Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Greetings from ...........
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 53 of 66 <123 ... 525354 ... 646566>
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

That really is no way to treat SWMBO

She at least deserves a medium sized locker Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #205455220th May 2019 11:21 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Not at Y700!!!!! Shocked Shocked

Post #205476421st May 2019 12:08 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Bit of a trip to the Sakurajima volcano today. Bit of a ferry ride across to the “island”, well it was an island until 1914 when a cheeky little lava flow reached the other side of the bay.

Click image to enlarge

To keep these tourists/visitors in line there was a JCG gunboat ready to strut its stuff.

Click image to enlarge

If that didn’t get enough respect there was a submarine waiting to pounce. Mind you it was making more smoke than the volcano. Shocked

Click image to enlarge

First stop is the free foot Onsen (hot spring bath), at least with this one I get to share it with SWMBO and, coz it’s only for feet, we get to keep our clothes on! We started at the hot end of the Onsen and had to head downstream as it was hot, seriously hot.

Click image to enlarge

These are pools in the lava flows, we didn’t go down there but they looked toastie as well.

Click image to enlarge

Another ferry and submarine pic when on the walk across the end of the lava flow. There are a lot of these ferries here, far more than would be normal, prob coz of the volcano so they are on standby for evacuations.

Click image to enlarge

Up to the main view point on the west flank of the volcano. The tour bus is on the lhs, this is the first “tour bus tour” we’ve done and it was great. It went all the way round the “island”, not just the west side like the hop on-hop off bus.

Click image to enlarge

We liked this sign. It’s 5.1km to the next shelter in the event of an eruption.

Click image to enlarge

5.1km to a shelter like this.

Click image to enlarge

When it’s raining volcanic bombs like this! That’s going to be a VERY long 5.1km!

Click image to enlarge

This was a gate to a temple that’s 3m high, well it was until it got buried in 2m of ash.

Click image to enlarge

Yellowfin tuna fish farming.

Click image to enlarge

Some more views of the N side of the volcano.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And then things livened up a bit, unfortunately just as we were leaving a viewing area. I’ve never seen a tour guide usher her ducklings into the bus so quickly and the bus driver almost dived into the driver’s seat.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

That was fun, then back to the ferry and back to the mainland. Then it started again.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

A great end to a great time on Sakurajima, the tour bus took us to the station and then the Shinkansen to Kumamoto. Tomorrow we’re on a bus to Aso volcano, the train line is still cut after heavy rains a couple of years ago.

And if it looked pretty sunny in the above pics, it was. And I got a little fried. Shocked Shocked Not going to be cold tonight as I’ve got my own built in radiator. Thumbs Up

Post #205487721st May 2019 12:56 pm
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Great photos Del and great timing to catch pics of the volcano doing its thing - whilst everyone was still safe!

Have you timed yourself doing 5.1k?? Whistle

I imagine the smell of sulphur was very thick in the air - obviously not any use as sunscreen Rolling with laughter
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #205488121st May 2019 1:01 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Sulphur wasn’t too bad, only noticed it once. And yes, I’d deffo get a PB for the 5.1km dash. Thumbs Up

And yes, it was no good as sunscreen and I didn’t use and factor 50 stuff we carry. After 3 months in Vietnam in their heat & sun I was a bit silly thinking I was OK. But will be golden brown tomorrow. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Post #205488221st May 2019 1:05 pm
Down&Dirty

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Me thinks you angered the gods to cause that activity Whistle

Rolling with laughter
 MY24 Defender 90 X-Dynamic HSE
MY18 Disco 5 HSE Santorini Black Now Gone. 

Post #205492721st May 2019 5:32 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I’d ask for my money back if I had to shelter at number 28.. doesn’t look very convincing or sheltering. I’ve seen bus stops built more robustly Whistle Thumbs Up Whistle

Post #205494021st May 2019 6:06 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Down&Dirty wrote:
Me thinks you angered the gods to cause that activity Whistle

Rolling with laughter

If it got any more serious my secret, from SWMBO, plan called for a sacrifice. Carrying her up to the crater rim might have been a challenge. Whistle Whistle

Now I’m in trouble. Laughing Laughing

Post #205500821st May 2019 11:44 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

kajtzu wrote:
I’d ask for my money back if I had to shelter at number 28.. doesn’t look very convincing or sheltering. I’ve seen bus stops built more robustly Whistle Thumbs Up Whistle

And not exactly large considering the number of peeps around. Thumbs Up

Post #205501221st May 2019 11:53 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

PS And a gorgeous day out there for the bus ride to Aso volcano. Gratuitous mini pano from hotel room of Kumamoto. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #205501421st May 2019 11:59 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

And another day of buses, volcano then trains, this time Aso Crater. Thumbs Up According to the blurb that I can read it’s one of the largest caldera complexes (collapsed craters) in the world so was an ideal break crossing Kyushu from Kumamoto to Beppu. Thumbs Up

Aso Craters look pretty spectacular from the bus as it descends into the large outer ring of the caldera. There were a couple of steam vents visible but prob don’t show up on the pic.

Click image to enlarge

Then got to the railway station, had an hour long wait until the next bus up so sorted out lunch. Couldn’t resist a tray of these bad, obviously sharing with SWMBO. Deeeeeeeeeelish, deffo got 5 a day today. We think that’s 1.5kgs, just right for lunch. Along with a couple of rolls each. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Then up to the crater area. A few pics from the museum, first bus stop up there. The volcano was puffing away quite happily. Second active volcano visited in less than 24 hours.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Curry and Nan looked tempting but no room after all those strawberries. Big Cry Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

And a spindle bomb at the museum, note boot for scale, gotta have a scale and didn’t have my old trusty geology hammer. Thumbs Up No shelters around here, only a very faded evacuation plan that I didn’t even look at. Shocked

Click image to enlarge

And up as far as we could get. The actual crater ropeway and foot access closed in April due to high gas levels. The place deffo looked down at heel with a lot of demolition work going on.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And then back on the bus, normal service bus, down to Aso station and wait for the train on to Beppu.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I love the name, reminds me of Carry On films. It was a really scenic trip across the centre of Kyushu, with a good view of the crater area.

Click image to enlarge

And a nice place to enjoy a bento box, strawberries were a distant memory. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Now tucked up in hotel in Beppu with a nice glass of cheap VC. We’re visiting the Hells of Beppu tomorrow, all 7 of them. Or 8 if you count the interloper. Whistle

Post #205510022nd May 2019 11:51 am
Syd

United Kingdom 

Del.
Are you planning on visiting the UK as part of your world tour Question
Syd
 In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Down and out's Velar
In UK - Dare not say on this Forum
Gone - Lots of Lode Lane vehicles.
- Beta User 

Post #205511622nd May 2019 12:57 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I was wondering that syd….is he ever coming home ????

Post #205511922nd May 2019 1:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL

Ukraine 

Syd wrote:
Del.
Are you planning on visiting the UK as part of your world tour Question
Syd

Might be but not quite yet. Whistle

Actually heading back to Blighty on Sunday for a funeral next Wednesday but somehow managed to book a return from Osaka so normal service will be resumed from start of June. It’s a big world out here. Thumbs Up

Post #205512322nd May 2019 1:15 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

And good morning all in Blighty, and elsewhere. Hope it’s not too chilly there, it’s gorgious weather all across Japan and especially gorgious here in Hiroshima. Thumbs Up

Yesterday’s travels all went to Hells and back. Well all 7 Hells and back to the hotel in a bus, not a handcart. Whistle Beppu is famous for its geothermal gushings that feed a lot of the Onsens (bath houses) and the Hells. Luckily we went to the tourist info desk at the train station and the wifey there sorted us out, tickets & day’s bus pass - tick. Thumbs Up And best things to see in the best order - tick. Thumbs Up

Firstly off on the bus to the ropeway/cable car up to the top of a nearby mountain to partake of the views.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Unfortunately screwed the pooch timing-wise and watched the bus we wanted to catch back to Beppu arrive and depart as we were a few minutes from the base station. Big Cry Big Cry But it meant we had time to look at the retail opportunities, this cute bear featured heavily and he’s obvious it a 007 fan. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Then off to Hell on the 16 bus. So here’s a few pics of the various Hells, in no particular order. They are hot & steamy, smelling of S but not too bad. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

In the greenhouse, biiiiig bananas or plantains.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Peeps soaking their weary feet in the foot onsens.

Click image to enlarge

That’s were we got the Hell steamed nibbles, the egg was esp scrummy. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Cute butterfly.

Click image to enlarge

This one is a geyser but it wasn’t doing it’s thing because we were off to get the bus. We could have waited 45 minutes but we were jiggered.

Click image to enlarge

Now Beppu is one of the places where the Aussies, Kiwis, Canadians & the Welsh will be for the Rugbŷ World Cup. They should really enjoy the place, it’s a nice large town/small city, just not sure the locals know what’s going to hit them. Looks like a fan has arrived early, just not saying which nationality. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Finally for Beppu, one of the Hells was also a croc farm so part of the “attraction”. Now we normally don’t do such things but had a look. However we saw this sign so had to update our, well my, escape protocol, which normally involved our running or tripping up SWMBO.

Click image to enlarge

However with this beastie I’m sure it would ignore the starter, SWMBO, & head straight for the main course, moi! Shocked Shocked

Click image to enlarge

And finally, for Beppu, a pic of a commercial Onsen with the steam venting. These are everywhere inn Beppu and range from small onsens, small house size, to hotels. But they are everywhere. Thumbs Up

Post #205547724th May 2019 8:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 53 of 66 <123 ... 525354 ... 646566>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >