Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

EAS Pressure sensor location
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
alex0264

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4
EAS Pressure sensor location

Please could somebody point me in the direction of the above, I believe it's somewhere on the compressor? It is reporting a supply voltage of 0.8, when it should be around 4.9. Ideally I need to check the supply voltage for the sensor coming out of the RLM, but at present the sensor is probably easier to get to!

Thank you
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 - D4 HSE Luxury Scotia Grey - Pending...
2014 - D4 HSE Indus Silver - A total mystery
2011 - D4 HSE Stornoway Grey - Legendary car
2006 - D3 HSE Buckingham Blue - Moneypit v1 

Post #237133317th Jun 2024 9:43 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

It's in the reservoir valve block just forward of the compressor, but inside the compressor housing on the passenger side chassis rail. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #237134517th Jun 2024 10:53 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: EAS Pressure sensor location

alex0264 wrote:
Please could somebody point me in the direction of the above, I believe it's somewhere on the compressor? It is reporting a supply voltage of 0.8, when it should be around 4.9. Ideally I need to check the supply voltage for the sensor coming out of the RLM, but at present the sensor is probably easier to get to!

Thank you

If u don’t mind me adding , please also check ur earth connections

Post #237134718th Jun 2024 12:44 am
Worms

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

When I checked mine, the GAP Tool was telling me that the supply voltage was 4.9, but it was much lower when measured at the sensor, indicating a wiring fault (which is quite common). Because of this, my assumption was that the quoted supply voltage figure was actually the figure at the module itself.

Unfortunately, in my case, the old wiring has been piggy-backed with a new one at the NSF connector and I have yet to find where it splices back in to the harness.
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW - still got this, non-runner on SORN.
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #237135018th Jun 2024 6:35 am
alex0264

PROFSR G wrote:
It's in the reservoir valve block just forward of the compressor, but inside the compressor housing on the passenger side chassis rail. Thumbs Up

Thanks - bang on the money, exactly where you said it would be!
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #237137818th Jun 2024 8:34 pm
alex0264

gstuart wrote:
alex0264 wrote:

Thank you

Thanks Stuart, glad you're here - I know you know your stuff with these machines.

Please can you advise which earth connections to check? I tested the supply voltage at the sensor plug and was getting the same 0.8 volts, and that was grounded direct to the chassis.

Post #237137918th Jun 2024 8:36 pm
alex0264

Worms wrote:
When I checked mine, the GAP Tool was telling me that the supply voltage was 4.9, but it was much lower when measured at the sensor, indicating a wiring fault (which is quite common). Because of this, my assumption was that the quoted supply voltage figure was actually the figure at the module itself.

Unfortunately, in my case, the old wiring has been piggy-backed with a new one at the NSF connector and I have yet to find where it splices back in to the harness.

That does sound like a headache, but good to know that at least someone out there has a pressure sensor with the correct supply voltage (or as near as)! Not relishing the thought of testing at the RLM, a battle with that plastic trim by the OBD port, then an uncomfortable position reaching up...

This NSF connector you're talking about, I'm assuming this is somewhere on that loom? I tried to follow the loom from that plug, but it disappeared somewhere off up above the compressor. All looked to be mint in there, but then I suppose it should be with a plastic cover over it.

Post #237138018th Jun 2024 8:38 pm
gstuart

alex0264 wrote:
gstuart wrote:
alex0264 wrote:

Thank you

Thanks Stuart, glad you're here - I know you know your stuff with these machines.

Please can you advise which earth connections to check? I tested the supply voltage at the sensor plug and was getting the same 0.8 volts, and that was grounded direct to the chassis.

Hi mate

Shucks ur make me blush , there are considerably more knowledgeable members than myself , but bless u for such kind words

The earths and connections on ur D4 I believe are either behind the drivers or the passenger side headlight , seeing it’s different from a D3

Indeed The control module provides a 5V reference voltage to the pressure sensor and monitors the return signal voltage from the sensor.

Maybe all that’s needed is the connector pulled apart and sprayed with electrical cleaner , also once the connector is back together I’ve used a multimeter to ensure power is going into the connector and back out the other one by back probing it therefore proving the connector is ok

So with that black connector ur looking for either behind the passenger or drivers side here are the wire colours to help u identify the pressure sensor connector

Pin 14 is yellow black -5 Vdc pressure sensor wire
Pin 15 is orange and slate grey - signal wire
Pin 16 is yellow and pink - ground wire

When Ive cleaned earths have used a dremel with a wire wheel and on re installation used some copperslip

At the end of the day hope none of this is trying to teach u how to suck eggs plus assume the battery voltage with the engine off is around 12.6 Vdc

Gary

Last edited by gstuart on 19th Jun 2024 2:21 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #237139119th Jun 2024 12:52 am
gstuart

As a reference on the ECM the pressure sensor connector is number 3 - Connector C2320

The black connector is number C2293 and C2294

It’s showing to be on the passenger side but if not there plse look on the drivers side , I’ve also managed to find the PIN numbers of the black connector , but all the numbers should be on the back of each connectors

Alas the pictures of all the connectors are for LHD vehicle

Hope this is useful to u

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #237139419th Jun 2024 1:58 am
gstuart

This shows the C2320 which is the connector which goes to the ECM for the pressure sensor , again I’m afraid picture showing LHD

But wished to at least share the picture , also not sure if the earths lower in the picture are used by the C2320 connector , if the 5Vdc wire is ok maybe one of these earths are bad and need cleaning ?

Hope this is useful to u

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I’ve also found this kind of test light invaluable , as I got caught out once checking continuity with a multimeter as wasn’t putting the wire under load

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #237139519th Jun 2024 2:03 am
Worms

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Gstuart, these are very useful diagrams! Where did you find them? Wish we could track down a similar set for the D3! I didn't realise that the D4 had that critical C2293 connector moved up out of the salt spray to a more sensible location.

On the D3, with the C2293 connector behind the NSF wheel arch liner, the yellow and black wire runs forward, then round below the engine before somehow heading back along to the compressor and pressure sensor. I had expected to be able to find it with the rest of the loom under the passenger side door frame, but the parallel path shown (in green) on the D4 diagram makes a lot more sense and I am guessing this is on the other side of the longitudinal chassis rail. So that gives me further clues as to where my spliced wire heads to!
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW - still got this, non-runner on SORN.
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #237140519th Jun 2024 9:21 am
gstuart

Hi mate

I found those working diagrams from here after someone else shared them

Indeed those connectors were as far as I’m aware from 2007 were moved to behind the head lights

I have been trying to find out where each wire goes for those 3 x connectors but is a bit of a minefield tracking them down one by one

Post #237143819th Jun 2024 4:50 pm
alex0264

Thank you very much - that is some extensive information there! I will certainly take a look at those earth points and some of the connectors. I've since read another a post about one of the wires getting damaged somewhere, so I'll be sure to check those too.

It's interesting that it's not registering this drop in voltage as a fault, as I would have expected this to be way out of range consider it's over 4 volts down. It is definitely responsive to changes, because as soon as I pulled the plug off the sensor it logged a fault. Just hoping it is something that's not to awful to get to, as I would prefer not to have to look at the RLM - it really is the perfect recipe for a stiff neck and back!

Sorry I forgot to say, battery voltage is all over the place, but with the engine off it's anywhere between 11.9-12.5 volts, then most of the time when the car is running it's around 14.8 volts. Battery was replaced the day after boxing day (it failed on me on Christmas day), and the BMS was reset after fitting.

Post #237144619th Jun 2024 7:20 pm
gstuart

Ur so welcome

Just a thought as the battery Vdc is all over the place it might be worth also checking the drivers side earth connection that’s hidden behind the liner

Know these earth cables can fail , just wished to least share that in case that’s ultimately ur issue

Plse let us know how u get on

Post #237163322nd Jun 2024 1:43 am
alex0264

I do indeed need to get that earth cable checked, as I'm having some other electrical issues including the dreaded rotary gear selector not raising. What's even more strange with that is the fact said rotary selector makes a grinding noise when you open the car door for about 4 seconds, and sometimes when you depress the brake pedal. Sadly, it's at the point now where 98% of the time it does not raise at all.

On the pressure sensor side of things I decided to try removing the inner arch lining (NSF), as I've read about the three connectors located there which can cause problems. To my dismay there was nothing there, not a single plug anywhere! I can only assume that on the last of the D4s they've moved these looms, perhaps to resolve said problem? On a plus side I've had an issue with ants in the car recently, and as I pulled the arch lining out several clumps of dirt fell out full of ants! I only noticed when I found the damn things crawling all over me, needless to say at least that was a result evicting them.

Post #237173223rd Jun 2024 2:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >