot find a 18" rim then just take the tyre as many locals in the outback can change the tyre for a few Pula's if need be.

With all the info from you guys it is now time to plan the route & do the bookings which I believe is a tedious task.
Thanks, guys.
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #30317226th May 2008 7:11 pm
pieter

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

We rented a tent from a company in Randburg - cannot remember the name or the make. When renting you only consider if its good enough for the trip, which it was Wink
 2012 D4 TDV6 HSE White
Ex 2008 D3 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Ex 2003 D2 TD5 GS 

Post #30317426th May 2008 7:14 pm
heine

The biggest thing for me was to remember to take obstacles slower than normal , otherwise the trailer would bounce around too much . In the end I learnt to take my normal line and to just let the trailer follow as it wanted to .

Post #30321026th May 2008 8:07 pm
Rencolyn

For planning purposes, Question anyone got any rough consumption figures for a Disco3 with trailer in the soft Botswana sand routes??
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #30369328th May 2008 10:34 am
heine

I have a very heavy foot and I was averaging 6.5 km/l

Post #30369528th May 2008 10:41 am
Rencolyn

Wow that was quick, thanks Hein. Hmmm, what is that in L/100km? being dof today.
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #30369728th May 2008 10:44 am
heine

15.384615 Laughing

Post #30370028th May 2008 10:49 am
Rencolyn

Formula on the web says 6.5l/km = 15.4L/100km, not to bad.
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #30370128th May 2008 10:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >