DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Injector O ring info
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
CraigE

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Tech Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Injector O ring info

Hi all,
I know there are a heap of posts on this but I have what I believe to be an injector leak from the top of the injector at the big nut, below the plug. Seems to be weeping. Research done seems to show that there is an o ring that can be replaced.
First question is does anyone know the correct size of the or ring?
Second question is has anyone done this in situ? Shouldnt be that hard with a 27mm Injector cut socket surely.
I see a kit in the UK but being told in Australia need a new injector or high pressure kit. Stupid design for a $1 o ring. Anyone have the specs for this o ring as may try a viton o ring supplier.
Cheers
Craig

Post #231960221st Dec 2022 5:21 am
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

The injector are not meant to be disassembled, therefore there are no spares available. Have you tried somewhere that rebuilds injectors?
In UK, I'd be contacting https://www.pfjones.co.uk/diesel-fuel-pumps-and-injectors.html

Post #231960621st Dec 2022 8:16 am
CraigE

Seems ridiculous for an o ring. The pics I posted are of a kit for exactly this advertised on ebay in the UK. I get they say not rebuild able but this is just an o ring and from what I have seen on removing the injector you have to take this off anyway so you dont damage the plug. Might just see if I can find a viton o ring supplier here in Australia. If not a new injector but stupid at $500 AUD when nothing else wrong.

Post #231960821st Dec 2022 8:32 am
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Have you had a look to see if the oring you need is in the injector refit kit?

Every time you remove an injector, you're meant to use a new fitting kit.

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/lr017437...8672-p.asp

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #231962021st Dec 2022 10:51 am
CraigE

Yeah mate I realise this. The issue is this kit does not contain the O Ring required in the kits here from what I can see but may in the Advanced factors set. That said the proper way to remove these injectors is to remove the area I was talking about that I have now been informed is the solenoid, is to remove this first and then use a slide hammer to remove the injector. Now I do also understand that often you can get the injectors out without using a slide hammer as I have done with the TD5 we have as well.
So my thought process is this could theoretically be done without even removing the injector, high pressure pipe and leak off pipe. I will need a 27mm injector cut away socket to do so though.
The only place I can find the oring in any sort of kit is from the UK, which I believe is a guy on this forum, However freight is ridiculous for an o ring. So what I think I will do is remove the solenoid and see if a local supplier can supply a viton o ring the correct size.
The info that would be handy before I do so is the actual dimensions of the oring, but cant find these.
If that fails it will be a a kit like this from the UK or a recon or new injector I suppose, but BS paying $500 AUD for all that is wrong is an o ring.
Thanks for the link as every kit I had previously looked at did not show this o ring.

Cheers
Craig

Post #231963221st Dec 2022 12:03 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

CraigE wrote:
Might just see if I can find a viton o ring supplier here in Australia. If not a new injector but stupid at $500 AUD when nothing else wrong.

I'm sure you already know, but if you measure the Inside Diameter of the o-ring, and it's Cross Section Diameter, that's all you need to specify its dimensions to a supplier. Viton V75 should be safe enough for that.

PS. I see that you're about 3k's from my brother in Falcon!
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #231963921st Dec 2022 1:00 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

CraigE wrote:
from what I have seen on removing the injector you have to take this off anyway so you dont damage the plug.

There should be no need to disassemble any of the injectors to remove them, if there is, then you're doing something incorrectly. Ive had lots of these injectors out and never had to split them.

Post #231965621st Dec 2022 4:17 pm
CraigE

Thanks. Mostly true. Cant say I have had to actually had to use a slide hammer on any injectors I have removed, though on a couple of occasions would have been handy. But the technical instruction shows using one.
Its more about whether I have to remove the whole injector to replace this o ring. No other issue than this o ring weeping.

Post #231971121st Dec 2022 11:06 pm
CraigE

rrhool wrote:
CraigE wrote:
Might just see if I can find a viton o ring supplier here in Australia. If not a new injector but stupid at $500 AUD when nothing else wrong.

I'm sure you already know, but if you measure the Inside Diameter of the o-ring, and it's Cross Section Diameter, that's all you need to specify its dimensions to a supplier. Viton V75 should be safe enough for that.

PS. I see that you're about 3k's from my brother in Falcon!

Yeah that is what I think I will do, just finding the right supplier close. Also depends on how hard the solenoid is to remove. Dont see the point of removing the whole injector, HP pipes and leak off pipe unless I have to for a simple o ring.
Was hoping that I could get the specs and get the o rings before taking apart.
Yeah across the estuary from Falcon, but about 15kms by road. My wife works at the Miami Bake House in Falcon.

Last edited by CraigE on 21st Dec 2022 11:25 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #231971321st Dec 2022 11:09 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

The slide hammer adapter goes under the threaded sleeve, not in place of it.

I appreciate that your issue is a fuel leak from the injector, the first thing I'd ask is 'why?' has the O ring failed or is there corrosion in it's seat? Injector refurb is something done in a very clean room, usually with positive pressure ventilation. If you can get a replacement O ring and the seating surfaces are clear of corrosion, then clean, clean & clean again before reassembly would be my advice.

Post #231971621st Dec 2022 11:15 pm
CraigE

Yeah for sure, if it gets that hard I will get a new or refurbed injector.

Post #231972021st Dec 2022 11:24 pm
CraigE

Well job done and not that hard. Hardest part was getting that stupid plastic cable tray out. 25mm spanner and came out quite easily. They are the thinnest o rings I have ever seen. In none of the standard kits or car shops. For time being I used a slightly different viton o ring and it has worked fine. Not saying you should and as soon as the fuel injection and o ring shops open this week will source the exact right o ring. But at least it is not weeping diesel anymore and a fire risk. I just used a smaller viton o ring and stretched it over so a similar diameter. Not ideal but it worked.
Process:
1: Lower car for us vertically challenged.
2: Disconnect batteries x 3 on mine, just in case.
3: Cut cable ties on cable tray (I am not putting mine back in but will shield) stupidest idea ever.
4: Unplug all 3 injector connectors.
5: Remove cable tray (swear a lot doing it).
6: Using a 25mm open ended spanner locate on the nut and give a slight tap with open palm. Once loose you wont need the spanner. You could also use a 25mm cut socket, but I had not picked my set up yet and shop I ordered it from was closed for a week over Xmas. You will know its loose as you will be able to move the top plug around.
7: Remove solenoid.
8: Remove old o ring (there was a nic in one passing fuel and the other was broken.
9: Clean solenoid with brake cleaner or similar.
10: Clean out top of injector if required.
11: Refit solenoid and hand tighten.
12: Set injector plug to correct orientation and tighten nut with 25mm spanner.
13: Refit cable tray. (swear a lot more and threaten to burn car to the ground while doing so, optional to lose skin.
14: Cable tie wiring harness to cable tray.
15: Plug back in injector harness
16: Reconnect batter
Done

Post #23209332nd Jan 2023 12:26 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

In case anyone else needs it, what was the spec for the o-rings you bought?
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #23209412nd Jan 2023 1:06 pm
CraigE

Richard,
As I have not used the absolute correct o ring I wont post what it was as being not entirely correct will open a can of worms if something go's wrong. I will post the specs when I take the old one and get a new one. The pic I have attached is the one that was intact but has a small nic in it enough to cause it to leak. As by the pic you can see they are ridiculously thin like just over 1mm.

Post #23209482nd Jan 2023 2:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >