Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

My D3 Camper Build
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Harry365

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
My D3 Camper Build

I did this build back in Jan 21. Used extensively for work and travel into Europe and extremely happy with it.

Specs are
    4' Small double memory foam mattress
    85 Litres of water (5L hot)
    Shower & tap
    Cabin heater
    600 Watt inverter
    31L Fridge
    27" TV with Raspberry PI
    Independent sound system
    Atmospheric lighting
    8x USB
    4x main power sockets
    ~300 litres of storage

Here is a picture of near enough the overall build, less the matteress and below is a 9 min video. Grab a cuppa and have a watch, I think you'll like it. As you'll see, the build isn't complete in the video and there are a lot of final touches that aren't featured.

Regrettably I didn't document it particularly well at the time. The occasional picture and video for friends and family as well as for my own reference, although I have media for most things in one way or another.

Depending on how interested people are, I can begin to upload photos and a few more vids. If there is any aspect of the build you would like me to detail further, or want to see more pictures of, just ask and I'll see what I can find.

The video does not at all demonstrate how much effort went into this build. As many of you will know, there are so many tiny details needed to make something like this work that will forever go unnoticed and under-appreciated by anyone other than that who built it. Anyway, enjoy. Hopefully it will give some ideas and inspiration to others.

Last edited by Harry365 on 17th Feb 2022 3:05 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #227909115th Feb 2022 10:43 pm
Harry365

Just to add. The bed base uses a cantilever support to maximise the amount of unobstructed storage space behind the front seats. This was achieved by bolting two lengths of angle iron, using timber as a spacer, to the 3rd row seat mounts. Accompanied by a 3rd length of timber running down the middle, which cantilevers over the water tank.

Post #227909315th Feb 2022 10:54 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Looks great Thumbs Up

I’m always surprised how much room there is in a Disco… I managed to get my three cats (had the whole of the boot space to themselves) and all of my stuff for six months living abroad in the back with enough room for me in the front still.. and then did a 2200 mile road trip !

More photos please!
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #227909715th Feb 2022 11:23 pm
GLYNNE

England 

Wow Very Happy Very impressive and looks a quality install. Love the workshop as well Thumbs Up
Looking forward to seeing more.

Post #227910015th Feb 2022 11:31 pm
Harry365

nigethecat wrote:
Looks great Thumbs Up

I’m always surprised how much room there is in a Disco…

Yup, absolutely tonnes of space in a D3/4, especially if you get creative with how to utilise it.

GLYNNE wrote:
Wow Very Happy Very impressive and looks a quality install. Love the workshop as well Thumbs Up
Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers. Unfortunately I am moving out of this workshop in the coming months after 7 years of being so lucky. Hopefully the new place will have even half of this.

Here are some pics of the TV mounting.

(and a vid of the lighting)

Essentially, 18mm ply bolted through the 3rd row grab handles. Everything had to be assembled on the bench and then fitted.

Click image to enlarge

I wanted some mood lighting around the TV. I was just going to have a sheet of ply but got carried away with the jigsaw and ended up with this... shape. I am not sure what the inspiration for the shape was but it ended up looking alright in the end.

Click image to enlarge

Post #227911216th Feb 2022 12:11 am
Scott D4

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Amazing

Amazing design, especially the bed and the storage room underneath. I am also doing the same on my D4 ---currently removing the middle and rear seats, which will give me a huge storage for long distance journey. Tv and a big water tank are not in my plan, but a very comfortable bed platform and mattress.

Post #227996320th Feb 2022 6:37 pm
Harry365

Thanks

Loads of space with the seats removed and plenty of threaded holes. I am almost certain I didn't drill a single hole for the superstructure. The side panels I believe use a few self tappers into the inner panels of the car.

The only thing I would change second time round is slightly lowering the bed platform, or buying a thinner mattress. You can actually see in the pics above, I initially started with smaller piece of timber along the steel work but eventually raised the bed with a larger one. I think this was mostly because I needed a support down the middle that would be strong enough. It might have also been to put a bigger gap above the inverter, though I did l lower that. I might have also just wanted a bigger gap to get to things in the back. Either way, there's not quite enough room to sit upright.

I would also like to organise the space in the middle row foot wells for better storage.

I'll get some pics of the completed build for you some time this week. Or another vid

Post #228000120th Feb 2022 10:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >