Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Discovery 3 air suspension issue - diagnostics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Danno

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Discovery 3 air suspension issue - diagnostics

Hi all.

2005 Discovery 3 has developed a fault, hitting 50mph the suspension dropped to access height, the brake/ABS warning light comes on and HDC/DSC is lost with fault message displayed on the dash, can’t remember warning message, reading the error message was not foremost on mind whilst travelling on the A406.

After turning off the engine and restarting the system check came back clean, the only issue was when I attempted to raise the car to road height it extended to off-road hight and when selected to off-road height it raised to a point I though the car was trying to get itself off the chassis (see photo). After turning off and re-starting the car lowering to access height and raising to road height it was fine.. so possible calibration error caused by the initial fault.

I have a pretty good handle from other posts on here what it could be but wanted to know if anyone had experience of using the ICARSOFT LR V3.0 - LAND ROVER & JAGUAR PROFESSIONAL DIAGNOSTIC TOOL and if so does it read the the body sensors such as the air suspension controller and ride hight sensors?

Would be good to get a steering by the onboard systems as to what it thinks the issue is rather than me spending time and money on things it isn’t.

Many thanks.

Danno.

Post #23033158th Aug 2022 8:18 pm
480GT

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I can't comment on the iCarsoft having never owned one, but I had some suspension issues not completely unlike yours shortly after I got my current Disco and used it as an excuse to get a GAP IIDTool. A bit more of an outlay than the iCarsoft, but it has paid for itself many times since and they seem to hold their value, should I decide to stop driving Land Rovers altogether (unlikely!).

I'm intentionally not telling you what was wrong in my case as it might not be what's causing your problem and could send you off down a rabbit hole searching for a problem that doesn't exist, but suffice it to say the IIDTool picked everything up and then allowed me to fix the problem for less than £20 and half an hour's fiddling, at least in my case. As far as the IIDTool is concerned I'd say a better question is what can it not do, as opposed to what can it do. Certainly worth the investment if you intend to keep the car for a while and don't wish to spend untold sums every time it goes to the garage.
 D3 2005 HSE
GAP IID 

Post #23034089th Aug 2022 9:08 am
Sidestick

Italy 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Discovery 3 air suspension issue - diagnostics

Danno wrote:
Hi all.

I have a pretty good handle from other posts on here what it could be but wanted to know if anyone had experience of using the ICARSOFT LR V3.0 - LAND ROVER & JAGUAR PROFESSIONAL DIAGNOSTIC TOOL and if so does it read the the body sensors such as the air suspension controller and ride hight sensors?

Danno.

Yes it can read voltage and height of suspension sensors as far as the steering sensor.
Inside "live data" section of iCS tool Idea
 - Easy-Lift suspension module 4.0
- GoodWinch 9500 lb
- Full underbody protections
- Tree/Rock sidebars
- Prospeed roofrack & ladder
- Compressor guard
- Raised Air Intake
- Driving lights (2+4)
- 50 mm Waffle boards
- Altox Heater control
- Overland Rooftop Tent
- Rear seats entertainment
- Front & Rear camera
- GVIF
- Removable tow bar
- Cubby box fridge
- BFG KO2 265/65R17
- iidTool BT 

Post #23034169th Aug 2022 9:33 am
480GT

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Can it do re-calibration, of those sensors? If they go out they can cause the suspension to drop at speed with the usual selection of lights on the dash. Would be annoying to spend however much on the tool, establish that something needs re-calibrating, then have to spend even more having a garage do it or on a tool that can do it!
 D3 2005 HSE
GAP IID 

Post #23034239th Aug 2022 10:14 am
Danno

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks for the replies.

I don’t know how long we will be keeping the Disco, next year we will come under the proposed expansion of ULEZ so unless their is a grace period for residents then the car could be going next year… along with the caravan. Alas we are now at an age where renewing the vehicle probably won’t be cost-effect so I am trying to justify the £479 price tag with that in mind, weighing up the second had price of the tool as an when the car is sold.

I have found some additional blurb on the iCarsoft V3.0, claims functionality supports ‘SPS = air suspension calibrations’ (see photo) but wanted someone with real world experience use of the tool to confirm they have had success in using those functions.

I’ve done the obvious fault finding steps, visual checks of wiring (including under passenger side wheel arch,, soap and water on pipework, fuse removal of air suspension to look for a corner drop, all fine, so next up is the electrical diagnostics.

Thanks again for feedback, it much appreciated.

Danno.

Post #23034419th Aug 2022 11:38 am
Sidestick

Italy 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

- Easy-Lift suspension module 4.0
- GoodWinch 9500 lb
- Full underbody protections
- Tree/Rock sidebars
- Prospeed roofrack & ladder
- Compressor guard
- Raised Air Intake
- Driving lights (2+4)
- 50 mm Waffle boards
- Altox Heater control
- Overland Rooftop Tent
- Rear seats entertainment
- Front & Rear camera
- GVIF
- Removable tow bar
- Cubby box fridge
- BFG KO2 265/65R17
- iidTool BT 

Post #23034459th Aug 2022 12:07 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

if you don't have an iCarsoft then also have a look to see if you can purchase an
AUTEL AP200 white version. (be careful which one you purchase)
At one time you could get these for £45 direct for use with your smart phone.

Post #23034489th Aug 2022 12:16 pm
Danno

Thanks Sidestick for the video, very helpful 👍

Thanks Pete K, I’ll check out the Autel 👍

Post #23034659th Aug 2022 1:28 pm
Lenny1974

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

So, was it agreed that icarsoft can do a suspension calibration or just read the data ?

Don't want to splash out on something that can't do everything.

This GapIID tool seems to be the one to get.

Post #23170641st Dec 2022 10:02 am
von Horst

Sweden 

Old thread but still! before I got the GAP tool I borrowed an icarsoft lr v3.0 and yes it could calibrate the suspension, no problems at all, steering-angle as well, in fact there isnt much it cant do! the n I got the GAP tool and I tell you it wasnt much different from the icarsoft!...amazing really because its about a 300 pound difference in price!

Post #23655841st Apr 2024 10:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >