Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Crank Snapping Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
rowlejohn

France 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Majik wrote:
Reading from various articles I can find plenty of horror stories and discussions on this topic. The only stats I can find was on the website "https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/248591-Preliminary-Investigation-into-TDV6-Crank-Failures"

Where the stats say : "engine failure rate of LR as reported by Warranty direct in the UK is 1 in 77 which is better than both BMW and Audi."

Due to this I wonder if the issue is as prevalent as it seems or its publicity due to the severity has amplified the occurance.

The site also references polls on this forum.

What is the general feeling on odds of failure from more experienced owners?

Given the concencus that the early Oil pump and bearing design was flawed causing failure and subsequent oil starvation causing seizure due to the bearing(s) spinning and shutting off the oil supply.
The recommended fix was to replace the oil pump with a modified version when the Cambelt change was done- every 105000 miles or beforehand to be certain. One thing is for sure LR must have been aware of the issue and should have carried out a recall of all affected models but didn't.
Strange that the petrol versions do not suffer the same problem.
Again, the Range Rover V8, 3.9 and P38, V8, 4.6 had issues with porous cylinder blocks and slipped liners which were well known and documented but they did not issue any recalls. I had to replace the short engine on both of my earlier Range Rovers due to that problem.
Who in their right mind would remove a well running TDV6 engine either D3 or D4, Strip it down, remove the Crank, have it X-rayed/crack detected, inspect and replace the bearing shells and replace the later type oil pump etc. just for peace of mind ??-Not me!! Human nature is "If it's running well don't fix it "
Here endeth my input Mr. Green
 Relocated to Mid France from N. Wales March 2021
Rovacomlite and IDD/ SSD diagnostics user
Previous Landies
3.9 SE Classic
3.5 V8 Disco
4.6 P38 HSE
L322 Vogue HSE
TD4 ES Freelander 1 

Post #237214230th Jun 2024 2:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12