DISCO4.COM > General

D3 V's defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Mike

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
D3 V's defender

Hi people

just wondered what some of your thoughts might be on this..

I currently have an 06 HSE and do a small amount of off roading but want to do more.

Have stratched paintwork and plastics on brambles but nothing major that wont polish out or be hidden by more dirt

I fancy doijng more off roading and was thinking of buying a kitted out defender for about £10k. this way if it gets scratched or pranged whilst off roading i wont be bothered.

Plus how will a defender compete against my D3 off road - am I just wasting my money on a defender and should I just accept minor marks on the D3?

Thanks folks
Mike
 '06 D3 HSE
Zambezi with Alpaca, F & R light guards, side steps, privacy glass, MTR's, rear access ladder, roof bars, RAI, walnut trim and a few other little bits and bobs 

Post #10202915th Nov 2006 4:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

We have a 110 Defender on a W plate no TC. and it kicks the D3s ass off road. The only place the D3 is superior is in a cross axle situation as its got independent suspension, oh and its quieter, and the sound system is better.

Post #10203515th Nov 2006 5:36 pm
Mike

I'm thinking of going for a 90 as this will only be a toy I don't need the extra room. any tips on what to look for or to avoid?
 '06 D3 HSE
Zambezi with Alpaca, F & R light guards, side steps, privacy glass, MTR's, rear access ladder, roof bars, RAI, walnut trim and a few other little bits and bobs 

Post #10203715th Nov 2006 5:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Mike wrote:
I'm thinking of going for a 90 as this will only be a toy I don't need the extra room. any tips on what to look for or to avoid?

My choice for what its worth would be a TD5 and get it re-mapped by one of the tuning companys.

Post #10204215th Nov 2006 5:52 pm
Disco 3 RS

2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Also if your not VAT registered it could be a good idea to look out for a Hard Top with No VAT or a Station Wagon could be a better bet because visibility is key when off roading

Post #10204315th Nov 2006 5:55 pm
Mike

ok thanks
What is it about the TD5 that you like?
 '06 D3 HSE

Post #10204515th Nov 2006 5:56 pm
Pelyma

England 

What about in slippery conditions? I would have thought the D3 with the electrickery would be better say on snow, I would also guess a beginner would get further in a D3 than a Defender, especially on standard tyres and both would do more than 90% would ever ask. I remember LRO doing a test of the new RR v the Defender and made the RR best (just) it just goes to show if you pick the right test!

The big thing with Defenders is they hold their money so well, but they rust like Censored especially is offroaded regularly, some show body rust when new. But they are an icon and like most icons they are flawed but you forgive them it. They will do many things that you can't in a D3 because you don't worry about panel damage, the reverse is true too. If I were you I'd go and have a drive of one first and make sure you like them!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #10204915th Nov 2006 6:09 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Mike wrote:
ok thanks
What is it about the TD5 that you like?

Not much choice really if you want a reasonably powerful diesel and a more modern defender go for the TD5 if not get an earlier 300dti.

Post #10205215th Nov 2006 6:13 pm
Disco 3 RS

2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I wouldn't say a Defender is prone to rust problems as the body is aluminium!! The chassis can be prone to rusting but as long as you have a good look before you buy and then get it wax oyled before you pick it up you shouldn't have any problems.
Defenders have a huge weight advantage over the D3 which helps in all conditions eg snow and ice/wet grass etc but as you rightly say the D3 does have all the electric-trickery to help!!
I would sum it up by saying that either vehicle would get you where you would want to go but in my opinion you'd have more fun off roading in a Defender due it making you work a bit harder and you don't have the same worries about marking it (anyone seen a Defender with no dints?) Shocked

Post #10205315th Nov 2006 6:20 pm
Lakeland Land Rover

United Kingdom 

How about a 90 truck cab! great visability a lot of hill farmers swear by them off road here with BFG Mud terrains on. Very Happy
 Lakeland Land Rover
The Garage,
Torver,
Coniston,
Cumbria,
LA21 8BJ
Tel: 015394 41888 

Post #10205515th Nov 2006 6:23 pm
Pelyma

England 

I think you will find panels such as the bulk head are steel not aluminium and of course where steel and ali meet you get electrolysis and the ali crumbles. The chassis on farmers Defenders can be awful from the cow Censored rusting in very badly. Like I say it is a flawed icon but forgivable!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #10206015th Nov 2006 6:38 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I have a Defender 90 4.2 V8 toy. Raised 2 inches with a Scorpian lift kit and 285/75 R16 Grizzly Claw mud tyres. This will go anywhere, A lot more ground clearance and infinitly easier to clean the clay off than the D3.

I would have the Defender over the D3 anytime for serious offroading. Keep it simple and its easy to fix.

On the other hand, sat nav, heated seats, sound system................. Mmm

Post #10208015th Nov 2006 8:01 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I think it's horsesh*t TBH..... you can't compare the two.

The Defender is very capable at driving off-road ...granted..... and I suspect you will push it harder than a D3 because you won't really worry if you get the odd dent. And thats about all you can say Wink

The D3, on the other hand, is capable of tackling some serious off-roading situations ...in comfort and grace....AND...you drive straight out of those conditions onto the m-way feeling as though your in a limo....so smooth and luxurious. Very Happy

Quite frankly I wouldn't really want to go off-road into conditions much worse than those that I've already experienced in the D3..... which dealt with them very admirably.

Defender v D3 ?.......thats just not fair Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 15th Nov 2006 10:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #10210915th Nov 2006 9:10 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Well said DG Thumbs Up

If you want a serious toy, but have to sell the D3 to get it, then I would suggest you need to look more into the proposed 'hobby' first.

A Defender will never replace a D3 for daily tarmac use. However, unless you are doing real off-roading every day, you wont see the benefit of the Defender either.

Horses for courses I suppose. I would rather take-up train spotting if a hobby meant I had to sell the D3 first Wink

Post #10212615th Nov 2006 10:19 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

The very reason why I have a 110 and a D3. If I cant get to where I want to in the D3 then the 110 comes out to play.

Post #10213115th Nov 2006 10:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >