Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

DIY Fitting RSE in Disco 4 HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
edwin starr

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
DIY Fitting RSE in Disco 4 HSE

I want to fit RSE screens into my Discovery 4 HSE.
I have purchased the correct screens and been to my local LR parts dealer to compile a list of parts I will need to complete the job.
He tells me that the headrest cable that plugs into the screen and goes down to the bottom of the seat will plug into an excisting loom under the seat.
Another LR technician has told me the loom would not be in place under the seat as the vehicle was not ordered with HSE.
Has anyone had any success with fitting the factory fitted RSE themselves.
Is this just a plug and paly Item?

Post #6335438th Apr 2010 9:26 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I very much doubt it will be plug and play .

Normally stuff like that will require wiring of some discription .You will also have to enable the RSE in the car CCF file ...which the dealers cant do on a D3 ..so very much doubt they can do it on the D4 either .
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #6335478th Apr 2010 9:34 pm
tjp74

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR4

you and I need to hook up. I've been trying to do this very same thing and I thought I am the only one doing this. I've a factory documentation on all the componets needed and connector pin description.

So far I bought two LCD screens, remote, headphone and DVD changer, all new off ebay for far less than list price which makes this retrofit ecomically sense. I still need to buy main RES ECU, door switch, center A/V input panel and cables and then some how figure out a way to mount the LCD screen, externally with custom made enclusure or get the original headrest designed for RES system (probably $$$ from dealer)

There will be no wirings so you need to either buy all factory wirings and/or custom make them. Looking at the diagram I have it will be timing consuming but won't be too hard.

All components plugs into the main RES ecu which then connects to the front head unit and amplifier.

Now the only thing I am concerned about is that if the head unit will recognize the RES system and automatically enable it or I have to hook up a computer like FAULT MATE and edit the vehicle configuration file. From above post, it sounds like FAULTMATE MSV is only option.

If I go into the dignostic mode in my navigation system it shows that RES is "not installed". And obviously you don't see "REAR ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM" button on main manu. I was hoping it will be automatically recognized but I guess not.

The FAULT MATE is $1500 device that let you edit the vehicle configuration file enabling or disabling certain features of the car. Since I am in USA I don't see anyone around me who has this so it will be a big expense for me just to do this. I wish I can borrow or somehow send my main ECU to some of you guys in UK who has this and could mount it in their car and edit the file for me. I know it's a wild dream and risk of currupting the file or risk of loosing it in mail. Then I am Censored -ed.

Due to this issue I am currently in hold mode. If you are talking to your dealer, may be you can find this out for us? My dealer is not helpful and thinks I am crazy to do this and won't touch my car because it will be changing the factory configuration.
 TJ
2010 LR4 HSE Lux Plus White/Ebony <=Sold 2012
2000 Discovery II SE7 <=Sold 2011
2010 Prius w/Solar Roof <=Sold 2011 

Post #6335678th Apr 2010 10:06 pm
edwin starr

Re: DIY Fitting RSE in Disco 4 HSE

edwin starr wrote:
I want to fit RSE screens into my Discovery 4 HSE.
I have purchased the correct screens and been to my local LR parts dealer to compile a list of parts I will need to complete the job.
He tells me that the headrest cable that plugs into the screen and goes down to the bottom of the seat will plug into an excisting loom under the seat.
Another LR technician has told me the loom would not be in place under the seat as the vehicle was not ordered with HSE.
Has anyone had any success with fitting the factory fitted RSE themselves.
Is this just a plug and paly Item?

I have seen on this forum that a member has been able to retro fit a RSE to his disco 3 and enable the touch screen to work

Post #6336088th Apr 2010 10:59 pm
wiggs

Yes it can be done ...i enabled it for him .

What i said was the dealer cant enable it ....so i would be cautious of what they tell you being as they cant have ever fitted one !!
Post #6336108th Apr 2010 11:04 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Edwin,

For probably less than the cost of a Fault Mate (note: I will be ordering one before going "out bush" once my D4 arrives, so I'm not bagging them!), you could fly Wiggs in for the day and have him do the tricky bits Question
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #6336439th Apr 2010 4:01 am
tjp74

So who did it? Besides enabling it using a faultmate, I could use some help or guidelines on wiring the whole thing.
 TJ

Post #6336699th Apr 2010 8:43 am
tjp74

Ok foumd the guy anong with his installation guide. Looks like my biggest challenge is, as I feared, finding a way to edit cinfiguration file without spending $1500 on faultmate. Can I buy it and resell it?
 TJ

Post #6336919th Apr 2010 9:42 am
Ajay(UK)

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Guys I am happy to answer any questions you may have but just in case you haven't read the details of my retrofit the thread and link to my guide is here:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic48869.html

I have checked Microcat and it appears that the parts required for a D4 are the same as used on the D3 so picking up the necessary components via a "trusted" auction site should be straight forward Wink regardless of which side of the Atlantic you are, but my research tells me that in the USA you pay a heavy premium for Land Rover ICE parts Shocked

A region 1 DVD changer recently sold here in the UK for £75 Rolling Eyes I rekon thats less than $100 Shocked I always tell people to do your research properly, set your budget, be patient and eventually the right items will turn up at a fair price.

As for the wiring, no amount of research, even with the help of TLO could we find or identify part numbers for "just" the necessary RSE cables that run in the main ICE navigation loom so I'm afraid pulling them from a wrecked Sport or D3 is really the only option at present Sad

Edwin: I really dont believe the necessary cables will be in your car as Land Rover have different wiring looms with different part numbers for each option and configuration Rolling Eyes If you want to check then you need to remove the rear right hand quarter panel and look for any of the cables as shown in my guide but I really think you would be wasting your time.

The last and probably the most significant problem for "State side" retrofit in either D3 or D4 is you dont have a "Wiggs" with a faultmate Wink When I connected the RSE module for the first time I too hoped that maybe the system would recognise the kit and switch on the home screen menus but it doesn't Big Cry In the diagnostic menu it does show up under the video inputs but not in the main list of components so YOU NEED THE CCF CHANGED to get the correct menus on the home screen Exclamation Even here in the UK I am not sure if anyone has a faultmate licence for a D4 yet or even if the kit exists yet? Try asking BBS SPY Confused

Sorry I cant be more positive at present but in time I am sure you will also be able to make this happen Embarassed

Regards,
Andy.
 2022MY Defender 110 D250 HSE X Dynamic, Gondwana with options!
2015 Range Rover 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver, Black Pack
Gone:Disco 4 HSE Luxury, Firenze Red, Ebony/Ivory
Gone:2006 FFRR TD6 Autobiography, Black
Gone: 2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible, Italian Racing Red😢
Gone: 2008 Disco 3 HSE, Hybrid Tv + Retro-fit RSE System & DVD
Gone: 2010 FFRR TDV8 Vogue SE, RSE & DVD, Stornoway Grey 

Post #6337229th Apr 2010 11:11 am
edwin starr

Cheers for the advice Andy.
I have downloaded your guide, which I am sure will come in usefull in this project.
I have been compyling the hardware from said auction site, and am at the stage of ordering the headrest frames with the wireing and the DVD bracket in from my LR parts dealer.
When they arrive I will be fitting these items so will be removing trim etc to expose any (Probabley none) cabling.
I will keep Disco.co.uk posted

Post #6337299th Apr 2010 11:33 am
wiggs

Ajay(UK) wrote:
Even here in the UK I am not sure if anyone has a faultmate licence for a D4 yet or even if the kit exists yet? Try asking BBS SPY Confused Andy.

Pete at BAS (site sponser ) has the D4 software ...full licence .

I have not bothered yet as i cant test anything first ( have a D3 ) and there are not enough D4's about to justify the cost (at the moment )
Post #6337489th Apr 2010 12:42 pm
tjp74

Yes, it's hard to find these parts on state side but I do have access to UK auction site so I was able to pickup a pair of new LCD screens and new remote control for not much. It was the DVD changer that was most expensive at $320 but it was a brand new one so it's not too bad.

Can someone with microcat comfirm that main RES ECU for D4 is same as one in D3 and other RRS and FFRR? I don't have an access to microcat yet but some of part numbers I have is that there are more then 1 part number for the ECU depending on model year.

Due to more favorable exchange ratio of UKP vs USD, faultmate MSV2 doesn't seem too out of reach now, just under $1200. But still too expensive for just 5 minutes of usage. if BBS allows resale of this device I might just buy it, use it and resell it with significant discount. Anyone interested? Some of car clubs buy these expensive special tools and rents them to members for fees. I wish we can do that...

Ajay(UK): your written up will come in very handy and your work has been a great inspiration. As I said I was kind of in a holding mode and debating if I should just give up. This is what I needed to get this going again.
 TJ

Post #63423510th Apr 2010 5:34 pm
Ajay(UK)

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

tjp74 wrote:

Can someone with microcat comfirm that main RES ECU for D4 is same as one in D3 and other RRS and FFRR? I don't have an access to microcat yet but some of part numbers I have is that there are more then 1 part number for the ECU depending on model year.

Starting with the oldest first the part numbers for the Rear Screen Entertainment Module are as follows:

D4 + RRS (10+) = LR017366
D3 = LR01130, YIL500080
RRS(05-09) = YIL000053, YIL000054, LR011330, YIL500080
FFRR (05-09) = YIL000052, YIL000053, YIL000054, LR01130, YIL500080

Mine is a YIL000053 taken from a 2006 RRS.

As the module performs the same function on each car I doubt it really matters which one you use as they should be the same Confused but this is just my "humble" opinion Wink

Andy.
 2022MY Defender 110 D250 HSE X Dynamic, Gondwana with options!
2015 Range Rover 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver, Black Pack
Gone:Disco 4 HSE Luxury, Firenze Red, Ebony/Ivory
Gone:2006 FFRR TD6 Autobiography, Black
Gone: 2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible, Italian Racing Red😢
Gone: 2008 Disco 3 HSE, Hybrid Tv + Retro-fit RSE System & DVD
Gone: 2010 FFRR TDV8 Vogue SE, RSE & DVD, Stornoway Grey 

Post #63426810th Apr 2010 7:31 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

OK
I am now also on the hunt for parts to do this to my D4, I know I need to source wiring but what other componets do I need, 2x headrest monitors/screens, DVD player and bracket, control module and aux panel, what other parts?
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #63435310th Apr 2010 10:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
edwin starr

Part Number for Head rest in premium ebony leather LR016673
Black plastic cowl for rear of headrest HKK500030PVJ
Wiring Frame (Headrest posts with cabling in) LR020057
Housing for DVD player HKK500020

The correct DVD player in the Disco 4 is XQE500600 Due to the fact that this is around £750 I think everyone attempting this project will be looking on the auction website for a suitable alternative.

When I have all of my components, before going to the breakers yard I am going to look into buying the correct terminals (Hopefully RS components or Maplins may stock them) and make up my own wiring looms.

Post #63441311th Apr 2010 9:53 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >