DISCO4.COM > Africa

Botswana hints needed.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Rencolyn

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Botswana hints needed.

Hi Guys,

I am planning a (3 vehicle party) camping trip to Botswana in late Aug/Sept. Not having been there, I will greatly appreciate feedback on destinations & routes as well as views on taking a trailer all the way from Knysna & back. The other option would be to invest in a rooftop tent.

Any other info will also be useful.

Thanks,
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #30199422nd May 2008 3:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Spysmys

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Tabart, old clothes for trading and lost of beer !!!!
 Previous: Defender 110 Double cab
Current: MY07 Discovery 3 XS 

Post #30204222nd May 2008 5:11 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

How long

Post #30205022nd May 2008 5:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Ren

The kit you take depends on where you go, and how much of a rush you are in.

Water isn't usually a problem in Bots if you are using established campsites - you will just need to make sure you have enough drinking and cooking water for the really remote sites, and shops are not that few and far-between, fuel is not really a problem, again depending on where you are going, so the standard fuel tank should be fine.

We have done a few trips to and thru Bots with and without trailer.

If you are planning a trip where you only stay one night in each spot, then I gurantee you will burn the trailer after a week - this is where the ease and speed of the rooftop tent is great.
If you have the luxury of staying a couple of days in each site, then the trailer is a boon, especially with the extra water, fuel, luxury and packing space it provides.

Just be aware that if you are towing, you will need to have maximum clearance for the sandy roads like Nxai pan (on the way to Baine's Baobabs), and in the parks, so you may need the add-on towbar.

Some of my favourite destinations are:

Kubu Island (Makgadigadi pans/Sowa pan) - bare bones camp, but wall-to-wall stars at night
Planet baobab (Gweta) - awesome chalets or camping, best pub in Botswana, lots of Baobabs
Kasane - any of the lodges are great, the main attraction is a Chobe river safari (meet ALL the elephants and buffalo)
Savuti camp - meet the rest of the elephants you missed on the river, plus the hippos
Audi Camp (Maun) only popped in for minutes, but I wanna go back there, great pub etc.
Nata lodge - great for a stopover on the way in or home. Awesome restaurant

I haven't done much in Southern Bots, but hang in there, I am sure some of the others will help.

Post #30206122nd May 2008 6:12 pm
heine

Also check out

http://www.overland.co.za/feedback/bots_feedback.html

Post #30211822nd May 2008 8:26 pm
Rencolyn

Yep, good info Baden, thanks, We are planning a 3-4week trip using a base camp for 2-3 days & then moving on. I will check out your suggestions on the net. I have fitted the FR tow bar so that should be ok. Knowing the Missus, I will probably also need the roof rack as well just to fit in all her kit! Rolling Eyes
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #30223423rd May 2008 2:15 am
Rencolyn

Nice link Heine, thanks,
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #30223523rd May 2008 2:18 am
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ren,

Got to disagree with Baben on one point - fuel. The standard tank is not enough when going from Maun to Kasane via Moremi and Savuti. We spent 8 nights en route and did about a thousand km's, using about 140l (not towing). Trust me you definitely want to go there, so load up the jerry's on the RR.

Do you have T4A loaded on your GPS - if not get it, very useful, even points out the taverns in each village. You are going to need to stop for a drink, because the roads (once you are off tar) are slow, heavy going, especially with a trailer. Work on an average speed of 20 - 30km/h.

Food and booze are all easily obtainable up there. Meat is about a third of SA prices and the rest is about the same.

Give us some more feedback on your intended route and we'll be of more assistance.

Rob

Post #30223823rd May 2008 5:46 am
Rencolyn

Thanks Rob, I will assimilate all these excellent tips. Yes I do have T4A but it is a bit outdated. I will get the latest one closer to the time.

Do you have to pay duty on fuel in Jerry cans when crossing the RSA /Bots border?

I will advise on the routing a bit later after discussing with the other parties.
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #30223923rd May 2008 6:11 am
heine

Rencolyn wrote:

Do you have to pay duty on fuel in Jerry cans when crossing the RSA /Bots border

Sometimes on the way back in . Just make sure you use them all first

Post #30224023rd May 2008 6:20 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Rencolyn

Recently did southern areas - ie Central Kalahari/Khutse and most recently Kgalagadi. Other that the fact that it is obviously closer to RSA and very dry savannah type environment (if this excites you) I much rather prefer the northen areas around the delta.

Places that I will recommend :
Mankwe from where you can travel to both Chobe and Moremi over the Khwai river - and maybe test the D3's wading capability - like I did with my Defender. Thumbs Up

Planet Baobab - as Baben said - awesome accommodation Thumbs Up

Lerau Leratau (spel?) - where you will witness amazing food chain stuff - action of the animals as they are forced to a waterhole and then actualy get locked in due to the area's topography. Although heard somewhere that they plan to close down - this was the event that made my wife decide that sleeping in tent on the ground is banned forever Big Cry

Post #30226523rd May 2008 9:13 am
Deondef

Just on the fuel thing - yes they will charge you tax for fuel brought back into RSA - luckily they allowed me to empty one jerry can which was still full into vehicle at the border post.

Entering Bots I do not know, but rather fill up in Bots in any event as fuel is cheaper - just make sure you fill up at big towns - ask me I know Exclamation !.

Something else on the hand-outs - rather take along writing paper (even old documents printed on one side) and pens/pencils than sweets to hand to children or even better to schools if you pass any. Small packets sugar and old clothes to adults.

Post #30227323rd May 2008 9:23 am
Rencolyn

Deon thanks, very good tips. I have done the Kgalagadi so will definitely do the Northern parts. After reading some of the trip reports which Heine pointed me to, I agree about the tent on the ground stuff! Shocked Maybe even end up having a bed fitted inside my trailer! Laughing

Good idea about the handouts as we always do the 'packet of sweets' thing. Wife also does braai leftover handouts to any stray dogs in RSA.

Read somewhere on the forum about fuel problems from outlandish places, was that you?
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #30230923rd May 2008 10:13 am
Deondef

Jaaaaa - very first trip to Vic falls with D3 - put in not more than 20L of diesel at a very suspect station in Botswana and 40km further D3 went into limp mode and had to find accommodation for the night. Limped to Potgietersrust the following day where the LR agent diagnosed the problem to clogged fuel filter. They battled to locate the filter as this was a brand new model and training manuals have not been updated yet - even after locating it they did not have a spare filter in stock. Limped to JHB and waited 3 weeks for new filter from UK.

Now I carry spare filter (make absolutely sure that you have the correct filter for the model vehicle) in my vehicle at all times and recently invested in a filter/funnel unit which I used during my recent trip to Kgalagadi. Some may say that it is belt and braces, but in my case - once bitten twice shy.

LR assured me that even with a 80% blocked filter the D3 will still be able to drive under low revs and the limp mode is due to the ECU being "over protective" iro of safeguarding the injectors.

I rest my case ..........................
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #30248523rd May 2008 7:27 pm
gerhardt

South Africa 2007 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteLR3

Done the Moermi/Savuti trip several times. Never taken a trailer, last trip had several lions in our camp to share our braai. Older animals not so much of an issue however the younger ones caused a fair amount of damage to the tent and chairs. Spent about an hour in the vehicle whilst the incident took place. After retiring to the tent for the night the lions returned and stayed till early mourning. Wife and kids vowed never to return unless we could sleep off the groud. As this is one of the better places to visit, I had no choice but to buy a trailer, am now the proud owner of a Conquest - will collect at 10h00 today. With regards on the suitability of using a trailer in Moremi/Savuti, my personal opinion is that provided there is more than one vehicle in the group(for recovery) it should not be an issue. The sand Ridge between North gate and Savuti and the road from Savuti to Linyati are garanteed to be challanging with a trailer in tow.

Post #30258724th May 2008 8:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >