DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Disco 3 question about e-diff
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jean-Paul

Greece 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Disco 3 question about e-diff

hello guys.

i am totally new in the land rover scheme. all i know is what i have seen in the oficial website.

what more can the e-diff provide one, ? what is its use ? and what does it do exactly. they dont mention it anywhere.

i am looking for a used 2005 SE V8 4.4 disco and i want to see what things it has on.
what are the difference between the SE and HSE as far as off-road capabilities is concerned?

also what are the must haves in a disco 3 as far as original equipment is concerned ? since i am getting the se version
 J.p  
Post #4777347th Jun 2009 9:51 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Jean-Paul and welcome to the forum!

Hopefully others who know more than me will be along and give you better information, but I hope this helps:

Any 4-wheel drive vehicle has to have differentials to allow the wheels to turn independently when going around corners. Without some means of locking the differentials, all the engine's torque will go to the wheel with the least resistance, so if one wheel is in the air or on a slippery surface it will just spin with no traction.

All D3s have an electronically controlled centre differential which senses when the wheels are slipping alot (also guided by your selection on the terrain response dial) and locks the front and rear axles together. That stops one wheel from spinning away, but there are situations where that alone won't help (for example where the vehicle is "cross-axled" with one front and one rear wheel in the air, both would just spin).

Fortunately, all D3s also have traction control - the computer can sense which wheels are spinning from the wheel speed sensors (originally intended for ABS) and can apply the brake to each spinning wheel. On soft ground you can see this happening and it gives enough traction for a standard D3 to get through some amazingly challenging terrain.

There is also an optional "active rear differential" - I think this is what you mean by the e-diff. Depending on the terrain resplonse setting, this uses a clutch to "pre-load" the differential or lock it completely, linking the two rear wheels directly together so they can't spin independently. The "rock crawl" setting does this.

Do you need it? Probably not, but if you're going to drive on rocks or sand I can see it being a good thing. And it'll save brake wear. I wouldn't make a decision between two D3s solely on one of them having it though.

The HSE gives you a nice 4x4 info display that show when each diff is working, but it won't get anywhere that an SE wouldnt. Makes you feel good knowing it's there and working though Smile

Post #4778098th Jun 2009 12:02 am
Jean-Paul

thank you for your aswer. this is what i meant. now i understand it. how can i check if the previous owner had this extra ?

as far as the 4x4 info i don't have a problem, but i would love to have a rear lock. do you know how i can check if this option is on my car ?

also do we have any link for the VIN number explanation ?

to conclude, the only rear mechanical diffrence between an SE and an HSE is the rear lock differential.the rest of them are a matter of taste, such as leather, ice etc., right ?
 J.p  
Post #4778208th Jun 2009 6:26 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

The electronic locking rear diff locks when required. the sensitivity of the lock depends on what terrain response setting you have selected.

Do you need it Question Vehicles without the locking rear diff rely on Traction Control, this operates when a tyre looses traction (not good), the vehicle with the e-diff would continue without losing traction (good). A D3 without an e-diff would still get to the places as a D3 with on fitted it would have to work a bit harder.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #4778218th Jun 2009 6:27 am
Jean-Paul

other than that is there any other reason one should NOT get the se version ?

also .. major problems/faults one might be careful and know about when getting a used disco 3 ?
points to look at ?
 J.p  
Post #4778228th Jun 2009 6:32 am
diamond

Greece 

I don't see a problem buying an SE model instead of HSE in regard to offroad capabilities. The only thing you are losing is the 4x4 information on the display. But there is a work around if you search a little bit more in this site. (check for Black box solutions)

The Active rear diff is an option regardless the model specs (either SE or HSE). The only way to check it (to my knowledge) is to raise the car and look for an extra actuator on top of the rear diff.

If you check this site there is a lot of valuable information regarding the reliability and the problems of the car. Keep in mind though that the happy owners rarely write down their opinion. Also check the dates of the posts because a lot of the issues are dated back to 2005-06.

Also there is a number of Greeks here who can help you on your decision. (Ollram, Biz, Kontos)

Good luck with your choice

Post #4778608th Jun 2009 8:57 am
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

To tell whether a D3 has a rear locking differential fitted, you need to look on the top of the rear differential (you might need a torch!) This thread http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic23883.html includes a photo of the thing you're looking for.

There's also a nice cut-away photo at
http://www.cutawaycreations.com/cutaways.p...image1.jpg

Good luck!

Post #4778768th Jun 2009 9:33 am
Jean-Paul

diamond wrote:
I don't see a problem buying an SE model instead of HSE in regard to offroad capabilities. The only thing you are losing is the 4x4 information on the display. But there is a work around if you search a little bit more in this site. (check for Black box solutions)

The Active rear diff is an option regardless the model specs (either SE or HSE). The only way to check it (to my knowledge) is to raise the car and look for an extra actuator on top of the rear diff.

If you check this site there is a lot of valuable information regarding the reliability and the problems of the car. Keep in mind though that the happy owners rarely write down their opinion. Also check the dates of the posts because a lot of the issues are dated back to 2005-06.

Also there is a number of Greeks here who can help you on your decision. (Ollram, Biz, Kontos)

Good luck with your choice

and where are biz, kontos etc ? call them now !!! jut kidding.

thank you. from all the discovery websites i have been registered this seem to be the one with the most activity.

so it is a little hard to see whether it has the diff or not. i guess this will have to be done in the workshop in case i decide to buy it....

is there any site that explains the vin number of the car ? the car is 2005 model so i guess it will have a lot of problems that might have been fixed in the following years...

any major things that come to your mind that i need to check would be helpfull.i would love to readll the threads but i lack of time....
 J.p  
Post #4779038th Jun 2009 10:24 am
Jean-Paul

i also thought that this(e-diff) was standard on the hse models and to te ones that have the 4x4 screen info.

most propably none of the hse models will have it , regardless of the 4x4 info, unless the buyer reallly wanted it that option.
 J.p  
Post #4779058th Jun 2009 10:27 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You need to click on the WIKI link just under the disco3.co.uk logo at the top of the page.... Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #4779088th Jun 2009 10:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jean-Paul

ok !!!!! nice wiki info for the vin number.

as far as the e-diff again..

i quote:
Here's a good video from Land Rover Experience showing what the rear diff lock is good for. Even comes with commentary!

without that e-diff we are talking about , a normal D3 would not be able to pass this ?>
 J.p  
Post #4779168th Jun 2009 10:42 am
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Jean-Paul wrote:

i am looking for a used 2005 SE V8 4.4 disco and i want to see what things it has on.
what are the difference between the SE and HSE as far as off-road capabilities is concerned?

My dealer has my brother's car for sale. It's a HSE though in Zambesi Silver.
I know it's a long way from Greece but V8's are rare here, dunno about Greece.
If you're interested in the specs, pm me.

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #4782038th Jun 2009 7:41 pm
Jean-Paul

yes they are rare indeed, but i think it would be very difficult to import the car from uk since i need to have the money in cash which i dont't.. hence i need to sell first my car. thx for the offer though...

still waiting replies for the above...
 J.p  
Post #4782088th Jun 2009 7:48 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Generally speaking, the ediff and non ediff d3's will get to all the same places. The ediff version just sometimes gets there with even less effort than the low effort required with others. You'd be going some to not be able to get somewhere withoutthe ediff. Are you planning mega extreme off roading?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #4782138th Jun 2009 7:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jean-Paul

you never know... but no i am not. I am one of the guys that wants to know it's good to have it just in case.

however, if the car will be ok and the only minus is that i am not talking bout it ! i am taking it !!!! Smile

so a non e-diff d3 wold be able to cross the path posted above afterall ?
 J.p  
Post #4782258th Jun 2009 8:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >