DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Intermittent blue smoke on start up (TDV6) and oil misting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LUKBENPHI

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Intermittent blue smoke on start up (TDV6) and oil misting

Afternoon all so the symptoms are

intermittent blue smoke on cold/ semi cold start up, twice a week tops, driving it 5 out of 7 days

enough oil in inter cooler/hose on left hand side to fill your hands if you cupped them together ( replaced old hose as split) and some in the inlet pipe front and centre of the engine at the top .

Mist of oil as you look at the bell housing through off side front wheel arch when in off road height.

not enough of a leak anywhere to showing through the bash plates underneath.

has used about 600 ml of oil since i noticed the oil on the bell housing

I paid for the 90k service along with belts and oil pump earlier his year, only other time its being in a garage was for tyres and tracking, and front wheel bearings so nothing else have been touched in that area other than the service

initial thoughts with blue smoke might be either turbo or leaky injector but with the additional misting on the bell housing i'm not so sure.

Does not appear major currently but want to nip it in the bud

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Post #215680026th Jun 2020 3:06 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

It does sound like too much oils is getting past the turbo seals. Over what period of time are you using 600ml of oil?

The wet bell housing could be oil from a number of places, oil filter housing/cooler, turbo feed pipe, valve cover, rear camshaft seal, etc.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #215680526th Jun 2020 3:19 pm
LUKBENPHI

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

600 ml has been roughly last month and a half I'd say, can't say on miles as i've been here there and everywhere for errands and haven't clocked what miles I've done.

Would replacement turbo be a body of job? i'd get diagnosed before i changed it obviously

Post #215682026th Jun 2020 4:15 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

It can be done without body removal but its a pig. Investigate with the help of a small camera down the back of the engine to see if where the oil leak might be coming from. I'd suspect the vacuum pump seal as it's off side. (another pig to get at) If its a cam seal its body off for that but that seal is on the near side, so doubtful. It could be just the valve cover seal, but no small job either.

If you decide on body off consider now what other remedial work can be carried out such as suspension arms, gearbox service, brake pipes, engine seals and belts, rust issues, etc. If there is nothing else you want to to its perhaps a waste to remove the body.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #215682426th Jun 2020 4:35 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

LUKBENPHI wrote:
i'd get diagnosed before i changed it obviously

If your turbo has been fine for years and it starts to leak. You need to look at a few things. First off check shaft play. There is always a little side to side. But, it shouldn’t touch the compressor housing. Next check the in and out play. You really shouldn’t feel much at all. If you do, you are in the beginning stage of thrust bearing failure. All of those can be fine and still leak. You can have carbon failure. That is when burn oil has cut up the steel on the turbine shaft. That makes the groove too big for the seals to keep the in the oil. This is the most popular failure You see in the small frame turbochargers. Next you should check crank case pressure. A bad PCV system can make the turbo leak. Also to much piston blow by. Why can these two reasons make the turbo leak? Well, it’s as simple as blocking off the oil return line on the turbocharger. The return line is connected to the crank case. The piston blow by back tracks up the return line. It will then push oil through the seals. And the seals are more designed to keep turbine and boost pressure out of the crank case.

(Note:
For me general technical knowledge, but Because cut & paste is quicker than typing longer facts, when english is your non native language i did take this text from Someone called Tim Scott published on Jun 5, 2015)
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #215684926th Jun 2020 6:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >